AV receiver suggestions around £3-400
Mar 12, 2010 at 11:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7
i know its head fi isnt the best place to ask but thought no harm. looking for av receiver amp suggestions in the UK for around the £300 to £400 ish mark. i really dont know much at all about them so any thing i should be looking out for or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Mar 15, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #5 of 7
Make sure there is enough HDMI inputs. At least 3 would be my suggestion. Also make sure that the HDMI inputs actually process the audio signal instead of just pass it through. If it only passes audio through you will still have to use a digital audio cable (coax or optical) and then will only be able to get Dolby Digital unless your Bluray player has multi-channel audio outputs (not all of them do). As far as brands go, at the price range you are looking at, as long as you stick with a good brand, they are all good. I myself am partial to Denons.

Mar 15, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #6 of 7
For £3? Good luck there. =P

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #7 of 7
I recently bought a Denon 2310 to replace my 10yr old Pioneer Elite, also got a VTF-1 HSU sub. Just make sure you get something with Audyssey MultEQ. This lets you move included microphone to various listening positions and the receiver self calibrates the sound system levels. Hooked it up, calibrated it, watched an action movie and the wife couldn't belive it, said it was better than at the theater.
icon10.gif

Warning: the remote with the Denons are sucky, plan on using something else if you don't already have one. Harmonys are nice.

AMPs, Receivers, and Processors - AVS Forum

For more info, please see the Denon Model Numbers page at batpigworld:
BATPIG'S DENON-TO-ENGLISH DICTIONARY

Q. What do I gain from stepping up to the 1910/790, as opposed to just buying the lower-priced AVR 1610/590 model?

A: The 1610 (aka 590) is a very full-featured entry level model that will be sufficient for most people. It has 3 HDMI inputs, full HD audio decoding, analog > digital video conversion (so you can run one HDMI cable to your TV for all sources), and the full "Audyssey suite" of MultEQ + Dynamic EQ + Dynamic Volume. The 1910 / 790 is very similar and built on the same platform / chassis. They have similar amp sections, identical processing and DAC's, etc.

The following are the "step up" features you gain from going to 1910 (aka 790):

1. The 1910 is a full 7.1 receiver. The 1610/590 is a 5.1 receiver (5 amps built in) but can be expanded to 7.1 using the "Rear/Height" pre-outs to add an external amplifier. You have your choice of 7.1 expansion methods, either PLIIx (standard 7.1 with 2 "rear" channels) or PLIIz (5.1 + 2 "height" channels).

2. The 1910 has a 4th HDMI input, and adds an extra coaxial digital audio input

3. The 1910 is spec'd for more power, 90W x 7

4. The 1910 has full video scaling, of both analog and digital video, up to 1080p, and these video settings are adjustable by input. The 1610 has no scaling, and no adjustable settings; it simply automatically converts analog video to digital, and deinterlaces 480i > 480p when doing so. Everything else goes out at the same resolution it came in.

5. The 1910 has 2-zone/2-source capability (no multizone on 1610), and the 1910 (not 790, see above) has a "room to room" remote control jack for wired control from Zone 2.

6. The 1910 has extra inputs: a Sirius input jack, a "CD" analog input, and 7.1 multichannel analog inputs

7. The 1910 has two switched power outlets on the back

Q. What do I gain from stepping up to the 2310/890 model?

A: The 2310/890 model's major features are:

1. A 5th HDMI input

2. A slightly better amp section

3. A dedicate Phono input with pre-amp

4. usable S-video inputs (i.e. not just for the Denon ipod dock) on the rear, and front panel optical / s-video input

5. high-end ABT-2010 video processor with full color GUI, overlay over HDMI, HDMI>HDMI processing, and picture controls with brightness/contrast/hue/saturation and noise reduction settings which are memorized by input (allowing for independent source calibration even when running one HDMI cable to TV)

6. the 2310CI model (not the 890) will also include an RS-232 port, second smaller Zone 2 remote, and a 12V trigger output for custom integration ("CI") functionality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back