AV-710 compared to 1212M
Nov 25, 2006 at 3:47 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its one of the best source out there for consumer range so people who gone for that $100 deal made a good investment, also skipping a lot of snake oils and crap in the process.

Thumbs up

Nov 25, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by 465 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do I need to buy an adapter, is that what you mean? My HD 595 comes with the 2 adapters, the big one and small one. I'm using the small one connected to my pc. Do I still need another adapter?

The EMUs have split 1/4th inch phono female outs. I used two phono-RCA adapter plugs for my 0404.

Nov 25, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by 465 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do I need to buy an adapter, is that what you mean? My HD 595 comes with the 2 adapters, the big one and small one. I'm using the small one connected to my pc. Do I still need another adapter?

if you want to connect to it analog, it use two balanced ouput, which is two stereo 1/4th jack.

Nov 26, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you want to connect to it analog, it use two balanced ouput, which is two stereo 1/4th jack.

What?

They are 1/4" female, mono left and right line outputs. You can use mono TS or mono TRS (balanced cables). No stereo jacks my friend.

And they won't drive headphones, you'll need an amp between the 1212 and cans.

Nov 26, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xakepa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To compare digital outs with an average DAC you really need golden ears.

Or rather really good imagination or gear to measure them.. though not always cleaner is better like those tube lovers love the harmonic distortion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this with analog or digital output?

Ermmh, that was funny, but I'm not laughing... it's so sad too.

Nov 26, 2006 at 7:10 AM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xakepa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AV-710 have 5c generic electrolytic caps right at the analog output and they vastly degrade the SQ. Upgrading those is a MAJOR improvement, everyone who did it will tell you that.. I tried analog out of 1212 on several occasions, and it's slightly better than modded 710, but nothing special.

Does it make a difference if there's an amp between the card and cans ?

Nov 28, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AV710 does sound a good bit better than your average Audigy2 or AC97 through the analog, but it's hardly a 1212M. I'm not shocked that the OP was able to pick out some areas where the EMU excels, as it is so far ahead in terms of circuit implementation and power filtering, it's not even funny. As it should be for $200 vs. $20 though. The main bargain of the AV710 is as a transport.

The same problem with circuit implementation and power filtering that make the analog bad also ruin the digital clock of the AV710. I noticed a big increase in clarity on the upper midrange/treble going from the AV710 to EMU (digital out.)

The idea that you can just go in and upgrade the output capacitors on the AV710 is a little far fetched. It is a tiny crowded capacitor. I have been soldering for 20 years and would not attempt it.

Not to mention the whole driver debacle if you want bit-perfect. The only money I feel I have ever wasted on my headphone rig was the AV710. And I blame this forum for that. I feel I owe it to all newbies to hear the other side of the story. There should always be room for opinion here, when there isn't you should really question motives.

Nov 28, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The idea that you can just go in and upgrade the output capacitors on the AV710 is a little far fetched. It is a tiny crowded capacitor. I have been soldering for 20 years and would not attempt it.

There are a couple of output caps, and despite being small it is a fairly easy spot to work on. I personally had to solder on the backside of the board for one of them, but thats not difficult either. There are quite a few people that have replaced the output capacitors. There are a couple of topics you can get to in the search that go into the specifics.

It is a cheap upgrade with decent benefits, noticeably in the low end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back