AV-710 sucks as stereo source
Jan 6, 2005 at 2:53 PM Post #16 of 22
My girlfriend is very happy about her AV-710.
Her boyfriend has imported this high-end source from America, exclusively for her, not available in Germany.
A $30 gift which makes a GF happy, to me this is a far better gift than jewelry.
biggrin.gif

Personally I prefer an external DAC.

Jan 6, 2005 at 4:12 PM Post #17 of 22
Hmm, I posted a thread in the Member's Lounge yesterday asking for jewelry advice. Maybe I shoud just get her an AV710 instead? Of course, she'd have a mild stroke if I tried to open her computer. ("WHAT? You can't open that! There's STUFF in there that you could BREAK! I can't afford a new computer!")

Jan 6, 2005 at 5:57 PM Post #18 of 22
I read you original post carefully, and all I could gather was, that you "feel" something is lacking in Av710's sound and you need to turn up the volume to hear what the singers are saying.

Is that a sound quality issue? I don't think so. Not a single member here have had a similar issue with Av710, and most of them are very experienced with high-end audio equipment.

In conclusion either you have a faulty card, setup, or you hate Av-710 (for whatever reason).

Next time bring forward a rational explanation with detailed information so people could help you--that’s what this board is for, not "I-hate-that-sound-card-and-you-should-too" posts.

Jan 6, 2005 at 9:40 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali
Not a single member here have had a similar issue with Av710, and most of them are very experienced with high-end audio equipment.

Next time bring forward a rational explanation with detailed information so people could help you--that’s what this board is for, not "I-hate-that-sound-card-and-you-should-too" posts.

C'mon, the AV-710 is at best a semi-decent budget card.I once listened to a foobar/kernel streaming --> AV-710 -->Corda Prehead -->Senn HD600 chain.
Man, that was boring.I had to throw a Grado w/flats into the equation in order to get a barely enjoyable experience.

Jan 6, 2005 at 11:15 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
I rate the 710 pretty well compared with my 1212. I haven't compared them head to head yet, but they sound pretty similar to me.

This is interesting. First, I was surprised when you said you preferred the 710 to the Piccolo DAC. Now, I'm surprised to hear you say that the 1212 and the 710 sound similar
eek.gif

I guess this reinforces the notion that audio is a very personal thing. I should really go to a meet and get to know what's out there...

Jan 7, 2005 at 12:41 AM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by taoster
i think you are asking too much from a $20 card that is essentially renowned for its bit-perfect digital out and not its analogue out.

Since you are obviously used to nice gears like the Bryston, you should now get an external DAC and then you'll be laughing.

btw: no idea if the wolfson dac is any good.. but i am guessing that'd be the weak link?

Correct me if I'm wrong,but isn't the Wolfson DAC used in Cambridge Audio cdp's,with much more elaborate circuitry of course?This might explain why the sound is so thin and weak,I don't like the sound of those players either.

Jan 7, 2005 at 9:16 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by rosie
OK.I've been listening to this card for about 3 months now and there is definitly something lacking in the sound.With headphones,it is no more than o.k.,although a bit better than soundstorm,but through my Bryston 3bst and Castle speakers,it just doesn't cut it.There is a definite lack of bass definition,not much presence,no punch.Yes I am using the wolfson dac output which smoothens the sound a bit.I find myself turning up the volume to hear what the singers are saying.Absolutely not an audiophile quality card.Computer audio has a long way to go I think.Maybe asking too much for a 20$ card.Somebody has a setup similar to mine with a better card and is thrilled with it?Please tell me.

I agree with the "not much presence,no punch" part. And yes, you are asking too much from a $20 card. But don't write off all computer sound systems just because you don't like this card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back