AV-710 and home stereos
Jan 18, 2006 at 2:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

perdomot

100+ Head-Fier
Which would be the better connection if I wanted to connect a pc with this sound card to a home stereo: Using the optical output or the Wolfson DAC on the 7/8 plug?

Jan 18, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #4 of 7
No, the DAC converts digital signals to analog ones. If you want to use the the optical out, the soundcard will send a digital signal out of the optical port to the optical input of your receiver. the receiver will take that signal and convert it to an analog signal with its own DAC. The Wolfston DACs only job is to convert digital signals to analog ones to be outputted as line level audio from the 7/8 outputs.

Jan 18, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #5 of 7
Hey, I would just go ahead and use the digital TOSlink out to your reciever. Don't bother with using the Wolfson DAC on the AV710.

Jan 18, 2006 at 2:03 PM Post #6 of 7
I'd say it depends. If the amp is close to the comp, so that you wouldn't need more than 1.5 m or so of cable, then give the Wolfson DAC a try. For longer distances, like 5 m or greater, I'd better use the optical out with decent glass fiber core optical cable.

Jan 18, 2006 at 3:00 PM Post #7 of 7
My receiver is about 2 feet from my PC so that could work. Would I be able to hook up both the TOSlink and the 7/8 alt using the same settings? I followed the guide for setting up the card with foobar and my new Klipsch speakers sound awesome but I would like to be able to use my home stereo without having to change settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back