Availability of "Desttop" DAPs
Mar 31, 2014 at 4:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

JohnDoe1111

New Head-Fier
Does anyonehave any suggestions for a desktop DAP player?
I own several portable DAPs which I run through a dedicated headphone amp.
I dislike having all those external audio and USB cable hanging out. They seem fragile, especially with the micro form factor connectors.

The portable players work well, but what I am looking for is a "desktop" audio component which will play my external media through my headphones.
I do not need audio CD playback (optional), just my FLAC files.

I do want it to have a great built-in headphone amp capable of driving my 600 ohm cans.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Apr 18, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #2 of 9
I would also love something similar to this. I have a computer as my source right now, but it is too loud for open headphones. Though I wouldn't mind adding an amp to a stationary DAP, something quiet with lots of storage would be amazing.

Apr 18, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #3 of 9
This would be interesting, but I doubt any company is going to make one anytime soon because not many people will buy it. 

Apr 18, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #5 of 9
There are plenty of these. Not sure what price range you're looking at, but they range the gamut of the audio market. I recently read a review of the Marantz NA-11S1 on Stereophile: http://www.stereophile.com/content/marantz-reference-na-11s1-network-audio-playerdac
Is that the kind of thing you're looking for?

Apr 18, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 9
That's pretty awesome, more features than I need though. Thanks for the link, I'll definably have to check into Marantz more. What I'm really looking for is just an audio player with storage and a pretty good DAC, or ability to connect an external DAC. I think I would be willing to spend around $400, but I'm not sure if that is realistic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back