AV Receiver as a headphone amp?
Aug 8, 2010 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

100+ Head-Fier
Aug 8, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #2 of 8
My personal assessment is to go the HD600 route. The other's would be Ok too. However, I think the Senn's will scale better when you want improved SQ.

There is more than enough power via the AV receiver for the Senn's. In the past--a long time ago--I actually ran my headphones off the speaker outputs. Watch your levels!

I believe the headphone jack is fed via an Op Amp, but I'm not 100% certain about that. In any case, you'll have plenty of oomph! 

Best,

--mark 

Aug 9, 2010 at 7:09 AM Post #4 of 8
Having heard lots of headphones and amps, I think this is overstated in the audio world, due to the picky nature of the audio and gear buff. Yes, there will be differences, but no amp changes the inherent sound sig of a phone.

If I don't like a phone to begin with, running it through 2 or 3 different amps hasn't made me dislike it any less. And as already stated, the quality of my receiver and head out, will have far more bearing on the result, particularly if i go for one of the demanding phones.

Most people don't want a long drawn out process of buying and selling to get perfect synergy, they just want things to work and sound good. And this OPs biggest priority is gaming, so arguably it's even less of a consideration.

Some help Please???

Aug 9, 2010 at 7:57 AM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
Having heard lots of headphones and amps, I think this is overstated in the audio world, due to the picky nature of the audio and gear buff. Yes, there will be differences, but no amp changes the inherent sound sig of a phone.

If I don't like a phone to begin with, running it through 2 or 3 different amps hasn't made me dislike it any less. And as already stated, the quality of my receiver and head out, will have far more bearing on the result, particularly if i go for one of the demanding phones.

Most people don't want a long drawn out process of buying and selling to get perfect synergy, they just want things to work and sound good. And this OPs biggest priority is gaming, so arguably it's even less of a consideration.

Some help Please???

Any help regarding this?

Aug 9, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #6 of 8
Right, quoting yourself looks really silly right now. 

I once found an AKG K240DF in a store for cheap but I did not have the power source for it. I found a Philips CD690 and the problem was solved. After that I upgraded to a Philips CD751 for its much more pleasing sound and it can handle 600 ohm headphones. Next step is a DAC for my CD690 to find out what kind of a difference a DAC makes and if the difference is there I will enjoy it. I still use the CD690 for first listens with CDs, it sounds more tedious than fun and I still get all the detail. 

Now you want an expensive headphone for gaming and music. Find a good headphone amplifier with plenty of power or split the budget for a second headphone which is cheap but has good soundstage, detail and a good low range which should not be too hard. With the money left you can build up a listening set up.

I never cared for gaming solutions for I am not an avid gamer. 

Good luck...

Aug 12, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #7 of 8
Three years ago, when all I had were SE530s, I ran them off a friends Denon receiver.  The sound was AWESOME back then, so much better than straight off the iPod.

Aug 12, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #8 of 8
my dt770 pro 80s sound good out of a receiver but i didnt like how grados sounded. due to the high output impedance of the average headphone jack on a receiver, some phones will be stripped of some of the warmth. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back