Avantone : Pro Planar
Oct 30, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #1,186 of 1,549
Got these recently. I hate the stiff crappy pos cable that comes with them. I tried four other 1/4" dual cables. Three of them, the right channel doesn't work. The two others (Silver Dragon and DanaCable play in mono. So only cable that work properly is the crap stock one. What is going on? Any suggestions?

Oct 30, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #1,188 of 1,549
Got these recently. I hate the stiff crappy pos cable that comes with them. I tried four other 1/4" dual cables. Three of them, the right channel doesn't work. The two others (Silver Dragon and DanaCable play in mono. So only cable that work properly is the crap stock one. What is going on? Any suggestions?

Try a single entry cable rather than a dual entry

Oct 31, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #1,190 of 1,549
Apart from the horrible stiff and short (silver plated) cables that came with my Nightbirds I am perfectly satisfied with every single freebie cable I got with my headphones.
I seriously don't get the complaints. People even complain about HD650s cable, is it because it is plain black and not braided?

Oct 31, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #1,191 of 1,549
Make sure the cable is plugged in correctly. It's easy to get an improper connection if you're being too gentle.

I doubt this is the issue. The problem is likely that the right channel is wired to the tip on most dual entry cables in a Tip-sleeve configuration, but because the Avantone is wired to be used with a single entry cable as well the right channel needs to be wired to the ring to work correctly

Oct 31, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #1,192 of 1,549
I doubt this is the issue. The problem is likely that the right channel is wired to the tip on most dual entry cables in a Tip-sleeve configuration, but because the Avantone is wired to be used with a single entry cable as well the right channel needs to be wired to the ring to work correctly
OK thanks. I was wondering why the Avatone dual entry cable worked fine but none of the others would. This would seem to explain it.

Oct 31, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #1,193 of 1,549
Ah, I see what the issue was now. Yeah I'm actually buying a Hakko soldering station soon and I'm gonna rewire the headphone.

Nov 2, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #1,195 of 1,549
I have tried for several months but I can't enjoy 100% the Planars. Maybe it's because I am used to a more "fun" presentation, but these feel a bit boring and flat. Yes, I know they are purposedly flat - I am not blaming the headphones. I will probably sell them soon.
It's not all bad though, I really like the accuracy and the bass (present and precise without being overwhelming). Can anyone suggest a headphone with similar strengths but maybe a bit funnier? Not overly V shaped but with a bit more spark...?

Nov 2, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #1,196 of 1,549
Verum One? Similar priced, but less flat and neutral and with more spark.

Nov 2, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #1,197 of 1,549
Thanks for the suggestion - didn't know this brand. However I am based in Europe (Germany) - this may be a challenge.

Nov 2, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #1,198 of 1,549
I have tried for several months but I can't enjoy 100% the Planars. Maybe it's because I am used to a more "fun" presentation, but these feel a bit boring and flat. Yes, I know they are purposedly flat - I am not blaming the headphones. I will probably sell them soon.
It's not all bad though, I really like the accuracy and the bass (present and precise without being overwhelming). Can anyone suggest a headphone with similar strengths but maybe a bit funnier? Not overly V shaped but with a bit more spark...?
EQ my friend. Your biggest best friend. Get yourself UAPP if you use a mobile with the toneboosters add on or another EQ program on PC. Use Oratorys eq, you can tweak it to your liking. You'll save $380 or more there looking for a side grade. You may find something funner sounding, but lose the technicalities. The Planar has one of the best low ends I've ever heard, especially after eq. To put it, a funner sound would be something like the Monolith M1570, which to me is something along the lines of an LCD-2 but with a better tuning and slightly better technicalities. I personally though, find the Avantone Planar a more enjoyable experience. Better soundstage, better speed and transients, better imaging, better overall clarity. The Verum 1 is a good option, but to me, sounds warm and a bit more muffled when compared to the Planar. You may get some low end kick, but trade of a even warmer sounding/darker presentation. For something funner with around same technicalities. You may have to spend more which could bring you a few options. But honestly, why not give EQ a go? Save heaps of money, and you may like the Planar much more. I certainly did.

This is my last and final eq after months and months of listening to the Planar. I ultimately enjoy this the most. It has energy yet not being fatiguing. And it has low end, yet not being bloated. I been try out Oratorys low end and I felt 4db is the sweet spot and you can bring it down to 85hz if you want a little less. But so far, its been weeks and been enjoying this heaps with absolutely everything.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211103-071011_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg
    Screenshot_20211103-071011_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #1,199 of 1,549
EQ my friend. Your biggest best friend. Get yourself UAPP if you use a mobile with the toneboosters add on or another EQ program on PC. Use Oratorys eq, you can tweak it to your liking. You'll save $380 or more there looking for a side grade. You may find something funner sounding, but lose the technicalities. The Planar has one of the best low ends I've ever heard, especially after eq. To put it, a funner sound would be something like the Monolith M1570, which to me is something along the lines of an LCD-2 but with a better tuning and slightly better technicalities. I personally though, find the Avantone Planar a more enjoyable experience. Better soundstage, better speed and transients, better imaging, better overall clarity. The Verum 1 is a good option, but to me, sounds warm and a bit more muffled when compared to the Planar. You may get some low end kick, but trade of a even warmer sounding/darker presentation. For something funner with around same technicalities. You may have to spend more which could bring you a few options. But honestly, why not give EQ a go? Save heaps of money, and you may like the Planar much more. I certainly did.

This is my last and final eq after months and months of listening to the Planar. I ultimately enjoy this the most. It has energy yet not being fatiguing. And it has low end, yet not being bloated. I been try out Oratorys low end and I felt 4db is the sweet spot and you can bring it down to 85hz if you want a little less. But so far, its been weeks and been enjoying this heaps with absolutely everything.
That's a good call. They EQ very well, I think they are one of very few or maybe the only pair of headphones I own or tried that don't sound off or weirdly distorted when EQ-ed.
And I tried numerous presets for various headphones, self made and made by 'golden eared' folks who own professional measuring kits. Never liked any of those settings. In every case the headphones are robbed of their specific character and strengths. The worst example must be the presets I downloaded for the NightOwls. How to make a lush sounding pair of headphones thin and shouty, like a cheap pair of 80's plastic Yoko, Supertech or Audio Sonic headphones. They were supposed to sound more neutral with those presets? The NighOwls simply weren't designed and tuned for that kinda sound.
These Avantones are the exception, they really EQ very well, without sounding unnatural.
That said, I have my own favorite preset, a slightly altered preset forum member Heldaeus made. But it turns out I frequently forget to switch the EQ on without noticing or missing anything in the sound, which means in their neutral state I find them engaging enough.

Nov 3, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #1,200 of 1,549
Made a couple more changes to my modded Planar.

93082696-D802-40E6-94EC-8C7A10B20308.jpeg F9A670A2-7CF1-4B0D-BB2F-7C78B3293D55.jpeg

Now I really like this mod. Most notable difference is the presentation of the vocals(1) and soundstage(2). The bass extension(3) is wider too but the stock Planar tends to sound more airy.

1: Vocals seem to blend into the mix better. I think, based on listening to tone sweeps, the 1.3k region is damped enough to remove vocal honk.
2: Similar wideness to the Koss KSC75 though it presents differently. Actually not bad for gaming. (EDIT: Although, the center image is still vague but it is alot better than it was before same goes for the rear image)
3: Nice thud and rumble and not too bloated. I do know based on listening to sweeps that there is a slight peak @ 100Hz.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back