AV123 X-Head amp first impressions
Oct 21, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #16 of 37
I contacted Luis at Av123 and he said AV123 would pay for return shipping. Anyone interested in this amp should read Tako’s post:

x-head impressions Thread - AV123.com Forum

I wish I knew this before I ordered mine but the hum issue was revealed on the day I received it and I just read Tako’s post today.

This simple HP amp was years in the making but it took just one simple thread to bring it crashing down. Sic transit gloria mundi!

Oct 21, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #17 of 37
I am glad the hum issue has been resolved and look forward to receiving one of the test units. Guys, fwiw amps do develop "issues" when in production. The most important item is how quickly the manufacturer responds and the customer service they provide.

In this case they are refunding the buyer to send it back and it appears they found the problem quickly. So all things point to a very good satisfaction level.

Oct 21, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #18 of 37
I'm kind of mixed on the av123 business right now.

No doubt they have produced some great price/performance speakers. My Onix Ref 1s are top notch. My Onix XCD-88 CD player is outstanding.

Unfortunately, I'm still waiting on the subwoofer that I paid for with the Ref 1 speakers last November. Delays, problems, more delays.

I got one of the X-Heads, had the right channel hum. Gave it a few days and sent it back and ordered a Little Dot. After 11 months waiting on the sub, I didn't want to go through that again getting this amp fixed. Then again, my review of the X-Head on the av123 forum wasn't exactly a glowing review.

I hope this fix makes all the X-Head owners happy. However, that subwoofer I am still waiting on after paying last November....we've been through a few "quick fixes" on that one and it still isn't here.

So, I think av123 wants to do the right thing.....but doing so is often a challenge.

Oct 26, 2008 at 11:47 AM Post #19 of 37
Hum's sorta OK but left channel static and crackle is not so back it went which is a shame because this amp has lots of power and character. I’m not willing to sit on this amp while AV123 takes its time working out the kinks. AV123 seems to be a company of dreamers and procrastinators who release half-baked ideas. Furthermore, strange as it may seem for a mail order company, they don’t know how to pack stuff. My X-head arrived in a flimsy cardboard box. I sent it back double boxed. I wonder if this will confuse them?

Oct 26, 2008 at 12:11 PM Post #20 of 37
It has been strange that a notice that a fix is forthcoming was posted on this forum ....but to this day has not been officially posted on the av123 site. Been a good customerof theirs and I emailed them for info on return and info on a trade in for the fixed unit...and only got an answer on the return. They sent a ups return label so I do not have to pay for it and will get a full refund. But still no word on the fix. A post on the customer service section just requested that you call them..no further info.

After over 400 hours the X head has peaked...still has the hum issue And still not up to the sound quality of my Pico. It will go back Monday.

Oct 26, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #21 of 37
It's clear that right now they do not have a fix. If they did, I am pretty sure they would have sent me a new sample to review, or at least sent me some kind of note. They know this situation isn't good for business.

Oct 26, 2008 at 1:29 PM Post #22 of 37
Well, I'm listening to my just arrived Little Dot MkIII. My X-Head already went back due to the hum, but to give a comparison....

Holy cow, this is not a fair fight at all. LD has no noise at all, and is an amazing sounding amp even without the required burn in.

Im my av123 forum review of the X-Head, I stated that maybe it was me, maybe I just didn't get the high end headphone deal....because I could barely tell the difference in sound between the X-Head driving my HD650s and going straight from my iPod.

Now that LD is here, I can state it wasn't me.

Oct 26, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #23 of 37
I was just reading thru the LDI+ thread and it seems to be a really good DEAL and being called a giant killer...at least for grado's. And David indeed is very good with cust. service.

May 25, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by mlschifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi All...

Quickie note...

The noise has been sorted and we are working with our builder to supply shielded transformers...

This noise is upsetting to me personally - but most don't seem to have it (strangely enough)...

All the best...

mls

There seems to be too many problems with this unit to take a chance.
Regards,
Jim

May 25, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #25 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by ehoove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you retrofitting early units, even if they were given as a present? (I.e. I have no receipt)
Thanks,
Jim

I would call tomorrow and ask. If your unit has hum then I would imagine they wouldn't leave you stranded. You might have to go through the original purchaser for the exchange though.

May 25, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #26 of 37
Did they ever release a version that DID work?

May 25, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #28 of 37
OK thanks. I had a review sample of the old one type that didn't work - will have to see if I can get it upgraded.

May 26, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #29 of 37
I just received one a few weeks ago and it looks and sounds great with my ESW9s! Color me impressed - though I am not a big fan of the electronic volume control. I would much prefer a knob!

May 28, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #30 of 37
I just bought one, and have been listening to it for about a week. I like it. No buzzing, and lots of nice bass heft and detail (i.e. it's not all one bass note).

I bought a B-Stock v2 unit, and it's exceeded all my expectations so far. I'll be doing a full blown review shortly, but initial impressions are highly favorable. I bought it to review, and will likely end up keeping it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back