Average Joe Audiophile?
Aug 10, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #76 of 88
Judging by the Head Fi meet I went to most Head Fi-ers are approx. 20-30 years old.

There was a 54 year guy (me!) and an old guy there.   I call him old because he is older than me.
very_evil_smiley.gif
  He has a massive Stax collection.

Aug 10, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #77 of 88
Interesting thread.

Anyway, I'm a college student myself. Mainly making money by working on campus and internships; enough for a mid-fi set-up, which is pretty good for me. I don't have magic ears, perfect pitch or anything, so mid-fi is perfectly good for me.

I also do some music reviewing on the side as a job, so while I don't need great audio equipment for that, it certainly helps. Graduating next year, hoping to find a decent job. I'm lucky that I'm well enough off so that after college, I won't have a huge amount of loans despite going to an expensive school.

Aug 10, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #78 of 88
Quote:
Interesting thread.

Anyway, I'm a college student myself. Mainly making money by working on campus and internships; enough for a mid-fi set-up, which is pretty good for me. I don't have magic ears, perfect pitch or anything, so mid-fi is perfectly good for me.

I also do some music reviewing on the side as a job, so while I don't need great audio equipment for that, it certainly helps. Graduating next year, hoping to find a decent job. I'm lucky that I'm well enough off so that after college, I won't have a huge amount of loans despite going to an expensive school.

I think we have often wondered why Music Critics don't seem to think they need great sounding equipment to review music.
Any thoughts on this?  Just curious really.
redface.gif

Aug 10, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #79 of 88
Quote:

I think we have often wondered why Music Critics don't seem to think they need great sounding equipment to review music.
Any thoughts on this?  Just curious really.
redface.gif

No idea why honestly (since I'm on Head-Fi, so I'm somewhat confused too). I guess reviewers are more about just listening to music for enjoyment rather than analyzing things that in depth. Reviewing for me tends to be more of a emotional response than an analytical one; it's about how I feel about the music. I don't care if it's technically proficient if I don't feel anything. That's my take at least. People here listen to their gear; critics (hopefully) listen to the music.

But, getting better equipment certainly helps enjoyment.

Aug 10, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #80 of 88
Quote:

No idea why honestly (since I'm on Head-Fi, so I'm somewhat confused too). I guess reviewers are more about just listening to music for enjoyment rather than analyzing things that in depth. Reviewing for me tends to be more of a emotional response than an analytical one; it's about how I feel about the music. I don't care if it's technically proficient if I don't feel anything. That's my take at least. People here listen to their gear; critics (hopefully) listen to the music.

But, getting better equipment certainly helps enjoyment.

And now that I think about this a bit more, it really depends on whether the Music Critic is commenting on the performance & music OR the performance, music and recording quality.
(I'm sure any Head Fi-er uses decent equipment.)

I think would be irritated if read a review where critic said "This new album from XYZ band is fantastic, the writing is fantastic, they have never played better and the recording quality is first rate", then I found out that the critic was listening to music on Brand X el cheapo equipment. If the guy uses El Cheapo equipment, that's OK by me, just don't comment on the recording quality.
Anyway...................just my take on it.

Aug 10, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #81 of 88
Quote:

And now that I think about this a bit more, it really depends on whether the Music Critic is commenting on the performance & music OR the performance, music and recording quality.
(I'm sure any Head Fi-er uses decent equipment.)

I think would be irritated if read a review where critic said "This new album from XYZ band is fantastic, the writing is fantastic, they have never played better and the recording quality is first rate", then I found out that the critic was listening to music on Brand X el cheapo equipment. If the guy uses El Cheapo equipment, that's OK by me, just don't comment on the recording quality.
Anyway...................just my take on it.

Don't think too many of us write about the recording quality... only when it's terrible actually (and that can be heard even with cheap gear).

Sep 5, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #82 of 88
Quote:
It's all in the budgeting. I don't make a lot of money, but I have very few expenses so I can afford a $5k+ rig no problem. Being single, eating/drinking sensibly, and not smoking/drugs goes a long way in a hobby like this. When people talk about smoking a pack of cigarettes a day, for example, you are spending $6-10 every day. That's $2200-3650 a year on something that only deals damage to you. You can get a VERY nice complete rig for that kind of money.

I got to agree with you on that one i spend so much of my money on weed. Its enjoyment only last for a few hours and if i saved all my weed money i could have any rig i wanted! 
triportsad.gif

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #83 of 88
What is the general age group of Head-Fi? The place seems much more mature and civil than any other forum I've been on. Surprisingly I'd say a good portion are in they're late teens or mid twenties but you'll see a lot of older people too.

What % of the people actually work in a field involving audio? It makes sense if it's your job to work with sound so you need some expensive gear, but how many people who are in this just to chase after "pure and clean sound" like me? I'm just after the pure sound.

Estimated income range of average Head-Fi user? I know there would be the occasional low 30K USD/year guy coming to about how awesome beats are, only to be disappointed, but I have a hunch that the number is not over 100K USD/year either. There are a lot of younger people/students here (such as myself) who have a fairly low income (under 1k per year). Seeing the rigs here, I'd assume the upper end is well over 100k.

Is there true "sonic perfection"? What about just for one individual? With cash-no-object, will a person eventually find that pair of headphones that he will like above ALL others? I think you can have sonic perfection for a person. Though, sonic perfection differs by taste I believe.

Sep 5, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #84 of 88
Income range is a useless metric. The income required to live comfortably varies wildly with the location. You can't compare what someone makes in Idaho or Arkansas with New York City or Malibu,CA - and the worldwide range is even wider.

Sep 6, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #85 of 88
Quote:
What is the general age group of Head-Fi? The place seems much more mature and civil than any other forum I've been on. Surprisingly I'd say a good portion are in they're late teens or mid twenties but you'll see a lot of older people too.
What % of the people actually work in a field involving audio? It makes sense if it's your job to work with sound so you need some expensive gear, but how many people who are in this just to chase after "pure and clean sound" like me? I'm just after the pure sound.
Estimated income range of average Head-Fi user? I know there would be the occasional low 30K USD/year guy coming to about how awesome beats are, only to be disappointed, but I have a hunch that the number is not over 100K USD/year either. There are a lot of younger people/students here (such as myself) who have a fairly low income (under 1k per year). Seeing the rigs here, I'd assume the upper end is well over 100k.
Is there true "sonic perfection"? What about just for one individual? With cash-no-object, will a person eventually find that pair of headphones that he will like above ALL others? I think you can have sonic perfection for a person. Though, sonic perfection differs by taste I believe.

Judging by the Head Fi meet I attended in Toronto a few weeks ago, the average age is approx. 25.
One guy at the meet had a small mountain of Headphone gear, he was approx. 60.

I think there are quite few guys like me on Head Fi, I work as an EE, but have a background in professional audio.

Edit:
looks like I'm repeating myself, I said basically the same thing in post # 76.............................

Sep 11, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #86 of 88
I think income range is a poor judge for another reason though. Some people have different priorities. I bet there's people well over 100k here with 'modest' rigs. I don't make that much but I just bought an LL + 009. All about priorities.

Quote:
Income range is a useless metric. The income required to live comfortably varies wildly with the location. You can't compare what someone makes in Idaho or Arkansas with New York City or Malibu,CA - and the worldwide range is even wider.

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #87 of 88
I am 48yo and now have the disposeable income to spend on some really nice (to me at least) gear that I enjoy using very much- but my love of music is the same as it was when I was listening to my first stereo purchaced at a garage sale for $20 many years ago. Do not let the gear you have and can afford limit your appreciation of music.

That said, I always buy my gear as well as CDs used and have saved a considerable sum obtaining great equipment and a much larger library. With so many people in this hobby regularly changing and upgrading components the used market will allow you to essentially get close to double the "value" for your money.

Dec 25, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #88 of 88
51 so far...and I have made a full circle from 2 channel Class A in the 70's to 7.whatever and now more time spent on 2 channel.   I am enjoying the restart of vinyl since I have so much of it from the old days....I may have to get a TT again....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back