Avantone : Pro Planar
Mar 8, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #963 of 1,549
I need:
More powerful amplification.
New pads. (Deep leather pads)
Sealing of pads.
Burn-in.
Mental burn-in.
Consider removing the "L" & "R" dust covers on the stock pads. Those covers slightly muffle the sound. Also, I personally don't recommend getting leather pads or even perforated leather because it accentuated the mid-bass. The same scenario happens with deep pads which is why I ordered my Vespers to be a medium thickness of sorts. Probably the best bet for custom pads is velour with perforated microsuede for the cavity sides.

Mar 8, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #964 of 1,549
They love power. My Jot really open them up.
Yeah, that's what I thought. Virtually all planar headphones seem to perform better when they are fed more power, it is something inherent to the technology I believe.

In what way would you say it opens up?

What prevents me from really enjoying them right now is the narrow stage (or rather overly intimate placement of sounds), depth, dynamics, details, air, sensitivity.
When I say sensitivity, I mean it just sounds a bit slow and not nuanced/delicate. My DT990 is MUCH more detailed.

I am very sad that these can't be run truly balanced unless modded. Seems like such a missed opportunity.

Mar 8, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #965 of 1,549
What prevents me from really enjoying them right now is the narrow stage (or rather overly intimate placement of sounds), depth, dynamics, details, air, sensitivity.
When I say sensitivity, I mean it just sounds a bit slow and not nuanced/delicate. My DT990 is MUCH more detailed.
They do have a dense sound when they’re stock and I think that’s what gives them the “analog” sound characteristic.

Make sure to take the pads off and re-fit them. Press down on the pads firmly while trying to shift them back and forth and that will improve the seal. Think of it as you’re trying to attach as many hooks to loops as you can.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #966 of 1,549
Yeah, that's what I thought. Virtually all planar headphones seem to perform better when they are fed more power, it is something inherent to the technology I believe.

In what way would you say it opens up?

I am very sad that these can't be run truly balanced unless modded. Seems like such a missed opportunity.
Mainly the bass and the dynamics are improved. Just a sense of ease if that makes any sense.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #967 of 1,549
Give it a few weeks of use and change the earpads if you're not satisfied. It will open up and the earpads will provide a better sense of scale and air. At least that's my experience with this headphone. I'm sure we must sound like delusional audiophiles who try to justify their purchase but once those defaults disappear, it's becoming an incredibly well balanced headphone.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #968 of 1,549
Hi, guys, newbie joined the chat :) Have been looking forward to getting an Avantone Planar for quite a few weeks, since I tried it alongside Sundara and 660s in an audiophile store. And yesterday, I got it from B&H, the last black one in the store :) But I found out the sound wasn't as astonishing as what I have heard in the store, I was thinking maybe my fulla 3 doesn't have enough power, especially I saw some comments here it indeed needs at least higher than 250mw to release its full potential, so I bought a Schiit magni but right now I need a DAC as well, is there anyone who can help me to get a Schiit Modi other than AVexchange on Reddit, I just want a used one to try it out. Or you guys have other recommendations at the same price point since I think this forum is way more knowledgeable.

Mar 8, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #969 of 1,549
Hi, guys, newbie joined the chat :) Have been looking forward to getting an Avantone Planar for quite a few weeks, since I tried it alongside Sundara and 660s in an audiophile store. And yesterday, I got it from B&H, the last black one in the store :) But I found out the sound wasn't as astonishing as what I have heard in the store, I was thinking maybe my fulla 3 doesn't have enough power, especially I saw some comments here it indeed needs at least higher than 250mw to release its full potential, so I bought a Schiit magni but right now I need a DAC as well, is there anyone who can help me to get a Schiit Modi other than AVexchange on Reddit, I just want a used one to try it out. Or you guys have other recommendations at the same price point since I think this forum is way more knowledgeable.
A Modi should do you just fine. Which Magni did you buy out of curiosity?

Mar 8, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #972 of 1,549
The new "Classifieds" market here on Head Fi seems excellent. Check it out up above.

I would go for an R-2R dac such as the Soekris 1321 which is one of the cheapest you can get although it is much more expensive than a Modi.

Mar 8, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #973 of 1,549
btw, is there a big difference between budget DAC and more expensive ones?
There is a lot of debate on this topic but I personally would say not particularly. I think you’d have to spend several thousand dollars before you would hear a significant difference in a blind test. That is, significant enough to be noticeable even when you’re not listening analytically. If you can’t feel, let alone hear, a difference in the sound even if there technically is then it’s a bad financial decision to spend on a more expensive device.

Mar 8, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #974 of 1,549
The new "Classifieds" market here on Head Fi seems excellent. Check it out up above.

I would go for an R-2R dac such as the Soekris 1321 which is one of the cheapest you can get although it is much more expensive than a Modi.
I feel like R-2R DACs are really just novelty items. Do they really have a distinctive sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back