AV-710 analog sound quality
Aug 31, 2007 at 3:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Apocalypsee

500+ Head-Fier
Someone say that this card is good only for its bit perfect digital out, I'm wondering, how does AV-710 analog sound quality? Currently I have old Creative CT5807 with old ES1373 DSP with CS4297 AC97 DAC (which, like any Creative crap, resample to 48kHz
frown.gif
) but I uses LME49720 opamp on it and it sounds great, since my speaker too uses LME49720
icon10.gif

All I can see is that the AV-710 don't have any opamp on the black line-out near the optical out (which I heard uses the Wolfson DAC, the good DAC), should care about it?

Aug 31, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 12
IMHO, the analog output of the card is of surprisingly good quality for the price, or even at a higher price. I enjoyed using it into a desktop PIMETA and HD600's for quite a while before getting the 0404 USB.

Aug 31, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #3 of 12
I'm also interested in this subject.
to sejarzo: How would you compare the analog sound from the AV710 to that of the 0404 USB?

Aug 31, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #4 of 12
The quality is ipod-like, pretty decent (wolfson DAC similar in both cases). And the out is not amped, is a line-out. You need an amp to get a decent performance from almost any headphone. It will sing without it, but will not sound as good as it can.

Sep 1, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #5 of 12
A Blackgate modded AV-710 comes very close to our Pioneer Elite DVD changer. We bought 5 or 6 players at the same time a few years ago for an in-home audition, and this Pioneer even beat a Denon costing much more by a wide margin. Not all Pioneers are created equal though, as this particular unit (don't know the model # off the top of my head) is significantly better than other Pioneer DVD and LD players we have.

The AV-710 is a good buy.

Sep 1, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A Blackgate modded AV-710 comes very close to our Pioneer Elite DVD changer. We bought 5 or 6 players at the same time a few years ago for an in-home audition, and this Pioneer even beat a Denon costing much more by a wide margin. Not all Pioneers are created equal though, as this particular unit (don't know the model # off the top of my head) is significantly better than other Pioneer DVD and LD players we have.

The AV-710 is a good buy.

If you don't mind I would like to see the mods
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 1, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #7 of 12
Apocalypsee, i don't know how hard to find AV-710 in Malay. If you can find it cheap, go for it. Chaintech AV-710 and Gainward Hollywood@home 7.1 is basically the same card except the DAC. Chaintech is little bit better, soundwise. It's analog sound is quite good. To compare with that old creative made ESS card, AV-710 definitely is a significant upgrade.

Sep 1, 2007 at 6:47 AM Post #8 of 12
I've had it for a while and I think the analogue out is a s good as any analogue out from a PC. With a revealing system you hear snap crackle pop hum but with a normal set up it sounds fine. Much better than onboard sound.

So into a Xin SMIV and ED9 it sounded ok but with the Xin replaced by the RPX-33 it was pretty obviously a poor source, very noisy. Most amps will sound fine though and it's ok ampless.

Sep 1, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioBully /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also interested in this subject.
to sejarzo: How would you compare the analog sound from the AV710 to that of the 0404 USB?

Important: I'm speaking strictly of the difference in stereo by using the AV-710's channel 7/8 analog output driven by the Wolfson DAC versus the 0404 USB.....not the other multichannel outputs on the AV-710 that are driven by a VIA CODEC (to which I never connected anything.) I ran the AV-710 via Foobar and KS; the 0404 USB via Foobar and ASIO.

The AV-710 sounds pretty good......smooth, slightly warm in character, certainly not excessively dark, but overall a very easy-going, listenable sound. Nothing particularly bad stood out. Pretty much the character of the Cambridge Azur 640C player I once owned with the Wolfson DAC.

The 0404 USB has substantially more detail and transparency, deeper bass, and extended highs. You hear the instruments "in their own space", soundstage is much improved. No contest; the 0404 USB wins out if you have the cash to afford it.

My general disclaimer (and beef about gear reviews taken out of context) is this......too many equipment reviews are more a review of the material played than the gear itself. To me, I find it hard to believe that a particular DAC is just wonderful on female vocals but not on male vocals. Either it's accurate across the board, or it's not; if you have an idea of just how much processing has been done to the vocals on most recordings (which reverb plug-in was used to sweeten them and how much was added, etc. etc.) you should realize that they are not the best way to judge a component for accuracy. Accuracy is my goal, not euphony. That's why I base 95% of my opinion on minimally miked orchestral recordings that are not processed.

Sep 2, 2007 at 12:19 PM Post #10 of 12
I'm currently waiting on mine and I just wanted to know, how much, if any, burn-in does the 710 require?

Thanks

Sep 2, 2007 at 12:25 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tone Def /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently waiting on mine and I just wanted to know, how much, if any, burn-in does the 710 require?

Thanks

None
smily_headphones1.gif
I never noticed any change and there is no reason why it would. If components on the card do burn in, I doubt the card is revealing enough to show it. IMO.

Sep 2, 2007 at 1:11 PM Post #12 of 12
Thanks, I just wondered about it.

I also found this link, http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...hp/t40513.html

One of the big reasons for me to get the AV-710 was to bypass KSampler and get rid of that static hiss on the onboard audio. The other was the wolfson dac chip. I guess now its more heavily slanted to the latter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back