Avantone : Pro Planar
Nov 5, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #1,201 of 1,549
EQ my friend. Your biggest best friend. Get yourself UAPP if you use a mobile with the toneboosters add on or another EQ program on PC. Use Oratorys eq, you can tweak it to your liking. You'll save $380 or more there looking for a side grade. You may find something funner sounding, but lose the technicalities. The Planar has one of the best low ends I've ever heard, especially after eq. To put it, a funner sound would be something like the Monolith M1570, which to me is something along the lines of an LCD-2 but with a better tuning and slightly better technicalities. I personally though, find the Avantone Planar a more enjoyable experience. Better soundstage, better speed and transients, better imaging, better overall clarity. The Verum 1 is a good option, but to me, sounds warm and a bit more muffled when compared to the Planar. You may get some low end kick, but trade of a even warmer sounding/darker presentation. For something funner with around same technicalities. You may have to spend more which could bring you a few options. But honestly, why not give EQ a go? Save heaps of money, and you may like the Planar much more. I certainly did.

This is my last and final eq after months and months of listening to the Planar. I ultimately enjoy this the most. It has energy yet not being fatiguing. And it has low end, yet not being bloated. I been try out Oratorys low end and I felt 4db is the sweet spot and you can bring it down to 85hz if you want a little less. But so far, its been weeks and been enjoying this heaps with absolutely everything.
I don't usually EQ but I've been giving it a go with Peace and yeah, the difference is noticeable. Following your EQ suggestion I made them a bit more engaging (to me) and I may keep them, after all. Thanks for the tips.
BTW, I know it's stupid but... could someone please amend the title of this thread? Every time I read "Planer" the OCD kicks in :D

Nov 5, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #1,202 of 1,549
I don't usually EQ but I've been giving it a go with Peace and yeah, the difference is noticeable. Following your EQ suggestion I made them a bit more engaging (to me) and I may keep them, after all. Thanks for the tips.
BTW, I know it's stupid but... could someone please amend the title of this thread? Every time I read "Planer" the OCD kicks in :D
goddamnit now I can't unsee it either
also, what eq settings are you using?

Nov 5, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #1,203 of 1,549
goddamnit now I can't unsee it either
also, what eq settings are you using?
I'm travelling at the moment and I did EQ on my home computer. But I entered HardstyleLoco's values and then played a bit until it sounded right to me. Will post it once I am back.

Nov 5, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #1,204 of 1,549
I think some perforated leather pads may also make the Avantone more engaging, providing more bass impact even without EQ. To be honest I also find them a bit flat in their stock form. And then EQ can fix the top end easily as you noticed.

Nov 5, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #1,205 of 1,549
Got these recently. I hate the stiff crappy pos cable that comes with them. I tried four other 1/4" dual cables. Three of them, the right channel doesn't work. The two others (Silver Dragon and DanaCable play in mono. So only cable that work properly is the crap stock one. What is going on? Any suggestions?
It's has the same wiring as the ATH-R70X (someone posted a reply to me on how to resolder the headphones to make it accept other 1/4" dual cables, the alternative would be to use (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T95VC6K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 with an ATH-R70X cable)

Nov 6, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #1,206 of 1,549
At the Highshelf at 1400hz, I originally had it at 5db. It gave the Planar more life and energy up top. I also notice transients, detail and overall clarity does improve a fair bit. If you really want it sounding clean and crisp. Bring the low shelf down to 85hz and 3.5db. 1400hz 5db. And highshelf at 11000hz -2.5db. This gives the Planar alot of air up top. It's a very clean listening experience but for me personally. I wanted the Planar to be more warmer and smooth due to having my HI-X65 which is my detail monster 😊

Nov 13, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #1,207 of 1,549
Update: I stretched the metal headband so the ear cups would rest lightly against my head instead of clamping down, deforming the pads. Plus, I also carved out more foam from the pads giving them a contoured fit.

Results? Less bass bloat, great soundstage and less distortion in the mids.

Seriously, these are neat.

Nov 14, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #1,208 of 1,549
Okay another quick update. I modded the headband so the cups could swivel more forward and I think this helped the center image a fair bit. Nothing crazy but I love the space that these headphones have now.

For anyone who is interested in what I'm doing here's a list on mods.
  • Custom angled pads, foam only
  • scotch brite scouring pad beneath rear grill
  • stretched headband
  • front volume vent gap beneath pads

Nov 14, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #1,209 of 1,549
Okay another quick update. I modded the headband so the cups could swivel more forward and I think this helped the center image a fair bit. Nothing crazy but I love the space that these headphones have now.

For anyone who is interested in what I'm doing here's a list on mods.
  • Custom angled pads, foam only
  • scotch brite scouring pad beneath rear grill
  • stretched headband
  • front volume vent gap beneath pads
Updated pics :D

Nov 15, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #1,210 of 1,549
Well they look same as they did before except the pads don't touch when on my stand.

As for sound... They are less mid forward than the stocks and have good treble reproduction and extention. Bass and sub-bass are similar to stock which is good. They still lack in the 2-3 kHz region, same as stock. There's alot more space around individual sounds now, very noticable when doing A/B testing.

EDIT: I correct myself about the bass. My mods have better extenstion but less loud (bloated?).

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #1,211 of 1,549
So I just now removed the wire that connects the right and left cups and I think it may have affected the sound. I don't want to annouce this with any conviction, this very well could be placebo. I can't see why it wouldn't be.

Anyways, I religiously listen to sine sweeps (reseat the headphone, listen at different levels, etc.) and it now sounds like the two channels have better balance now when I swipe through the 2-3kHz region.

Nov 16, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #1,212 of 1,549
So I just now removed the wire that connects the right and left cups and I think it may have affected the sound. I don't want to annouce this with any conviction, this very well could be placebo. I can't see why it wouldn't be.

Anyways, I religiously listen to sine sweeps (reseat the headphone, listen at different levels, etc.) and it now sounds like the two channels have better balance now when I swipe through the 2-3kHz region.
For balanced operation?

Nov 16, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #1,213 of 1,549

Did you seal the hole for the cable

Nov 16, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #1,214 of 1,549
Nov 22, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #1,215 of 1,549
Hi,
I‘ve read all the positive things about the Planar here and bought one for mixing and mastering in my homestudio. I want to really like it and it is definitely good for mixing bass, that I can’t hear with my 5 inch Yamaha studiomonitors. I liked it and got used to it‘s sound. After 3 or four month the headband broke and I got a new one from Thomann. I lost the faith in it since then and really considered selling it for a Sundara or 660s. Please convince me to keep it 🙈. The headband Probleme seams relatively common as I can read in some reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back