Dec 31, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #166 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This.

There hasn't been anything like it since the original Star Wars. It's a real leap forward in cinematography, and because of this movie there is a good chance that in 5 years a lot of what will be out there will be in 3D.

If you haven't seen this movie still, see it in IMAX 3D. This is essential, 3D is not just a gimmick in this movie but is put to full use and effect.

As a story there really isn't anything original in it, and as far as visual design there isn't much original in it either, at least to people that are familiar with Cameron's influences and previous works (or anyone that's played World of Warcraft for that matter), but it's still a well-done, solidly acted and directed film.

There will be a lot of 3D movies coming anyways. All major studios have committed to it. They did so even though 3D technology was still being developed (it still is). The idea is that with the high res material we can get at home (HDTV; Blu-ray), cinemas have to offer something different to bring people to the box office.
The 3D effect in Avatar is relatively subtle but effective. The movie was actually not made for IMAX so watching in RealD or Dolby 3D may let you see more of what the filmmaker intended. Then again everyone who saw it in IMAX seems to like it so I’m sure it works.
I think the real importance of this film lies on the performances of the cg characters and advances in motion capture technology. This is the first time computer generated characters can act and move convincingly. To me that alone makes Avatar a landmark film (never mind the rather predictable storyline). There will be more and more films made with the help of motion capture and it will only get better.
By the way, James Cameron would like us to believe that with the "performance capture" software, the facial acting of the actors automatically gets transferred on to the cg characters (he said it a few times in different interviews). Unfortunately that's misleading and we are not quite there yet. Animators and artists at Weta digital (Peter Jackson's company that did Lord of the rings) still had to do a lot of work on the facial expressions after the capture.
In any case, the result is what matters. We can now have cg characters that can more or less act like real actors, that’s a big step forward.

Jan 1, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #168 of 270
Saw Avatar yesterday in the Digital 3D (almost IMAX, but I'll see it again in IMAX 3D just as a reference point), but it was the 'prettiest' movie experience I have ever had. Nevermind the insipid plot, the manipulative character development, and cliche roles - it is simply the purest cinematic escape this year.

Also saw 'Crazy Heart', 'Sherlock Holmes' and 'Up in the Air' this week, so it has been a rather good season for cinema.

The best part of 'Avatar'? Seeing it without my wife - so now I don't have to argue with her about why it doesn't suck, and she is tortured considering the off chance (in her mind) that it is something she is missing.

The other thing I like about Cameron these days is that it isn't just the downpayment on a franchise - where the story has another day. While I do want the next installment of 'Sherlock Holmes', I hope 'Avatar' stands alone.

Edit: See now that it won't stand alone - ok, so maybe he works the storyline better this next time.

Oh, and for Sigourney - well, she looks great, but I'd want to hang out with Michelle Rodriguez.

Jan 1, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #169 of 270
I saw this movie twice, and I was hoping to enjoy it more the second time but I did not. Frankly I did not feel mentally stimulated at all and was quite bored. It may be a step forward technically but just as many people do not remember the first "talkie", colored film, or technicolor film, I feel like this film deserves to be forgotten. I feel like this movie will lose everything it has going for it when someone employs the technology with a story that deserves it... On other sites, I see people saying that this is one of the best movies of all time. Statements like that will disappear once other worthy films use this technology.

Jan 1, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #170 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by wowers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw this movie twice, and I was hoping to enjoy it more the second time but I did not. Frankly I did not feel mentally stimulated at all and was quite bored. It may be a step forward technically but just as many people do not remember the first "talkie", colored film, or technicolor film, I feel like this film deserves to be forgotten. I feel like this movie will lose everything it has going for it when someone employs the technology with a story that deserves it... On other sites, I see people saying that this is one of the best movies of all time. Statements like that will disappear once other worthy films use this technology.

I have followed this exact debate on several websites and I have to say that I generally agree with you. I really have come to lower my expectations for holiday blockbusters and movies where the hype machine is in overdrive to a greater degree than "normal." I liked "Avatar" for what it was, a holiday blockbuster that employed state-of-the-art technology. To say that "Avatar" is one of the best films ever made is at best premature, and at worst indicates an evaluator that hasn't seen many good films. Future films will clearly build on "Avatar" ultimately making it pale in comparison. I'm looking forward to Peter Jackson's two-part film "The Hobbit." It may benefit from some technology that James Cameron employed with "Avatar."

Jan 1, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #171 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking forward to Peter Jackson's two-part film "The Hobbit." It may benefit from some technology that James Cameron employed with "Avatar."

I'm sure it will, since Peter Jackson's company did most of the effect on Avatar.
I am looking forward to "The Hobbit" films too and would not be surprised if they show something more ground breaking. In fact, I have a feeling that they will be better films than Avatar.
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2010 at 6:58 AM Post #172 of 270
Since 'The Hobbit' is 3x the base story, and we know every last detail (from repeated re-readings over the years), I just hope the screenplay makes NO story compromises, nor should it, since there should be 5 hours of screen time. But, it should surpass this installment of Avatar - but, maybe Cameron really steps up his game in the next go round.

Jan 2, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #173 of 270
Saw Avatar with the wife. We opted to see it in Real 3D, as neither of us like IMAX (too loud, too big, disorientating, too expensive, too many people, just way too much of everything for us to comfortably enjoy a movie).

[size=x-large]WARNING POTENTIAL SPOILERS AHEAD[/size]

Pros: Sure was pretty to look at. The 3D effects were tastefully used. The colors were amazing, and the CGI/Motion capture most definitely raised the bar. The facial expressions on the CGI characters were almost perfect - this is the first time I have witnessed CGI able to capture human facial expressions so realistically. Also had some great action sequences, but they still weren't nearly as good as say the Epic battles in the Lord Of The Rings movies.

Cons: The story was "meh" at best, and VERY predictable. The character development was mediocre, and with the exception of Sigourney Weaver (which was good), the acting performances ranged from average to hideous. Michelle Rodriguez was terrible and forgettable, as always (I almost applauded when her character died), and the actor who played the "bad guy" was terrible, and his dialogue was as cheesy as dialogue out of a Michael Bay movie. Overall the movie should have been edited down by about 30 minutes. As it is, it was a bit too long, and as such tended to drag and felt slow paced in the scenes were we weren't in the beautiful CGI Na'vi world. If it weren't for the new technologies this film employed, it would be easily forgotten by me.

With that said, I must say that the reason we even went to see this movie was for the CGI and 3D technology. On that front, it did not disappoint. Everything else (story, plot, character development, acting) was average - just another typical blockbuster movie with a huge budget. If it weren't for the 3D technology, this would have been a rental for me. But since I am unable to reproduce the 3D experience at home, we went to the theater.

In summary: If you want some nice eye candy, great CGI, decent action sequences, some cool 3D effects, and an overall experience that can't (yet) be reproduced with a home theater - then definitely go see this movie. Just don't expect Oscar worthy acting, character development, or dialogue. Simply check your brain at the door, and you will be sure to enjoy this movie for it's technological advances in cinema.

Jan 2, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #174 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, except for that one Marine... who gets to be the big strong white man who comes to lead the poor blue folk.

Which quite possibly renders the moral of the story irrelevant, in that in the end, we still were the "superior" being.

Jan 2, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #175 of 270
Saw the movie yesterday.
So basically it is retelling of the American Indian story where they win this time around.
wink.gif

Jan 2, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #176 of 270
Just saw Avatar in 3D, and I have to say that I was surprised. After seeing Spoony's rant about this in his website I had lowered my expectations, but I was pleasantly surprised. Acting was average, yes, but characters were still interesting and story was still good. Even though it is a ripoff (retelling?) of Dancing With Wolves, Last Samurai and such, good story is ALWAYS worth of retelling and remaking. This time Avatar took this story to Scifi realms, and it succeeded in it really well, In my opinion. So yes I liked it, and will probaply go see it again soon. It wasnt an art movie and there are definetly better movies out there, but out of the blockbusters I have seen in past few years this is definetly one of the better ones and does not really deserve the beating some critics throw at it.

About 3D effects, they were quite tastefully done. Good thing was that they didnt try to make it too gimmicky, meaning adding a million different stereo convergence effects that force you to cross your eyes to see things that are bouncing towards you (and causing a terrible migraine to watcher in the long run), and instead the screen worked as a window to another world. This is what 3D is about! Though there are scenes where they used way too much stereo separation, like in scenes where Jake recorded his V-logs. Adding a lot of stereo separation makes closer things stand out and background goes really far away, like your eyes would be really far apart. But frankly it makes my brain and eyes feel wierd.

Jan 3, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #177 of 270
I just rated it in another thread.Superb visuals, but the story line was so-so.Not trying to knock the flick, it was enjoyable.I just felt it was a bit of a let down considering the hype.

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #178 of 270
I watched Avatar yesterday and along with the majority of the posts was pulled in by the stunning graphics. I also watched the film in 3D but a few friends mentioned it would probably be better watching it in 2D. I won't see it again but just will have to wait till it comes out in BR disc.

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #180 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure it will, since Peter Jackson's company did most of the effect on Avatar.
I am looking forward to "The Hobbit" films too and would not be surprised if they show something more ground breaking. In fact, I have a feeling that they will be better films than Avatar.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since 'The Hobbit' is 3x the base story, and we know every last detail (from repeated re-readings over the years), I just hope the screenplay makes NO story compromises, nor should it, since there should be 5 hours of screen time. But, it should surpass this installment of Avatar - but, maybe Cameron really steps up his game in the next go round.

I am so excited for these movies! Guillermo del Toro is directing them (Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy 1&2, The Orphanage) and he is one of my favorite directors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back