Auzentech X-Meridian OPAMPs: How many do I have to change when only using headphones?
Jul 12, 2007 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

GermaniumGenie

Head-Fier
Hey, I wanted to replace the stock OPAMPs on my X-Meridian with LM4562's, but I was wondering if I have to change them all even though I use only headphones. I mean, would I notice a difference in sound quality if I changed all of them? I figure I wouldn't since I'm only using one jack.

Jul 12, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #3 of 15
so just one chip for headphones?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, you only have to change the front channels. That is the opamp closest to the outputs.

Jul 12, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #4 of 15
Yes. The Opamps are stereo. If you remove the card and lay it on the table and your Outputs are all to the left the first opamp on the left is the one for the Front left and right channels or the left an right for headphones. On the back of the box there is a diagram to show which opamp is which.

I seen the LM4562 opamps on Ebay for like 11 Pounds. Which I think is about $22 dollars!? I paid $20 CDN for 4 opamps but I got in on a group buy LONG before everybody started using these for their cards. In fact I was one of the first people recommending them to others in the forums. They are very new when compared to others. Alot of people are having difficulty finding them as they seem to be selling very quick for headphone amps and soundcards..etc. They are great amps. There are others that sound better then stock aswell. -Stock opamps aren't all that bad either, just not as nice sounding as the LM's

Jul 12, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #5 of 15
Hey thanks

I had a similar cap that I installed for now so I got it working. Anyway I have some new OPA627AP's in the front channel now. It sounds much better than the stock chips. I have some LM4562's sonic on the way to try maybe I will have them today or tomorrow.

Thanks
Frank

Quote:

Yes. The Opamps are stereo. If you remove the card and lay it on the table and your Outputs are all to the left the first opamp on the left is the one for the Front left and right channels or the left an right for headphones. On the back of the box there is a diagram to show which opamp is which.

I seen the LM4562 opamps on Ebay for like 11 Pounds. Which I think is about $22 dollars!? I paid $20 CDN for 4 opamps but I got in on a group buy LONG before everybody started using these for their cards. In fact I was one of the first people recommending them to others in the forums. They are very new when compared to others. Alot of people are having difficulty finding them as they seem to be selling very quick for headphone amps and soundcards..etc. They are great amps. There are others that sound better then stock aswell. -Stock opamps aren't all that bad either, just not as nice sounding as the LM's

Jul 13, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #6 of 15
The OPA627 are supposed to be very high end chips. I cannot comment as I have never tried them. The LM4562's are very clear and great for soundcards.
Can you give us a comparison between he OPA627's and the LM4562's when you get them?

Jul 13, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #7 of 15
sure thing I may not be the best one to do a comparison but I will give it a go. Right now the 627's are sounding better and better at only 12 hrs burn in.

It might be a little tricky to put those LM sonics on the Brown dog, the eyes just aint what they use to be.

Frank

Quote:

The OPA627 are supposed to be very high end chips. I cannot comment as I have never tried them. The LM4562's are very clear and great for soundcards.
Can you give us a comparison between he OPA627's and the LM4562's when you get them?

Jul 13, 2007 at 11:31 AM Post #8 of 15
I have now got OPA627BPs in my X-Meridian and while they sound great, they are still burning in. I put these in to replace th LM4562s I had been using (I never did hear my card with the stock op amps) After the burn in is complete I will take out one set of the 627s and put back the 4562 so I can use a switch to compare between them (not as good as an ABX but it is what I can do). BTW Frank, the LM4562s come in DIP 8 package so if you wanted to buy some of those (they were the same price when I bought them) I'm sure you could sell the SOIC ones to someone here who wanted to mod an X-fi. This would make things much easier for you at a fairly low cost.
Edit: I just noticed that the DIP package is not available at Digi-key so that is probably why you got the SOIC ones- Sorry about that.

Jul 13, 2007 at 12:09 PM Post #9 of 15
cool keep us updated, I am going to send the card back for a credit because NewEgg is out of them and I found another online. It will be hear early next week, the price was higher though.

I am seeing more noise, I dont know if it is the cap I replaced or the opa627.
are you hearing more backround noise?

Yeah I checked Digi, Mouser and Newark and the sonic's where all that was available.

Frank

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigmcg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have now got OPA627BPs in my X-Meridian and while they sound great, they are still burning in. I put these in to replace th LM4562s I had been using (I never did hear my card with the stock op amps) After the burn in is complete I will take out one set of the 627s and put back the 4562 so I can use a switch to compare between them (not as good as an ABX but it is what I can do). BTW Frank, the LM4562s come in DIP 8 package so if you wanted to buy some of those (they were the same price when I bought them) I'm sure you could sell the SOIC ones to someone here who wanted to mod an X-fi. This would make things much easier for you at a fairly low cost.
Edit: I just noticed that the DIP package is not available at Digi-key so that is probably why you got the SOIC ones- Sorry about that.

Jul 14, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #10 of 15
I haven't noticed more noise but I will be better able to judge once I get around to putting one of the 45462s back so I can switch back and forth between the two opamps quickly. My wife doesn't take me playing with PCs on weekends well so I will probably not get to try it until Monday night. I will update.

Jul 14, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #11 of 15
Women they just don't understand LOL. ok looking foward to what you find.

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigmcg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't noticed more noise but I will be better able to judge once I get around to putting one of the 45462s back so I can switch back and forth between the two opamps quickly. My wife doesn't take me playing with PCs on weekends well so I will probably not get to try it until Monday night. I will update.

Apr 27, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #14 of 15
The X-Meridian 7.1 came out about the same time as the LM4562 and the original modders of that card I thnk are responsible for much of the populraity of the LM4562 in the beginning. I can still remember buying my firstLM4562NA for this cad.

I would say the LM4562NA are more clarity and detil bu the bass can bit a bit light depending on your system.

The OPA627's are on of the most famous audio opamps it would seem but with any opamp some like them and some do not. They have alot of "fanfare" surrounding them and the hype can be bigger then the actual unit. If you know what I mean...

The OPA627 are more laidback and "warm" offering good bass and great high range. They are a very musical opamp. The stocks are alright but they are meant to be replaced. You might also consider the OPA637 as they have a bit better higher range detail. If you like the soudn of the LM4562NA, perhaps you should try some LME49720HA or a dual LME49710HA module. Both offer a simialr soudn to teh LM4562 but are a bit higher up the ladder in terms of sound quality. Both are metal can opamps and require adapters to be used with this card.
Awsome soundcard though, especially with some better opamps. I still have my XM and X-Tension Din board.
I have tested out many opamps on that card so if you have any questions, feel free to ask and I will help out if I can.

Apr 29, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #15 of 15
thanks for the quick response!

i just bought two lm4562 op-amps and found a bit of difference between the LM4562 and stock op-amp's and I like it! As you said, it offers more clarity and seems to be a little bit more upfront. bass quality is better (maybe due to the improve clarity?) and there isn't any noticeable drop in bass quantity.

anyway, i am currently using one on the front channels because when i tried to replace the back-surround channel it does not let my card recognize the drivers. for some weird reasons the system would recognize that a new hardware has been installed but fail to load the drivers so i cannot use the card. maybe now that i have the drivers installed i should give it another try but i'm a little bit afraid that i might short-circuit and ruin the card.

did u experience anything like this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back