Auzentech X-Fi Prelude Released
Aug 31, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #16 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it upsample to 48khz like Creative's X-Fi-based cards or do the digital outputs provide 44.1?

X-fi also provides 44.1...

Sep 1, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #19 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it upsample to 48khz like Creative's X-Fi-based cards or do the digital outputs provide 44.1?

where have you been for the last few years? that is old old stuff.

I wonder how it will compare to the the whole line up of cards, especially the Elite Pro (being in the roughly same price point for the card, not the bundled crap with the Elite).

Sep 1, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #20 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Liver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where have you been for the last few years? that is old old stuff.

I wonder how it will compare to the the whole line up of cards, especially the Elite Pro (being in the roughly same price point for the card, not the bundled crap with the Elite).

I've been out of the PC-building world, sadly!
tongue.gif

Sep 2, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #22 of 49
It's been on newegg for the last couple days. ncixus has it cheaper, but by the time you pay for shipping and their premium RMA service (which Newegg includes for free) there's less than $15 difference in price. so I ordered from the egg

Sep 5, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #24 of 49
To be honest I can't really see the point of this card.

Sound quality wise, a good DAC and cheap Envy based card is going to be better. Performance/driver wise, there is no advantage over a cheaper Creative card.

Sep 5, 2007 at 11:50 AM Post #26 of 49
ouch, I'm glad I ordered before they hiked the price!

I'll have one on Friday.

The thing you have to remember is that, yes there likely are and will be better cards out if you're purely looking for sound quality, but there's a segment of us who are hardcore gamers, were gamers long before we 'discovered' hi-fi and our computers primary function (aside from getting work done) is gaming. So, if you want the best gaming performance then you had to buy a creative X-Fi card, which is OK at best. The Elite Pro actually isn't that bad, but is pretty spendy. This card should easily be better than the X-Fi cards, cost less than the Elite Pro, and still offer the great gaming performance plus some other things that Creative screwed up. So, from that perspective it's a great card and is sure to sell. I know I'm not the only gamer who is excited about the card.

for a casual gamer, or someone who wants to watch movies or listen to music I can understand why you wouldn't be too excited about it though

Sep 5, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #27 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ouch, I'm glad I ordered before they hiked the price!

I'll have one on Friday.

The thing you have to remember is that, yes there likely are and will be better cards out if you're purely looking for sound quality, but there's a segment of us who are hardcore gamers, were gamers long before we 'discovered' hi-fi and our computers primary function (aside from getting work done) is gaming. So, if you want the best gaming performance then you had to buy a creative X-Fi card, which is OK at best. The Elite Pro actually isn't that bad, but is pretty spendy. This card should easily be better than the X-Fi cards, cost less than the Elite Pro, and still offer the great gaming performance plus some other things that Creative screwed up. So, from that perspective it's a great card and is sure to sell. I know I'm not the only gamer who is excited about the card.

for a casual gamer, or someone who wants to watch movies or listen to music I can understand why you wouldn't be too excited about it though

Exactly.

But it's actually really great for movies too. Just wait for the expansion card with HDMI 1.3.
cool.gif

NO other card has that from what I'm aware of.

Sep 6, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #29 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be honest I can't really see the point of this card.

Sound quality wise, a good DAC and cheap Envy based card is going to be better. Performance/driver wise, there is no advantage over a cheaper Creative card.

how do you figure? the opamps on the prelude are one of the best (lm4562 for l/r and opa2134 for rest) it uses some of the best akm dacs, and solid state caps throughout. compare this to the cheaper creative which uses cheap opamps, and full of cheap and nasty elec caps.

Quote:

meh. it is the same price as my fatality + PS audio superlink II dac. I'll put money on my sound being better lol.

Sure, but wont do 5.1/7.1 sound. thats half the point of an x-fi imo, 5.1/7.1 surround sound in games.

Sep 6, 2007 at 7:44 AM Post #30 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a segment of us who are hardcore gamers, were gamers long before we 'discovered' hi-fi and our computers primary function (aside from getting work done) is gaming. So, if you want the best gaming performance then you had to buy a creative X-Fi card, which is OK at best.

I am right with you. I would buy an EMU 0404 or the or a Chaintech going to an external DAC, but as a gamer you simply can't go that route. My plan is to probably go ahead and buy the Prelude for gaming, and then later get an external DAC with a DIY headphone amp strictly for music. In the end though, I still need the positioning effects available with the X-Fi chip for games. So the Prelude is a great stepping stone for gamers I feel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back