AV-710 sucks as stereo source
Jan 5, 2005 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

rosie

New Head-Fier
OK.I've been listening to this card for about 3 months now and there is definitly something lacking in the sound.With headphones,it is no more than o.k.,although a bit better than soundstorm,but through my Bryston 3bst and Castle speakers,it just doesn't cut it.There is a definite lack of bass definition,not much presence,no punch.Yes I am using the wolfson dac output which smoothens the sound a bit.I find myself turning up the volume to hear what the singers are saying.Absolutely not an audiophile quality card.Computer audio has a long way to go I think.Maybe asking too much for a 20$ card.Somebody has a setup similar to mine with a better card and is thrilled with it?Please tell me.

Jan 5, 2005 at 2:39 AM Post #3 of 22
No.I agree that I would need an amp for the headphones maybe,but for my listening through very good speakers it is already amplified with the Bryston preamp-amp combo.I think it is a classic case of overkill.

Jan 5, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by rosie
There is a definite lack of bass definition,not much presence,no punch.

Those are some of the differences between a lesser and better digital source. If that's what you want, you'll have to upgrade.

I think you are asking too much from a $20 soundcard. I wouldn't say computer sources have a long way to go. There are better soundcards than the chaintech or you can just use a DAC.

Jan 5, 2005 at 7:17 AM Post #6 of 22
For $20, the Chaintech is pretty darn good sounding, on par with average Sony DVPs like the NS-500V (~$130). That said, obviously it won't satisfy you if you're running it with a Bryston. A Sony NS-500V or similar won't satisfy you with that level of downstream gear either. Bryston amps are ruthlessly revealing.

Jan 5, 2005 at 11:49 PM Post #7 of 22
Wodgy,you seem to know what I'm talking about.Do you mean that I should put as much money in a soundcard as i would for the cdp?Are we talking LYNX STUDIO territory here?

Jan 6, 2005 at 12:36 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Wodgy,you seem to know what I'm talking about.Do you mean that I should put as much money in a soundcard as i would for the cdp?Are we talking LYNX STUDIO territory here?

I'd start with a E-MU 0404 or 1212m, maybe a RME HDSP, or go all out with an external DAC.

Jan 6, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #9 of 22
The av-710 isn't that energetic if you know what i mean. The 0404 would blow it away.

However you can get some punch out of that little card, you need to EQ is a bit. That helps it alot.

Sounds to me that you need a newer, more aggressive card. Those upgrade bells are a'ringing.

Jan 6, 2005 at 1:12 AM Post #10 of 22
With your amplifier/speaker system I recommend using the AV-710 as a transport (it will output a bit-perfect digital signal when properly configured) to an external DAC. This will deliver the higher-quality output your rig craves while separating the computer from the DAC (and allows one to use power regeneration/condition on the DAC). The AV-710 is a very decent card and does a fine job with PIMETA-quality headphone amps and better computer speakers like the Klipsch ProMedias; however, it cannot compete with a mid-fi dedicated CD players like the NAD C542 or Rega Planet. While the $99 E-MU 0404 and $200 1212M would be a significant improvement over the AV-710 for your system, an external DAC like the Benchmark DAC1 or Bel Canto DAC2 would offer much greater sound quality and flexibility (regarding connectivity and power cleansing). Balance and synergy are the keys as always.

Jan 6, 2005 at 1:19 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

OK.I've been listening to this card for about 3 months now and there is definitly something lacking in the sound.With headphones,it is no more than o.k.

Which headphones?

Quote:

,although a bit better than soundstorm,but through my Bryston 3bst and Castle speakers,

Which amplifier are you using to drive the speakers ?

Quote:

it just doesn't cut it.There is a definite lack of bass definition,not much presence,no punch.Yes I am using the wolfson dac output which smoothens the sound a bit.I find myself turning up the volume to hear what the singers are saying

that is not a sign of poor sounding equipment but of a poorly driven speakers/headphones.

Quote:

Absolutely not an audiophile quality card.

$25 and audiophile equimpment ?

If you give a detalied description of your setup then it is possible to help you... if that is what you want, because from your short post its obvious that there are more things wrong than simply the soundcard.

Jan 6, 2005 at 7:21 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Wali,read carefully,and you'll find what amp i am using

I think what "wali" was getting at is, give us more information to help you.

Alot of people "like" the AV-710 but MANY more people prefer higher end cards. The AV-710 is an ENTRY level card, but by no means is it a high end preformer. If you give us more information about your situation, our community will be able to help you more.

I guess head-fi is all about karma, are you simply posting to bash on the card you purchased, or are you seeking help?

Jan 6, 2005 at 1:14 PM Post #14 of 22
Not here to bash this holy card,nor to promote anything.Just speaking from experience.Here is my setup:Foobar 24 bit padded to 32,playing flac files,signal outputs to the wolfson dac,going to my preamp's aux input using audiophile ic's,preamp(Bryston) is hooked to the power amp(Bryston),power amp feeds a pair of Castle Edens(88db).Now th Edens are low efficiency speakers,but this is not an issue,since the Bryston powers anything built on earth(maybe not the Martin Logans),and the system had good sound with my mid-fi Marantz cd-67se cdp.Maybe I am ripe for a MAJOR upgrade,and I am not aiming high enough.

Jan 6, 2005 at 2:21 PM Post #15 of 22
i think you are asking too much from a $20 card that is essentially renowned for its bit-perfect digital out and not its analogue out.

Since you are obviously used to nice gears like the Bryston, you should now get an external DAC and then you'll be laughing.

btw: no idea if the wolfson dac is any good.. but i am guessing that'd be the weak link?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back