AV710 in Linux?
Apr 15, 2006 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

SomeoneWhoIsntMe

New Head-Fier
I'm running Ubuntu Dapper Drake (6.06), and with the asound.state thing I can't get any sound out of the Wolfson DAC
confused.gif

james@Tornado:~$ uname -a
Linux Tornado 2.6.17-rc1-ck1 #1 Fri Apr 14 19:31:15 EDT 2006 x86_64 GNU/Linux
james@Tornado:~$ alsactl -v
alsactl version 1.0.10

Apr 15, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #2 of 9
Just ran into this prob. I upgraded to a higher version, and the sound out of the Wolfson stopped working.

Grab this asound.state and put it in /etc . Run "alsactl restore". Don't worry about errors it spits out. Should fix the sound.

Jul 19, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 9
Hmm, I can't manage to download this file. Also, any other asound.state file I try does not work for some reason. Could someone please send it to my email or host it somewhere temporarily please? Thank you!

Jul 19, 2006 at 6:17 AM Post #4 of 9
You can find the file mentioned in this thread here. Useful if you're using the wolfson dac out on your card.

If you're trying to use the spdif out refer to this thread.

Either of these work for me but I'm still using alsa 1.0.11_rc4. Lots of people have reported problems with higher versions of alsa.

Jul 20, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #5 of 9
Thank you for the reply! Just tried it and now I have marvelous sound coming out of my box. One last question though, can I somehow configure something so that whenever I change volume with my keyboard's multimedia keys, change the PCM instead of the Master Stereo (since PCM is what outputs to the Hi res output)? It's kinda disturbing having your ears blasted whenever you switch to the headphones, so a fix would be nice. Thanks in advance!

Jul 25, 2006 at 4:00 PM Post #7 of 9
I followed a guide in the ubuntuforums on how to do it it's here but you have to look a bit down. Personally, I didn't like this fix since I don't see the little display that pops up, but I'm cool with it.

Jul 25, 2006 at 5:15 PM Post #8 of 9
did you set it with xbindkeys and with these which i see in that thread

Quote:

Name: Increase volume
Action: amixer sset PCM 1+ unmute

Name: Decrease volume
Action: amixer sset PCM 1- unmute

seems like those shortcuts should raise and lower pcm volume. if they do not i'm not sure what the fix for that is.

Jul 25, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #9 of 9
Yeah I got it going with that. Too bad it (as far as I can see) disables the default gnome keyboard bindings, but it doesn't matter. I'll try and look if this can be done with gconf-editor, still having the popup. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back