Avantone : Pro Planar
Mar 16, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #1,006 of 1,549
Again im considering to do the pad seal mod...
@Heldaeus I saw you wrote that blue tac would do the job, but im not sure they will stay on? I was thinking of something a bit more industrial but i dont know what to get or where...

Mar 16, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #1,007 of 1,549
Again im considering to do the pad seal mod...
@Heldaeus I saw you wrote that blue tac would do the job, but im not sure they will stay on? I was thinking of something a bit more industrial but i dont know what to get or where...
I wouldn’t go for anything too strong. Strong adhesion does not necessarily equate to better seal. Plus it’s a pain to remove. I’m using RoadBlockr from Soundproof Cow. If you ask for a free sample then come up with some reason why they send you some. The stuff isn’t that expensive either.

Mar 16, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #1,008 of 1,549
I wouldn’t go for anything too strong. Strong adhesion does not necessarily equate to better seal. Plus it’s a pain to remove. I’m using RoadBlockr from Soundproof Cow. If you ask for a free sample then come up with some reason why they send you some. The stuff isn’t that expensive either.
Since I live in Sweden I have to figure out who makes the same stuff over here... I got some 2mm thick tape that I initially wanted to use, much like the gorilla tape you used. But now I'm thinking maybe blue tac will do the trick, I would like something a little more sticky and durable though... Like the RoadBlockr stuff. I know I have seen it before somewhere... :)

Mar 18, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #1,009 of 1,549
Dear all, I am 99% convinced of purchasing these cans. However could someone compare these to the Hifiman HE400i, in case anyone owns both or have listened to them both?
Thanks.

Mar 18, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #1,010 of 1,549
Dear all, I am 99% convinced of purchasing these cans. However could someone compare these to the Hifiman HE400i, in case anyone owns both or have listened to them both?
Thanks.
I don’t know exactly how the 400i sounds, but I compared with the HE5XX... it's just a different category. 5XX and I think 400i just sounds much simpler, less detailed and less involving. Avantone has a very mature sound. At the moment my open Avantone Planar sound quite competitive with my closed Ether CX which costs around $800 – slightly less detailed, but much more fuller.

Mar 18, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #1,011 of 1,549
Thanks.
Well, I have no experience on HE500i, but I tried the Planar with the Sundara side by side, in my opinion, the Avantone dusted the Sundara in seconds.....

Mar 18, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #1,012 of 1,549
I don’t know exactly how the 400i sounds, but I compared with the HE5XX... it's just a different category. 5XX and I think 400i just sounds much simpler, less detailed and less involving. Avantone has a very mature sound. At the moment my open Avantone Planar sound quite competitive with my closed Ether CX which costs around $800 – slightly less detailed, but much more fuller.
I've always been curious about the Ether CX. Is it a much more analytical sound signature? If so I will take it off my want list.

Mar 18, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #1,013 of 1,549
I've always been curious about the Ether CX. Is it a much more analytical sound signature? If so I will take it off my want list.
Ether CX is more analytical than it should be ) I get tired of listening to them quickly enough. But, they pair perfectly with the Avantons for detailed listening and final QC.

Mar 18, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #1,014 of 1,549
Ether CX is more analytical than it should be ) I get tired of listening to them quickly enough. But, they pair perfectly with the Avantons for detailed listening and final QC.
Ha i see. I heard they react a lot to different earpads pairing as well. Seems like many people use different earpads than the stock ones. But at least the Avantone has a great balance with the stock pads.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #1,015 of 1,549
Ether CX is more analytical than it should be ) I get tired of listening to them quickly enough. But, they pair perfectly with the Avantons for detailed listening and final QC
Are you using EQ on the Planar? I've compared the Planar with the CX and agree. The CX is more analytical and slightly more detailed in the upper mids - treble area but also more fatiguing. But once I EQ the Planar, it's the complete opposite but also not fatiguing. The Planar turns into a whole different beast. The upper mids and treble finally shine through but are smooth and not fatiguing at all. I deffinitely hear more detail on the Planar once I use EQ.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #1,017 of 1,549
Is there anyone who has compared the Avantone planar with the K712 pro by any chance? The hobby has uncontrollably expanded, so I am looking for a little upgrade or equivalent cans.......
Hey there
I had both and did back and forward with them. From what I remember, from a sound perspective the Avantone is a superior headphone. The sound stages feels larger on the k712, but also everything sounds always quite far away. On the other side, the Avantone can put some music elements very close to you (even "inside your head") and some others very far, so the depth is much more well represented on the Avantones. Also another thing that the Avantones do extremely well, is instrument separation, and in my opinion it is not related at all with the frequency response (maybe the imaging or speed). You can really easily follow every line of the music without any particular effort, and yet that line is not even overpresent in the mix. As for frequency response, the Avantones is a never offensive lush sound, very adictive if you like it. On the other hand, the akg are far more light and more comfortable. After some hours with the Avantone my neck felt tired. I loved the Avantone.... but I had to return them... Quality control was not good and there was an annoying mismatch between drives (bass and some voices very often sounded not dead centered but slightly on the left... Once I noticed i could not live with it anymore, unfortunately). But I do consider re-buying it in the future, cause I really miss their sound that i enjoyed so much. Cheers

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #1,018 of 1,549
Hey there
I had both and did back and forward with them. From what I remember, from a sound perspective the Avantone is a superior headphone. The sound stages feels larger on the k712, but also everything sounds always quite far away. On the other side, the Avantone can put some music elements very close to you (even "inside your head") and some others very far, so the depth is much more well represented on the Avantones. Also another thing that the Avantones do extremely well, is instrument separation, and in my opinion it is not related at all with the frequency response (maybe the imaging or speed). You can really easily follow every line of the music without any particular effort, and yet that line is not even overpresent in the mix. As for frequency response, the Avantones is a never offensive lush sound, very adictive if you like it. On the other hand, the akg are far more light and more comfortable. After some hours with the Avantone my neck felt tired. I loved the Avantone.... but I had to return them... Quality control was not good and there was an annoying mismatch between drives (bass and some voices very often sounded not dead centered but slightly on the left... Once I noticed i could not live with it anymore, unfortunately). But I do consider re-buying it in the future, cause I really miss their sound that i enjoyed so much. Cheers
Thank you for sharing!
I shared the same thoughts on the Avantone Planar, some songs feel quite close, some feel in distance. Based on your description of the K712, I think it might be similar to the Sundara? Wide soundstage but maybe too "wide" in some cases. Also, I do find some discomfort after using the Avantone for hours even though it is well distributed in weights. And that is why I put my eyes on the AKG coz they look more comfortable.
There is no doubt that the Avantone Planar is amazing in sound, but I want to find whether there is a can that shares similar quality sound but with a more consistent and rigid build quality. My pair has no QC problem so far, it feels "solid" but fragile at the same time, especially when you compare it with Beyers', I don't own dt1990, but I can feel its solidness in its design, instead of "fragile" metal build.
All in all, I really want to have a pair that has the same sound performance as the Avantone, but in a shape that lasts. Based on my shallow knowledge, maybe the DT1990pro is the closest one within the same price range that built by larger brand(under 500)? But I haven't really tried it. I don't know much about AKG lines........Sennheiser HD series isn't as neutral as the Avantone...

Mar 20, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #1,019 of 1,549
Thank you for sharing!
I shared the same thoughts on the Avantone Planar, some songs feel quite close, some feel in distance. Based on your description of the K712, I think it might be similar to the Sundara? Wide soundstage but maybe too "wide" in some cases. Also, I do find some discomfort after using the Avantone for hours even though it is well distributed in weights. And that is why I put my eyes on the AKG coz they look more comfortable.
There is no doubt that the Avantone Planar is amazing in sound, but I want to find whether there is a can that shares similar quality sound but with a more consistent and rigid build quality. My pair has no QC problem so far, it feels "solid" but fragile at the same time, especially when you compare it with Beyers', I don't own dt1990, but I can feel its solidness in its design, instead of "fragile" metal build.
All in all, I really want to have a pair that has the same sound performance as the Avantone, but in a shape that lasts. Based on my shallow knowledge, maybe the DT1990pro is the closest one within the same price range that built by larger brand(under 500)? But I haven't really tried it. I don't know much about AKG lines........Sennheiser HD series isn't as neutral as the Avantone...
The HD600 has a similar sound signature to the Avantone but it doesn't have the same speed or presence. I think most dynamic headphones in this price range will have a brighter sound signature. I would look at high-end Focal or ZMF maybe.

Mar 20, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #1,020 of 1,549
Thank you for sharing!
My pleasure. BTW thank you to all members here who shared their experiences with avantone. I bought it after reading like 20pages of it in this forum. I revisited it and now is almost 70pages!
I am on the same boat! Looking for something more comfortable but with similar sound (a friend told me good thing about aeon flows, but i never tried one). As far as you say about the akgs and the sundara, I have a sundara too. Sound stage of that akg is way wider than the sundara, and the sundara feel quite brighter to my ears. Dynamic nuanges, and details are at a higher level on the sundara. I for example enjoy it a lot for classical and mostly instrumental musical, on very congested passages it does not get slow, on the other hand.... vocals.... I doesn't please me that much on the sundara. For that to be honest i much prefer the akg712. I guess it would depend on your musical preference. Also comfort, the sundara is quite lighter and more comfortable than the avantone, but still no comparison to those akg, they just disappear on the head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back