AV710 in 2 channels (stereo) mode
Apr 22, 2006 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Xakepa

500+ Head-Fier
I somehow lost the ability to get ANY output from Wolfson DAC (rear out) in ANY other mode but "high-res 2". I usually listen to non-oversampled, native KS from FB2K to both speakers and cans - turning on and off the device I like. Now nothing helps, and I tried everything I know, even reinstalling the card in different PCI slot.

I'm using Windows 2000 Professional ver.5, and drivers are the newest ones from VIA (3650). I start to suspect a real hardware problem, or a windows service running in the background. I have no problem even sending Kernel Streaming at 44.1 from FB2K to "speaker out": the speakers are playing, but the headphones are silent.

Have you encountered such problem, and do you have any advice for me. I'm pretty lost here, thinking about starting all over...unistall card, remove card, run Win, clean reg, install again blah blah...don't want to.

Thank you!

Apr 23, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #2 of 19
I only get sound in Hi Sample Rate 2 Channel as well using KS (which I think is the same as HI RES 2 channel. I use the 5.12 dirvers) . I was under the impression this was normal, and the only way to use the Wolfson output with KS. KS works in no other mode on my card thru the 7/8 port.

Heres the quote from Mr.Radar's Guide:

In the high sample rate mode all sounds will be sent to the high quality stereo-only 24/96 Wolfson DAC which outputs on the channel 7/8 port (the one right above the optical out) so all WaveOut and DirectSound sounds will be resampled to 24/96 and all Kernel Streaming, and ASIO sounds must use stereo 24/96. Set the Master Volume to maximum for the best sound quality.

I could be completely wrong as I simply just used the guide and forgot about it.

Take Care

Apr 23, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #3 of 19
No, one could use "rear out" in "2 channels"/"2" mode of the driver, but of course up to 48KHz sampling rate; I used "PCM only" and "Auto" sampling rate. It worked this way for about a year.

Alas, not anymore. I'm running out of ideas how to make it work again.

Apr 23, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #4 of 19
Try this, which has worked for me for a good while. It will work well if you use your machine's sound output primarily for music listening purposes. Since we dieable windows audio service, which is used by a variety of multimedia applications.

Click Start>Run: type "services.msc" hit enter. You'll see a long list of windows services. scroll down to "Windows Audio." Right click, then "Properties." Change from "automatic" to "disabled" click apply or save. Restart. Audio deck may try to start, but won't. It can't without the windows service. You'll notice now that you cannot adjust the audio with the volume tab in the lower right taskbar...now you're not being routed through windows audio. And you thought Kernel Streaming took care of that before. Well...... it didn't. Now Your KS output should work fine on the high-out. If not, let me know, I may have something else up my sleeve. Let me know.

Apr 23, 2006 at 2:30 PM Post #5 of 19
Thanks, Steven, I did that.

As there was no service running, I disabeled it form "Sound and Multimedia" in CP. To my amazement, (non-oversampled) KS plays thru 1/2 although Win says there's "no audio device", and AudioDesk cannot start...amusing, isn't it
smily_headphones1.gif

However, still nothig out of "rear out". When I resamle to 96KHz this way, FB won't start.

I learend something new, thank you. Any ideas why rear out could be so dead? - it opens up only in "2 high-res", not even in 8.1 Now I think it's even a driver issue (I'll try older driver), or a hardware/PCI/BIOS mess...but all PCI devices are fine, and comp is OK otherwise.

I'll waste some more time and report.

I fixed it. I unistalled the card, and installed it back with old (451c) drivers, keeping "audio device" from Win disabeled all of the time. When I enabled it, everythig's back to normal. Thanks again.

Apr 23, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #6 of 19
Apr 23, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit
So anyone notice any difference in sound with Windows Audio disabled?

I hear no difference.
I'm allways using KS from FB2K; now it could run with or without "windows audio" - same delay, same sound. I doubt windows audio normally messes up with KS

Apr 24, 2006 at 12:35 AM Post #9 of 19
I'm facing the same problem using 2.1 speaker. With VIA latest driver v500b, no sound is outputing from the Wolfson when I choose the regular 2-channel mode. except when I choose 2-channel Hi-Res mode AND 7.1.
But this is a BIG problem for me since I can not afford losing Line-In for my TV Tuner. Any ideas ?

Btw, will there be any problem if I run my 2.1 speaker in 7.1 like this? Is this optimum ?
It seems this is the only way for me to run thru the Wolfson with Line-In enabled. Anyway, I understand that in Hi-Res mode, the output will always be through the Wolfson. But does Wolfson always output in Hires mode in any speaker configs ? As in my case, my 2.1 speaker is now working in 7.1 mode thru the Wolfson, is this Hi-Res ?

If not, then how much difference do you think between HiRes thru Wolfson vs non-hires thru the Wolfson ?

Apr 24, 2006 at 12:58 AM Post #10 of 19
update...

I was wrong. Line-In still does not work even in 7.1 although VIA Audio Deck does not seem to disable Recording tab like when I choose 2-channel HiRes mode.

Now, how on earth can I run my speaker thru Wolfson without losing my Line-In ???
I'm beginning to regret buying this troublesome card.

Apr 24, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Serville
update...

I was wrong. Line-In still does not work even in 7.1 although VIA Audio Deck does not seem to disable Recording tab like when I choose 2-channel HiRes mode.

Now, how on earth can I run my speaker thru Wolfson without losing my Line-In ???
I'm beginning to regret buying this troublesome card.

In my case, mic in is working OK in 2.1 mode with 451c drivers, i.e. non-resampled DirectSound/KS on "spkr out" and "rear out". Drivers are tricky indeed.

May 22, 2006 at 8:39 AM Post #12 of 19
Is alt out jack the one next to the TOSLINK port really the one that the Wolfson is supposed to output through? At the moment I've got the card in 2 channel hi sample rate mode, with foobar using kernel streaming @ 96khz and I can get get sound from the jack next to the toslink port but it is playing quite loudly. Isn't the output supposed to be unamplified when using the Wolfson?

At the moment it is playing at a comfortable level with my HD600's plugged directly into this jack, and the master volume all the way up. Does this mean that I'm not really using the Wolfson? Shouldn't line level output be really quiet?

I'm using the 4.73 drivers.

May 22, 2006 at 10:37 AM Post #13 of 19
Switched the jumpers indicated on the card over to the Line Out settings but that doesn't seem to have made a difference.

May 23, 2006 at 4:39 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiasticSlide
Is alt out jack the one next to the TOSLINK port really the one that the Wolfson is supposed to output through? At the moment I've got the card in 2 channel hi sample rate mode, with foobar using kernel streaming @ 96khz and I can get get sound from the jack next to the toslink port but it is playing quite loudly. Isn't the output supposed to be unamplified when using the Wolfson?

At the moment it is playing at a comfortable level with my HD600's plugged directly into this jack, and the master volume all the way up. Does this mean that I'm not really using the Wolfson? Shouldn't line level output be really quiet?

I'm using the 4.73 drivers.

That's the right jack. It's hooked to the Wolfson, and yes it's unamped, and yes you're using it. You're getting a comfortable level because 300 ohm HD650s are very efficient, i.e. don't sqeeze much current

May 23, 2006 at 12:18 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xakepa
That's the right jack. It's hooked to the Wolfson, and yes it's unamped, and yes you're using it. You're getting a comfortable level because 300 ohm HD650s are very efficient, i.e. don't sqeeze much current

Yeah, I've gotta use my amp (Firestone Audio Cute Beyond) on the low gain setting to give a good enough selection range with the volume knob. Sounds very nice though
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back