Avid listener with a desire for better gaming positional audio.
Mar 16, 2018 at 2:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Tohex

100+ Head-Fier
Hey All,

As a new recruit on Head-Fi I wanted to introduce myself and open a thread so that someone might push me in the right direction/threads. I have owned and whittled down over the years many headphones and now have some great options, getting the best out of something is where I find joy and audio is no exception. Which leads onto my next endeavour, I am looking for that next level in positional audio when gaming. I own and dislike the Astro Mixamp TR because it's plagued with a terrible metallic like echo that is acknowledged but has gone months unaddressed by Astro themselves... with an update that always seems to be 'being worked on'. I'm guessing they'll likely upgrade the unit within the year, which I don't really want to be a part of. I want to seek elsewhere as my readings leave me to believe that Dolby Headphone is no longer the best option as it was when the Astro A40s first came out.

I have a desire to understand the ins and outs of the whole Virtual Surround Sound space and it's many different forms a bit better. Correct me if wrong; Creative's CMSS 3D was the king in its day, I even had a Titanium HD up until I sold it recently when I moved to an ITX sized mobo and rig. However, the king of VSS today seems a much harder thing to nail down. I still see all these internal PCIe units on offer for hundreds of dollars with an almost indistinguishable differentiation across the board. I hope to find some clarity on these forums to help me weed out the marketing hype. I long for a clean, accurate and approachable solution which will give me a line out so that I can feed it into a proper headphones amplifier like Schiit's Jotunheim. That way I am getting a brilliant and psuedo separate solution for both music and for gaming that I can switch between at will.

If anyone has any recommendations on reading or watching I'd greatly appreciate your help. Otherwise, wish me luck on a what will likely be a confusing and triumphant-less journey as I get fed up and fail to crack the code.

Mar 16, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #3 of 14
Well, you might want to check the recent Audeze Mobius threads... : )

Thanks for the tip, did some reading. As I'm in Aus I'll hold off till I can get them locally after reading and hearing if others truly find them as good as they're marketed.

Mar 16, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #4 of 14
It might help to know what headphones you currently own or plan on buying soon?
Audio budget?

Mar 16, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #5 of 14
It might help to know what headphones you currently own or plan on buying soon?
Audio budget?

Shamefully I hadn't even thought of including that info. I currently own a pair of Sony MA900, AKG 701 and am looking at either some Philips X2s or some Senn HD660S if I come across them at the right price. Although I don't yet have it, I plan on buying a Schiit Jotunheim with a DAC module.

Right now I run all the cans through a terribly noisy Yamaha AG03 mixer.

In the interim I am actually thinking about buying a second hand pair a Logitech G533s a go, it goes against a few of my instincts but if it's purely for gaming... who knows I might be surprised.

For the long term though I am tossing up between a Sound Blaster Omni 5.1, Sound BlasterX G5 7.1, Sennheiser GSX1000 or sticking why my daisy chained output and gross (but functional) Astro MixAmp TR.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #6 of 14
Well, you might want to check the recent Audeze Mobius threads... : )

+1

Thanks for the tip, did some reading. As I'm in Aus I'll hold off till I can get them locally after reading and hearing if others truly find them as good as they're marketed.

It isnt marketing.
Two respected and trusted members here have prototypes,including the dude who started the gaming headset thread saying the Mobius is the future,and the future is here.

Im not grabbing it because its not compatible with consoles,but apparently a console version is in the works.

The reason to get in now is to save $150.00 usd vs paying full retail price in June.

Regarding what you currently have vs.what youre seeking...i think going from the K701 to the X2 for positional detail whoring is a step backwards.
X2 has +bass which is great for immersion value but can drown out faint cues elsewhere.

Mar 17, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #7 of 14
It isnt marketing.
Two respected and trusted members here have prototypes,including the dude who started the gaming headset thread saying the Mobius is the future,and the future is here.

I'll beg to differ... prototypes may be good, but they are not production models... things can change between now and release, and not necessarily for the better (Jason Stoddard's blog has really opened my eyes to the realities faced by manufacturers). I can understand why companies crowdfund, but there also have been horror stories that have ruined reputations (e.g. LH labs).

I'm personally excited to see the Mobius, but also cautious not to get carried away by the hype.... I notice Audeze have already had to do some damage control because of the Verge preview. Caution is especially warranted in Oz (and I assume also everywhere else outside NA)... shipping costs for a returned product will easily account for any early bird discounts.

Mar 17, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #8 of 14
shipping from Australia to USA is 150.00?

Mar 17, 2018 at 4:14 AM Post #9 of 14
shipping from Australia to USA is 150.00?
For a package approx the size of a HP: USA to Oz costs USD$40-50, Oz to USA costs AUD$60-80 Auspost, AUD$100+ DHL/FedEx. Including insurance and tracking.

So a faulty product will make a USA to Oz to USA to Oz trip. Some retailers will bear part of the return cost, but it's not a given.

Mar 17, 2018 at 4:45 AM Post #10 of 14
It isnt marketing.
Two respected and trusted members here have prototypes, including the dude who started the gaming headset thread saying the Mobius is the future,and the future is here.

Yeah, I saw some of Mad Lust Envy's recommendations years ago and I saw that he'd updated the list with a Mobius post but I wasn't, in fact, able to find that post yet, or I am blind as a bat.

Regarding what you currently have vs.what youre seeking...i think going from the K701 to the X2 for positional detail whoring is a step backwards.
X2 has +bass which is great for immersion value but can drown out faint cues elsewhere.

I hear you. I've read something similar and the X2/660S will be more for a casual listen. Just wanted to list what I was working with.

Mar 17, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #11 of 14
Welp im out of suggestions.
I backed the Taction Kannon Kickstarter several years ago,waited over two years to get them,and when they finally arrived I sold them a week later.They were advertised as being able to give gamers a distinct advantage,which turned out to be total horse doodoo.The added bass was a very neat and engaging feature,but it didnt came close to matching my Fidelio X1s in terms of detail retrieval.
Other than that(and the Mobius) I havent heard of a single new headphone to hit the market that has come close to dethroning the usual suspects.

Yeah, I saw some of Mad Lust Envy's recommendations years ago and I saw that he'd updated the list with a Mobius post but I wasn't, in fact, able to find that post yet, or I am blind as a bat.

MLE has been commenting non stop in the Mobius thread.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #12 of 14
Watch the Mobius. If the OSSICX actually sees the light of day, watch it too. Creative's Super X-Fi has super promise as well. Creative needs to repent anyway for bringing down Aureal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back