AV Receiver as headphone amp
Aug 1, 2010 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

balerdar

New Head-Fier
I have an old Philips FR 968 AV receiver that I believe can work with headphones with an impedance of 62 ohms, notably the AKG k702. In the manual, it says under Receiver outputs: headphones 8-600 ohms (3 V e.m.f., 60ohm)

Will my receiver be more than enough to amplify these headphones, or should I consider buying an amplifier in the future?

Aug 1, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #2 of 5
I have 2 AV receivers (6.1 Sony and 5.1 Yamaha) and both synergize very well with my Fostex T50RP, which demands huge amounts of current energy (more than the 702 I think).

Also my Aurex Hi-Fi amplifier synergizes very well with them.

Aug 9, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #4 of 5
Yes, you should look at the impedance, but also at the amount of power that the headphones can handle. The Fostex T50RP can handle 3000mW, which is a brutality and make them a little bit hard to drive if you plug them directly to a PC or a mp3 player.

Your AKG K 702 are 62 Ohms of impedance and can handle 200mW, so you should be more than able to drive them with your AV receiver.

Aug 9, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #5 of 5
Those old Philips receivers, amplifiers, CD-players etcetera usually have good headphone outs and are quite handy when you do not have a dedicated headphone amplifier. 

It gets better when you can modify the Philips audio gear because the better Philips products already have good internals from what I have read. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back