Avoiding the Inevitable...
Dec 17, 2008 at 9:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

VoLTaG3

Banned
Alright guys I've been reading about the Shure SE530 cable splitting and revealing the internal copper wire. The cable seems to fail where it loops over your ear. I've been informed that perhaps a chemical in some of our sweat reacts with the cables rubber material and weakens it over time. I've also read that periodically wiping the wires with a soapy towel, tissue, cloth, etc... will prevent the problem.

How many of you guys have owned the Shure SE530's without any problems? How long have you owned them? Also did you periodically clean the wires after use?

I'm aware of the 2 year warranty provided by Shure but I dont want to be without these earphones for 3 weeks. lol, they're too damn good.

Dec 17, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 9
I have the Shures SE110, and I have no problems with the wire. I heard that the chemical makes it harder :/ My wires curve round my ears and haven't broken yet after 10 months, so good for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 17, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright guys I've been reading about the Shure SE530 cable splitting and revealing the internal copper wire. The cable seems to fail where it loops over your ear. I've been informed that perhaps a chemical in some of our sweat reacts with the cables rubber material and weakens it over time. I've also read that periodically wiping the wires with a soapy towel, tissue, cloth, etc... will prevent the problem.

How many of you guys have owned the Shure SE530's without any problems? How long have you owned them? Also did you periodically clean the wires after use?

I'm aware of the 2 year warranty provided by Shure but I dont want to be without these earphones for 3 weeks. lol, they're too damn good.

VoLTaG3,
No problem here, after using SE530's for 18 months.
(although the cable is much stiffer, not as unobtrusive as the Westone 3 cable)

Dec 18, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #5 of 9
I believe most of not all post 2008 manufactured SE530 come with a new cable that are more resistant to cracking.

Dec 18, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #6 of 9
More Resistant? or just delaying the Inevitable? Shure probably is hoping that it'll last for 2 years.. then crack soon after

Dec 18, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #7 of 9
I am amazed everytime I read about this. I owned SE530 for a year, worked out and sweated in them 5-6 times per week and never showed any signs of wear let alone breakage/damage. I had an "old" version as well as "new improved" version cable. Seemed the same to me.

Dec 18, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #8 of 9
Yeah it does happen to alot of people with pictures to show for it... but how did u wear it Spyro and did you straighten it out after usage. Is it heavy continues usage as well (dont take it off for 2 hours straight etc) Im sure u have wear it over the ear style, cable hang out the back or front?

Dec 18, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #9 of 9
Cable around the ear then hanging in the front. About an hour straight during those exercise sessions. No not extraordinarily long session but certainly consistent and regularly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back