Auzentech X-Meridian VS Asus Xonar Essence ST/STX ?
Nov 30, 2011 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

XenatR

Head-Fier
Hey guys, im about to start ordering parts for a new pc, and was wondering what to do in the audio department..

At the moment I have a 5year old Auzentech X-Meridian sound card, paired with Audio Technica ATH-A900 cans

I am happy with the sound (although the thin shiny material cover to each foam cup has come away :frowning2: ), but having heard about the Asus sound cards, it makes me wonder if I should upgrade the audio too!

I am a hardcore gamer, but also spend a lot of time, and love listening to music on youtube and mp3, and have my headphones on most of the time

Would I hear any difference between these cards?

Also which Asus would be the better option?

Dec 1, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #2 of 6
The Original XM 7.1 was a big step forward int he PC audio dept but many soundcards have been released since those days.  I would suggest that if you are considering changing your audio, buy the card, try it out and if it is not what you want, return it for a refund.

Feb 28, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #3 of 6
I'm having this question too, and it's surprisingly difficult to pin down an answer. I have a Prelude and wonder what I'd be gaining and losing in terms of stereo sound quality with the Xonar Essence. Including upgrade-wise, where it's clear the Auzen will accept OPA 627SM's and not quite clear how the Asus may respond to them.

Edit: As well I have an X-Meridian, I'm surprised I mixed them up for this thread though. That said I've always leaned towards the Prelude, but sometimes wonder what would happen if I upgraded the X-Meridian's op-amps, and indeed how that would compare to the Prelude and Xonar too.

Feb 29, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #4 of 6
I really like my Essence STX, but can't see any good reason to replace the X-Meridian.
They both have the same audio processor, the C-Media Oxygen HD CMI8788.
Besides, C-Media just came out with the new CMI8888 audio processor, it is a native PCI-Express audio processor.
Asus is using it in their new sound card, the Phoebus, which should be out soon.
so hopefully there will other new sound cards coming out soon.

Feb 29, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
They both have the same audio processor, the C-Media Oxygen HD CMI8788.

Having the same DSP chip does not mean identical analog performance. It still depends on the DAC, op-amps, etc. used, and (quite importantly) how well these are implemented on the card.

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
Having the same DSP chip does not mean identical analog performance. It still depends on the DAC, op-amps, etc. used, and (quite importantly) how well these are implemented on the card.

I was just using the audio processor as one example comparing the two cards, did not feel like going over every little detail of the two cards.
I was more trying to point out that new cards are coming out and XenatR should hold off buying something right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back