AV-710 Quirk?
Jun 16, 2004 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ElChupahueso

100+ Head-Fier
I've just installed the AV-710 in my comp and set it up for kernal streaming and everything, (sounds excellent so far). Although when any system sound played, it automatically stopped Foobar and played the system sound. Very annoying. So i turned all the system sounds off. I'm just curious if this has happened to anybody else, and if so, is there a way to get them to play simultaneously?

Now to plug the amp and phones in and just sit back to listen.
orphsmile.gif

Decay

PS, anybody tried playing any games with this yet? If so, how'd it go?

Jun 16, 2004 at 10:13 AM Post #2 of 8
Yeah, that does happen with KS. However, since I have two soundcards, the AV-710 plays only music. I think ASIO could be made to work with this card; that's something you could try.

Jun 16, 2004 at 3:37 PM Post #3 of 8
The ASIO4All driver that enables ASIO for the AV-710 just adds the ASIO interface to kernel streaming.

To avoid windows noises interfereing with music listening just leave your onboard audio enabled and set it as the main playback device. Then all windows noises will get sent to the onboard audio.

Jun 16, 2004 at 8:46 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
The ASIO4All driver that enables ASIO for the AV-710 just adds the ASIO interface to kernel streaming.

To avoid windows noises interfereing with music listening just leave your onboard audio enabled and set it as the main playback device. Then all windows noises will get sent to the onboard audio.

yea, that works fine, but what if you want to still hear those sounds?

Jun 17, 2004 at 6:12 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ProParadox
yea, that works fine, but what if you want to still hear those sounds?

As far as I can tell, it's more-or-less impossible.

The kernel streaming thread that Foobar and Winamp play back on apparently pukes if anything's played back on the Chaintech, but keeps running if something's played back on another soundcard. I'd assume that the sound card can't generate more than one sound at a time in Kernel Streaming mode, presumably due to some sort of hardware limitation.

I tried running a cheapy audio cable between my computer's onboard sound chip (Realtek ALC650, if it matters) and the line-in on my Chaintech, but it didn't work then, either. Setting the S/PDIF output control in the Audio Deck control panel to "Loop Back Record In to S/PDIF Out" made Foobar refuse to play in KS mode, so, presumably, the card can't be doing ANYTHING else when it's playing back in Kernel Streaming mode. Recording included. :\

I should note, however, that my Chaintech's recording system seems to be somewhat broken, and outputs a ton of noise along with whatever it's supposed to be recording. However, I don't think that's why it wouldn't work for me.

The Realtek onboard sound can output Kernel Streaming alongside normal system sounds, BTW, which makes it seem even more likely (to me, anyways) that it's a hardware issue with the Chaintech, or, quite possibly, with all Envy24 HT-S boards. Or, at the least, Envy24 HT-S boards that use the Wolfson chip in high sample-rate mode. :\

Jun 18, 2004 at 5:07 AM Post #8 of 8
dont u want high quality bleeps with super bass? hehe, wat on earth am i talking about. i get weird wen im exhausted and drowsy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back