Auzentech X-Fi Prelude Released
Sep 6, 2007 at 8:48 AM Post #31 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feebleminded /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am right with you. I would buy an EMU 0404 or the or a Chaintech going to an external DAC, but as a gamer you simply can't go that route. My plan is to probably go ahead and buy the Prelude for gaming, and then later get an external DAC with a DIY headphone amp strictly for music. In the end though, I still need the positioning effects available with the X-Fi chip for games. So the Prelude is a great stepping stone for gamers I feel.

This is though, if you are going to use an external DAC anyway why not just get a cheaper Creative card?

I suppose for games there is no competition really, although saying that benchmarks are typically within 5 fps of each other. Sadly no-one seems to have tried any multi-core benchmarks with games. I am wondering if having, say, a quad core processor would mostly negate the X-Fi advantage since no game so far can even max out two cores, leaving spare CPU cycles to do the audio processing the X-Fi does on-board.

Sep 6, 2007 at 11:13 AM Post #32 of 49
Only reason I'm looking at this card is it has toslink. That's it, that's all. If Creative made an X-Fi with toslink I'd own it but they don't, so I'm looking at Prelude. Not a big fan of these toslink-mini adapters though, don't look too sturdy. If I use the coax, the price jumps as another XV2 would cost as much as the card itself
frown.gif

Note to Creative... make one with toslink
tongue.gif

Sep 6, 2007 at 11:28 AM Post #33 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feebleminded /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am right with you. I would buy an EMU 0404 or the or a Chaintech going to an external DAC, but as a gamer you simply can't go that route. My plan is to probably go ahead and buy the Prelude for gaming, and then later get an external DAC with a DIY headphone amp strictly for music. In the end though, I still need the positioning effects available with the X-Fi chip for games. So the Prelude is a great stepping stone for gamers I feel.

The greatest thing about the external DAC route is you still get all the X-Fi positional effects (CMSS 3D with the digital out) and in the meantime you've got a good source.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mojo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is though, if you are going to use an external DAC anyway why not just get a cheaper Creative card?

I suppose for games there is no competition really, although saying that benchmarks are typically within 5 fps of each other. Sadly no-one seems to have tried any multi-core benchmarks with games. I am wondering if having, say, a quad core processor would mostly negate the X-Fi advantage since no game so far can even max out two cores, leaving spare CPU cycles to do the audio processing the X-Fi does on-board.

the Auzen should be a more stable card, it uses better components and a superior power section to the Creative cards, so even if you can't hear it digital output should be slightly better, and in the meantime he'll have a better sounding card.

Actually, games coded for multi-threading are already out. they're few and far between, but almost all games coming out now, and definitely almost 100% of games coming out in 2008 will be coded for multiple cores. Even games coded as single threaded applications tend to run better on a dual core without worrying about what programs are running in the background.

Sep 6, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #34 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Large amounts of buffers give the CPU a huge load, though.

Sep 7, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #37 of 49
My opinion from reading various reviews. The card is not that great of an upgrade to existing X Fi owners, especially the Elite Pro. However, I believe that will change once the release version of the true Auzentech drivers are released.

Maybe by then Creative will release the PCI express X Fi (which I would buy, only to open up a PCI slot).

Sep 7, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #39 of 49
I dont understand why an external dac would be so much better than the prelude.

It would use the same components as the prelude anyways.

Just because it's outside the computer?

I'd like to see a blind test review, and I bet most people would not notice a difference.

Am I wrong?

Sep 7, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #40 of 49
External box is more "in" and they tell it's better.

I think peaple get bias very very easily if they hear something with different color they claim .. wow .. it's a way better ... lol

If you want my opinion ... 175$ soundcard like x-Meridian 7.1 with LM4562 match CD player to 5000-6000$ US easily.

I have done A LOT of tests ... 1 good amp for headphone with 3 differents sets of good tubes, 2 headphone, 3 different hi-end audiosystem ... all time same result ... I am not really able to tell wich one is playing.
"slight coloration is not better or worse ... you can prefer one or other but it's only a match for your audiosystem and your own tastes).

Do you own tests ... you will see.

I hope will help you to take a decision.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kryogen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont understand why an external dac would be so much better than the prelude.
It would use the same components as the prelude anyways.
Just because it's outside the computer?
I'd like to see a blind test review, and I bet most people would not notice a difference.
Am I wrong?

Sep 7, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #41 of 49
Initial Comparison of Playstation versus Prelude:

I used Foobar and the ASIO plugin with bit-matched playback turned on in the console. I level matched the sources with my ear by switching back and forth and adjusting the ASIO volume slider; the final setting was -8.3dB. I then played a CD and it's FLAC rip at the same time and switched between the two with the source selection switch on my amp. I didn't use cables of identical construction and I would say that the Playstation had better cable.

The difference between the sources was very small; apply this idea to the following statements. The Playstation seemed more relaxed and fuller sounding. The Prelude seemed to have a slightly narrower soundstage, more impact, and more tightness. I guess one could describe the Playstation as the more "analog sounding" of the two.

Sep 8, 2007 at 8:43 AM Post #42 of 49
Um... you compared two digital, bit-perfect and lossless sources...

Sep 9, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #44 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone else get one of these running vista 32bit? I can't get my 5.1 speakers to work at all... I don't have any speaker options, only 2.1 and digital out doesn't seem to work either

Yes. Vista 32bit Ultimate. I've only used the 2 front channel analog out, though.

Sep 9, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #45 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone else get one of these running vista 32bit? I can't get my 5.1 speakers to work at all... I don't have any speaker options, only 2.1 and digital out doesn't seem to work either

Right click on the volume icon in the tray, click playback devices, select speakers, and click the configure button. You'll need to repeat this every time you change modes, unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back