AV710 digital: bitperfect and resampling 88.2vs96, Prodigy flash
Nov 28, 2004 at 6:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

funnytimes

100+ Head-Fier
I've had an AV710 for a while, used Foobar kernal streaming 24bit padded to 32bit, resample (ssrc) to 96000, hi sampling mode to my headphone setup. I will buy a Panasonic XR25 reciever for a HTPC speaker setup soon, but I want to figure out how to setup first. I will be using 95% flac, the remaining 5% DVD, divx, mp3, gaming. I plan on spending my money on the 2 fronts and subwoofer, and using something free for surrounds. I know nothing about digital audio and speaker/reciever setups.

Wouldn't 88.2khz be better than 96khz because it is a multiple of 44.1khz, the sampling rate of most mp3/flac? or are most mp3/flac 48khz? I know CD audio is 44.1 while DVD is 48 or 96.
Is AV710 capable of 24bit/96000hz digital out?
Is 24bit/96000hz digital out desirable?
What bit/sampling rate is bit-perfect digital out?
Is AV710 capable of bit-perfect digital out using kernal streaming/asio without the prodigy flash?
What surround sound formats are compatable?

I may also want to use still headphones when I have a speaker system. Would I simply use the RCA output jacks on the XR25 to connect to a headphone amplifier?

Thanks

Nov 28, 2004 at 4:40 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by funnytimes
Wouldn't 88.2khz be better than 96khz because it is a multiple of 44.1khz, the sampling rate of most mp3/flac? or are most mp3/flac 48khz? I know CD audio is 44.1 while DVD is 48 or 96.

You're right, 88.2KHz would be better, but not many soundcards support it (the AV-710 does not). All files that originated from CDs are at 44.1KHz.

Quote:

Is AV710 capable of 24bit/96000hz digital out?

I haven't tried it but I'd assume it is.

Quote:

Is 24bit/96000hz digital out desirable?

If you feel that resampling to 96KHz from 44.1KHz is desireable, and your DAC can handle 24/96 then go ahead. Otherwise just stick with 44.1/16 or 44.1/24.

Quote:

What bit/sampling rate is bit-perfect digital out?

The bit/sampling rate of the original source.

Quote:

Is AV710 capable of bit-perfect digital out using kernal streaming/asio without the prodigy flash?

I'm pretty sure it is, though I haven't tested this myself.

Quote:

What surround sound formats are compatable?

I'm not sure what you mean here. If you're referring to stuff like Dolby Digital and DTS then yes they are compatible, but you need to decode them in software (with your DVD player software). You can also send the raw DD/DTS signal out through the digital port to your HT receiver.

Quote:

I may also want to use still headphones when I have a speaker system. Would I simply use the RCA output jacks on the XR25 to connect to a headphone amplifier?

Yes. That would work just fine.

Thanks[/QUOTE]
No problem. I hope this helped.

Nov 28, 2004 at 4:49 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
You're right, 88.2KHz would be better, but not many soundcards support it (the AV-710 does not). All files that originated from CDs are at 44.1KHz.

Actually it does, at least for the wolfson DAC output, not sure of digital output. Trick is to operate the card in regular 2 channel mode and put sampling rate in Via Audio Control Panel to 'automatic'.

Nov 28, 2004 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 7
Or you can save yourself a nice chunk of CPU power (well, at least using the SSRC resampler... the PPHS one pretty much negates that factor) and don't resample at all. I realized awhile ago that I wasn't hearing a lick of difference between 44.1, 88.2, 96, 192...

Nov 28, 2004 at 11:09 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks guys, that was very helpful, especially Mr. Radars big post.

Does anybody know if AV710 can do 24bit/96khz? I have the newest version of the control panel, digital out is disabled in high sampling mode, and the only options for digital out are 44.1Khz and 48Khz in standard 2 channel mode.
I also tried automatic sampling mode, but it did not work.

Nov 28, 2004 at 11:22 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by funnytimes
Thanks guys, that was very helpful, especially Mr. Radars big post.

Does anybody know if AV710 can do 24bit/96khz? I have the newest version of the control panel, digital out is disabled in high sampling mode, and the only options for digital out are 44.1Khz and 48Khz in standard 2 channel mode.
I also tried automatic sampling mode, but it did not work.

You may need to enable "PCM only" somewhere in the control panel to get higher than 48KHz support. In driver version 3.10a it is in the digital out tab, but in the newest version it may be in another tab.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back