AV-710 First Impressions
Aug 24, 2006 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

TylerEaves

Head-Fier
First off:

Rig: Linux PC > Amarok playing FLAC files > Chaintech AV-710 via Wolfson DAC > Sony LBT-D270 Receiver > Grado SR-80

(Not a super high end rig, I know, but it's what I can afford, and in terms of performance per $ It'll probably complete with just about anything.

Not too much to report yet, will edit with more detail later. Just listening to random files from my collection, and being generally blown away by the clartity of the card. Noticing little things I've never noticed before. Synth sweep on Rush's Tom Sawyer is incredibly fat and warm. Not falsely warm, but it just shimmers.

Another little detail that caught my attention is in Led Zep's "Celebration Song". At 1:53 John Bonham does 4 quick snare rolls. I was just blown away by how I can hear each little hitt in the rolls, including a mi**** in the 2nd roll. That's what high end audio is to me...not that I nessearily LIKE to get super-critical, but I like to be able to pick out ever little nuance.

Aug 24, 2006 at 2:30 AM Post #3 of 7
Yup, AV710 is cheap but it can produce nice sound. kinda tricky though.
Now, Aren't you hate those cards that cost you more than it with less fidelity... especially when that's what you've bought so far.
wink.gif

Aug 24, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #5 of 7
Seems you got lucky, I cant find a AV-710 at a trusted site anymore, ZipZoomFly has been on backorder for about a week now and its no longer listed on Newegg.

I really really hope this card was not discontinued.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back