AV-710 in Linux, High Quality output not working.
Jan 8, 2005 at 8:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

TristanFC

New Head-Fier
I installed Slackware 10 a few days ago, and now have almost everything running smoothly. My soundcard is the last thing I need to figure out. It wasn't working out of the box, so I go the latest version and installed it and got sound working through the stereo channels. However, I want to use the high quality Wolfson DAC for sound as I was doing in Windows. I searched the board and found that fellow user ADS posted an asound.state file which I downloaded to /etc and then ran alsactl restore and I recieved the following error:

set_control:906: bad control.7.value index

I donno what this means. I'm wondering if this asound file was for an older version of alsa or something? Does anyone know why this file isn't working, or how to route the sound through the Wolfson? Thanks for your help all.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2005 at 7:08 PM Post #2 of 15
asound.state files are plain-text and human-parsable, so break out vi and take a look at the sucker. Probably around line 7, from the error you're getting
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2005 at 3:26 AM Post #3 of 15
Yeah I tried looking around in the file and couldn't find anything that looked wrong. All of the values look to be valid. Hmmm is anyone else using alsa 1.08rc2 or something close to it on the 710 who could send me their asound.state file? It would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 14, 2005 at 4:45 AM Post #5 of 15
Okay, well I gave up on it for a while. But here is what I have:

Code:

Code:
[left] control.7 { comment.access 'read write' comment.type BOOLEAN iface MIXER name 'Surround Playback Switch' value.0 true value.1 true }[/left]

Nothing seems wrong there to me?

Apr 15, 2005 at 11:38 PM Post #7 of 15
Although this post is really old, I just insalled FC3 on my box and I'm getting the exact same problem when trying to run alsactl restore.

I've installed the latest alsa drivers/libs and ran the alsaconf utility and still no luck.

Now whenever I try playing something in xmms it complains that something is not configured properly.

Apr 16, 2005 at 5:47 AM Post #8 of 15
Well, this is weird because I have the exact opposite problem... I've got sound from sp/dif but none from analogue. I'll attach my asound.state file but the only difference I can see is that I have an extra line between "comment.type BOOLEAN" and "iface MIXER" that reads "comment.count 2". I've attached my asound.state file. I am using Debian though... don't know how much of a difference that makes, I've installed the latest ALSA drivers... 1.0.9rc2.
Good luck with my asound.state file... now can you tell a Linux noob how to get those analogue outs working?
wink.gif

Apr 16, 2005 at 7:09 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by dejrfan
Well, this is weird because I have the exact opposite problem... I've got sound from sp/dif but none from analogue. I'll attach my asound.state file but the only difference I can see is that I have an extra line between "comment.type BOOLEAN" and "iface MIXER" that reads "comment.count 2". I've attached my asound.state file. I am using Debian though... don't know how much of a difference that makes, I've installed the latest ALSA drivers... 1.0.9rc2.
Good luck with my asound.state file... now can you tell a Linux noob how to get those analogue outs working?
wink.gif

I got it working finally...after reinstalling the drivers several times and doing some other crappo, i simply got rid of the control that it was complaining about which was control 7 in my case. I just deleted that entry in the asound.state and did alsactl restore and everything works fine now.

the only gripe i have is if i turn the pcm volume to 100% i get a lot of distortion so right now im running it like 72% iirc into my amp.

Apr 16, 2005 at 8:46 PM Post #10 of 15
gah, for some reason whever i restart i have to do the same thing over again in order to get alsa to work: alsactl restore

it seems that asound.state is getting reverted back to default or something on each boot up

Apr 16, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #11 of 15
That asound.state file I posted no longer applies for new versions of ALSA, sadly. It won't hurt anything to try to use it, but it's very unlikely to work on any decently recent version of ALSA (I made it with 1.0.6 in mind).

I've been trying to get the high-resolution jack to work in 1.0.8 (current stable version) so I could post an updated asound.state file for everyone, but I've had no luck. I'm going to wait until ALSA 1.0.9 goes stable, then I'll get something working for that and post it here (which shouldn't be a problem, as indicated by the post above indicating that simply removing the offending control from the old file enabled the output in 1.0.9rc2). If that doesn't work, I'm going to see about contacting the ALSA team to see if a driver fix needs to be made.

To the person mentioning distorted output when PCM is set to 100%: This is a common occurrence with ALSA, as the drivers are capable of telling the card to exceed the output levels that they can actually produce. I would recommend setting the Master Volume to 100%, and adjusting the PCM volume to as a low a value as possible to provide a decent signal to your amp (I'm running mine at 52%).

Apr 18, 2005 at 3:05 AM Post #12 of 15
I finally got the output working by messing withe the controls in alsamixer, but was having to do alsactl restore every time I restarted as well. However, the result was sort of flakey. Sometimes it would stop working, and sometimes it would not work right. I attributed it to bad drivers and stopped using linux as much as a result. I have a hard time using the computer without music. :p

Apr 18, 2005 at 8:07 PM Post #13 of 15
Well, I posted all my alsamixer settings in another thread here where I'm trying to resolve no analogue output... have a look at them and maybe cross-reference them with yours.

http://tinyurl.com/5ln59

Maybe post yours and I can check mine to see if there is a setting that I can change to get the analogues to work?

Apr 18, 2005 at 10:46 PM Post #14 of 15
can anyone who has the *high quality* analogue output working on alsa 1.0.8 or later *please* run 'alsactl store' as root then send (or post here!) the /etc/asound.state file? I'd love you forever. thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back