av710 hdcd
Apr 26, 2005 at 4:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

unkoman

100+ Head-Fier
I bought a hdcd and I want to listen to it on my pc, but I don't quite undrstand how the hdcd decoding process works on computer. If I use WMP9, do I just need a soundcard that doesn't resample to 48khz, for example AV710?

Thnx

Apr 27, 2005 at 2:30 AM Post #2 of 5
Windows Media Player has an HDCD decoder that will decode HDCD at 24-bits instead of the standard 16-bits that regular CDs use (there's an option in the Speaker preferences under the device settings to to enable this). You'll need a soundcard that can output 24-bits, at 44.1 KHz for the best quality. The AV-710 definately does this and is a good option for this.

Aug 30, 2005 at 8:58 PM Post #4 of 5
Resurrecting this thread for a simple question:

I assume Windows Media Player does this when you are playing back a physical CD.

Why can't Foobar do this with FLAC (or whatever lossless format) files generated from an HDCD? The data should be there in the original HDCD format...so why not take advantage of it?

Aug 30, 2005 at 10:53 PM Post #5 of 5
HDCD is a closed technology, there is not even a detailed description on how exactly it works, thus no opensource HDCD decoder.. Microsoft bought Pacific Microsonics some time ago, that's why they support it in WMP..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back