Aviation Headsets
Feb 2, 2003 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Mystyler

500+ Head-Fier
Anyone here in the know, I'd like to get any feedback at all.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2003 at 8:03 PM Post #2 of 7
What, exactly, do you want to know?

If you mean for music, forget about it. They are not good for music. Their main goals are clear (not accurate) sound for voice and, if talking about general aviation headsets, very good isolation.

Feb 3, 2003 at 5:01 AM Post #3 of 7
Oh, certainly not for music! For aviation use of course.
biggrin.gif

I've got two pairs - one made by Peltor, and then some Altronic C9070s. The Peltors are far more comfortable, but they don't fit in fixed-wing aircraft.
So, I'm wondering if you can get a rotary to fixed wing adapter of some kind, or if the Altronics are decent enough. Also, if I cannot purchase some sort of adapter for the Peltors, are the Altronics worth using or is it time to lighten to old wallet...

Feb 3, 2003 at 5:40 AM Post #4 of 7
While I'm not familiar with either of those brands, I have heard of Peltor so I would say that's the one to go with.

I'm pretty sure you can get an adapter for that helo set. I believe that the only difference between helo and normal headseats is helo sets combine the mic and phone plugs into one, where as normal sets have two separate plugs. (I believe this is the same setup the military uses)

There shouldn't be any other difference.

Make sure that it is indeed a helo set and not a panel-powered ANR set. If it is the latter, I do not know tha tit will work with a helo adapter.

A simple Google search gave me this: http://shopping.pilotportal.com/cata...productid=1697

Of course, with both aviation and regular headphones, the best way to pick a pair is to try them out.

Feb 3, 2003 at 6:56 AM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for the link - I didn't know google could be that helpful!
eek.gif

That David Clark H10-13.4 Headset pic on the link you gave me looks exactly like my C9070s, except for a different volume/power knob and slightly different mic, and where the logo is I have written "Altronic C 9070". A klone, perhaps? They don't feel or look cheap at all. In fact, really the only thing that is making me want to use the Peltors is that I have no idea how to adjust the Altronics - they squeeze my head so tight I can only wear them for 10 minutes max, which is my I'm rather reluctant to take them flying. They also have a switch box adapter that terminates in a stereo mini and mono micro plug.
I might have to find $60 to try them both out, as the Peltors definately are helo phones. Plus they are black.
biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2003 at 12:29 PM Post #7 of 7
The screws I had found (they are evil to loosen), but the fit is perfect except for the pressure exerted by the earcups, and I cannot find a way to "loosen" them. I've got them stretched out over a wooden box to see if things improve, but nothing over the last 3 days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back