Dec 20, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #33 of 270
Just watched it by other means, and i must say the plot and story is pretty mediocre, can't comment on spectacular visuals like everyone else but some shots do look pretty realistic for CG.

Some parts kinda felt like a Bush administration deja vu.

Dec 20, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #34 of 270
This is definitely one to see just for the visuals. I hated the trailer and had no intention of seeing the film but was dragged by my significant other. The storyline is exactly as shallow and predictable as one would expect - Cameron has a way of making his movies appeal to the masses, whatever the subject matter. But the visuals are good - one of the most immersive films I've seen, at least since the first LOTR.

One thing that bothered me was the sound. They were definitely running it way too loud - certainly over 90dB in the action bits. Had my IEMs on (no music, obviously) the whole time as I was afraid for my hearing.

Dec 20, 2009 at 9:36 AM Post #35 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is definitely one to see just for the visuals. I hated the trailer and had no intention of seeing the film but was dragged by my significant other. The storyline is exactly as shallow and predictable as one would expect - Cameron has a way of making his movies appeal to the masses, whatever the subject matter. But the visuals are good - one of the most immersive films I've seen, at least since the first LOTR.

One thing that bothered me was the sound. They were definitely running it way too loud - certainly over 90dB in the action bits. Had my IEMs on (no music, obviously) the whole time as I was afraid for my hearing.

For me the sound was definitely not that loud. It wasn't IMAX or anything, just a normal cinema screen with 3D though.

Dec 20, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #36 of 270
like everyone else... i really enjoyed the visuals. but without the amazing beauty and stunning 3D, the movie would kinda suck. the plot and the characters were as 2 dimensional as the cinematography was three dimensional.

i saw it with my wife and 7yo son. afterward, my son looks at me and says, "daaad... that was NOT made with brand new technology."

Dec 20, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #38 of 270
yes but it´s not the flickering type or anything you might been using before
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #40 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicArmada /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The use of the Papyrus font ruins it.

you are kidding right?

Dec 20, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #41 of 270
Watched it now.

Sadly I got reminded why I go to the cinemas so seldom. Why is there so many people that think anyone want to hear them laugh even at the dumbest jokes? Some seem to think that is social behaviour and they do everyone else a favour with their laugh?

But anyway it was quite clear from the beginning that this movie is optimized for a younger audience then any of Camerons previous movies. Think Harry Potter instead of Lord of the Rings you get the picture. For that reason only it can impossible become a classic even though the hype makes you super critical. But I certainly didn´t have any issues with the story in Terminator 2/Abyss/Aliens... All you need for action movies and clever dialogue.

With such a budget you really must win the kids so maybe should seen it coming.
But that said I was never boored even though I am not the main target audience.

As for the 3D it took longer time for me to adjust this time. I will sit further back from now on I believe... In the end of the movie it was much sharper and partly also to it being shot with more CGI. Ice Age 3 was 100 % digitally shot which certainly helps I suspect.

I also liked the video gamey colour palette as a gamer quite familiar. Some may hate it for the very same reason but it´s okay since it´s for kids primarily afterall.

Maybe whine to much it was good fun but no it doesn´t match up with Abyss/terminator/terminator 2/aliens/Titanic at all I am afraid. Hope he will go back to since Emmerich and Bay and such crap directors that are good at raising funds aren´t doing it!

Dec 20, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #42 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicArmada /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The use of the Papyrus font ruins it.

Honestly? I think it fits the context. It's quite tribe like and the Na'Vi are a tribe. What you going to use then? Century Gothic?

Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sadly I got reminded why I go to the cinemas so seldom. Why is there so many people that think anyone want to hear them laugh even at the dumbest jokes? Some seem to think that is social behaviour and they do everyone else a favour with their laugh?

Where abouts do you live? I have never experienced that in the UK...
confused.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #43 of 270
Well british are the most developed, civil and polite civilization in the world so that explains it. As long as no football is involved of course
biggrin.gif

Maybe the movie is funny and I was just watching it with über critical mind from all the hype
tongue.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #44 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe my taste is different, but I've seen the trailers and thought it looked like a really stupid movie. I have zero interest in seeing it, good visuals or not.

Yeah.. Looks boring, & I hate CGI anyways, & the marketing.. Everywhere you look avatar.. My hamburger was probably made by Avatar.. Kill the hype. If a movie is good it will sell.. Cameron, how about that Alien prequel..

Dec 20, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #45 of 270
I don't find appeal in this either. The visuals to me mean nothing if the story and plot development is absent or abysmal. On another note, it looks like a really expensive screen saver. I'll pass. This would seem to be a downgrade from Titanic, his last work. If you want a good current alien movie, watch District 9. That has all bases covered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back