AV Receiver help Marantz NR1601 or Yamaha 667
Oct 16, 2010 at 4:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12
pretty much as title, have a heard a couple of thing and its pretty much between those two.  i wondered if anyone had any comments about either of them or thought that might help me pick.  i liked how they both sounded but cant decide which i liked more.  help oh mighty audio geek land

Feb 17, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #5 of 12
well odd you should ask now as im about to go buy one tomorrow.

i did hear them both and eventually decided i go with the marantz as it was that but less warm and rich.  i worried that the yammy would be too warm and soft.  so i went off to buy some time ago and the marantz was out of stock, marantz refused to supply richer sounds as they were selling them too cheaply.  marantz however arent keen on allowing retailers to sell them online to outside their elected region.  there are a couple that will but it really pissed me off that marantz think they can dictate what im allowed to buy. 

so im going to buy the yammy tomorrow acoustically they were on a par in quality just a different flavour.  if it makes a difference to you then the yammy has a vastly superior UI on it. 

Nov 26, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #6 of 12
Ui? I have the marantz I just set it up and I think it's great! Did u end up getting the yammy? Do you use it for a headphone amp aswell?

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #7 of 12
I've also been looking at getting the Yamaha RX-V667, because it offers surround sound for headphones (Silent Cinema).
I believe it's the cheapest Yamaha that offer the better speaker power amplification.

Nov 27, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #8 of 12
yeah i did get the 667, about a year ago now. 

it sounds fine but hand on heart ive never been in love with it.  of course i never actually got to try the marantz with them but i think that they are very good ot films but arent as crisp or resolving as id like for music.  they are rich and warm and a touch on the soft, relaxed side.  if i had bright and crispy speakers like some Monitor Audio's then i could see them pairing up super well.

as for headphone use, i think i tried it once thats it.tbh if i wanted to use headphones id use the RS180's anyway, i really dont remember how good it was.

Nov 27, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #9 of 12
I have the Marantz and it sounds pretty good, great actually with movies.  It also has dolby headphones but I'd never use it for my phones since I have dedicated amps for that.  Haven't tried the yama but I'm happy with mine.

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #10 of 12
Do you think that it would be enough to amplify a HD650 or a high reference headphone fine? (the marantz) I use it for my GR07's and it makes a pretty noticeable difference in the sound quality. I would rather not have to buy a dedicated amp because I'm not incredibly high on funds right now.

Nov 28, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
Do you think that it would be enough to amplify a HD650 or a high reference headphone fine? (the marantz) I use it for my GR07's and it makes a pretty noticeable difference in the sound quality. I would rather not have to buy a dedicated amp because I'm not incredibly high on funds right now.

My Onkyo 706B can power my 250-Ohm headphone, I would put the Onkyo 706B equal with the RX-V667 and Yamaha seem to more stock in to headphone support.

Nov 28, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #12 of 12
Electronic Expo
Yamaha RX-667 $364.92 (including shipping), need to use coupon code "APR4".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back