AV-710 + Apogee Mini Dac Setup Question
Feb 9, 2008 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Caution

1000+ Head-Fier
G'day guys, I recently got my hands on a used Apogee Mini-Dac and I was wondering If I set this up properly? Currently I'm using the latest drivers for the AV-710 (I havn't flashed it with Prodigy drivers) and foobar2000 to play my music files And I have my Foobar2000 ouput device as "DS: Primary Sound Driver." So are these the optimal settings? Or do I need to fiddle with ASIO drivers and flashing my card to a Prodigy etc?

Thanks in Advance :]

Feb 9, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #2 of 13
Why not skip the sound card and use the Mini-DAC via USB?

Feb 9, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #3 of 13
I got the non usb version
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 9, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got the non usb version
smily_headphones1.gif

And thus your original post
tongue.gif

I thought the Mini-DAC offered USB capability as standard, and FireWire as an add-on. Sorry for the mix-up!

Feb 9, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #5 of 13
No problem
smily_headphones1.gif
Atleast you tried to help :p

Feb 10, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #6 of 13
Bump!

Feb 10, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
G'day guys, I recently got my hands on a used Apogee Mini-Dac and I was wondering If I set this up properly? Currently I'm using the latest drivers for the AV-710 (I havn't flashed it with Prodigy drivers) and foobar2000 to play my music files And I have my Foobar2000 ouput device as "DS: Primary Sound Driver." So are these the optimal settings? Or do I need to fiddle with ASIO drivers and flashing my card to a Prodigy etc?

Thanks in Advance :]

Howdy, Caution!

First, try setting output device to DS:Envy24 Family Audio(WDM) for playback via the 710 itself. If you are trying to Kernal stream then change the output device to KS:Envy24 Family Audio(WDM) and you will need to have the card set for KS output or ASIO output (I am not sure what device setting it should be!).

I have Kernal streaming set up, no active DSPs. I am sending the bit perfect stream out to my Zero DAC via optical cable. I did NOT need to flash Prodigy software.

Also, make sure that the volume levels for left & right main channels are set to MAX in your Envy's Audio Deck control panel. If they off even a little bit, you will not get sound out!

Hope this helps.

biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #8 of 13
Thanks for the reply
smily_headphones1.gif
I am getting audio signal from my dac and am listening to music from it as I type, does that mean a Bit perfect stream out as well?

Feb 10, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #9 of 13
The recommended test for bit perfect pass through is to play a DTS encoded cd or file from your computer drive using the av-710. You must test it hooked up to a receiver or DTS decoder or capable component. If the component plays the file correctly (you hear music) then you have bit perfect setup. If you hear a lot of noise instead then it is not correctly set up.

biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2008 at 8:54 AM Post #10 of 13
O_O What If I don't have any of the mentioned items above? :/

Feb 11, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #11 of 13
Well, I don't think you can test without a DTS component. Perhaps borrow from someone?

I don't recall any other reliable or recommended test to verify bit perfect. Maybe somenone else can comment? I will search around and see what I can find out.

The good news is that you have your card working and enjoying yor music!

Have a good one!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #12 of 13
alright thanks a lot
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2008 at 10:49 AM Post #13 of 13
okay I just tied playing an Evanescence Live concert DVD, and I got no sound. Guess that means I'm not getting a bit perfect signal?

*edit* Acutally never mind turns out it VLC was the problem. woops Gotta find a DTS decoder...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back