av710: enough power to drive my grado, unamped?
Aug 14, 2004 at 2:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

kenchi1983

100+ Head-Fier
I was planning a week ago to purchase the chaintech av710 to replace my soundblaster live 5.1 value, but then i read someone posting a comment that the av710 is only good as a line out, not as a headphone out.

So, will the av710 have enough juice to drive my grado sr80? I dont have an amp. Even if the card doesnt have enough power, is it still a good idea to do the upgrade?

Aug 14, 2004 at 3:38 AM Post #2 of 2
The AV-710 has no amp on it's high quality output (so it's only a line-out). My PortaPro's were fine straight from the line-out, however my DT440's has no bass when driven directely by the card. The SR-80's are suppost to be slightly harder to drive properly than most portables can handle so I'd say that you need an amp to get the best sound. Just look around here on Head-Fi and you should be able to find a CMOY or similar amp for $40 or less (often includes shipping) or you could build your own CMOY for about $25 (check out the DIY section and this tutorial). Even a stereo or receiver with a headphone out should be an improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back