Auzentech X-Fi HTHD 7.1 or Essence STX?
Sep 28, 2009 at 1:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

terente0081

New Head-Fier
I need a new PCIe sound card for my computer. I have narrowed my options to these two. Auzentech X-Fi Hometheater HD 7.1 and the Asus Xonar Essence STX.

The sound card will be linked by RCA cable to a Yamaha A/V receiver, passing DDL or DTS signal (receiver doesnt support HDMI 1.3a). Both cards support these standards and the sound quality is mostly dependant on the DACs inside the receiver... so it's a tie here.
The sound card must also drive the Denon AH-D5000 headphones. I have a Yarland P100 headphone amp, but, the better the pre-amp, the better the sound. So, if you know one of the 2 cards to have a better headphone amplifier, please name it.

I need to make up my mind. I use my computer for music, movies and games.
I've heard lots of good things about the sound quality of the STX and I know it's good for music and movies... but I know for a fact that the gaming part is not good. I've been playing with a Xonar D2/PM card and GX mode just doesn't compare with the genuine EAX experience.
Do any of you guys have any experience with the Auzen card? It's relatively new and reviews are not up yet.
In terms of sound quality, how does the Auzen X-Fi HTHD 7.1 compare to the Essence STX?

Nov 15, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #3 of 5
Sorry to drag this thread back from the dead, but I'm currently chewing on this very same question.

For me, it's Forte versus HTHD versus STX.

I'm leaning heavily toward the Auzentech side of the equation, if only because PC gaming is a big part of my day and I've read in numerous places (including threads here on Head-Fi) that the headphone out amp is much better than on the ASUS offering. I realize the Essence offers the best sound quality overall, but it seems the majority of audiocentric gamers tend to prefer the Forte. I realize X-fi is something of a dead/dying consideration, but still the Forte tends to win out when gaming is a key consideration (though I'd honestly like to hear Dolby Headphone versus CMSS-3D). I'm not one to immediately assume that the newest piece of hardware is the best, nor do I put a ton of stock in performance on paper.

I see 3 out of the 4 people who responded to the poll voted ASUS Essence STX. Can anyone shed some additional light on the subject?

Again, pardon my thread necromancy.

Dec 14, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #4 of 5
ZOMBIES!!

I am also guilty of raising the dead, there seems like few other posts on this. I am torn between Xonar HDAV1.2, Xonar Essence and the new Auzentech, although the price tag seems to weigh heavily against....any opinions from someone using any of these?
mostly used for blu ray on PC and of course music

Dec 14, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #5 of 5
Of the three, I've only heard the HomeTheater, which is what I have. I chose Auzentech because I had previous positve experience with them: I also have a Prelude.

I spend a lot of time online with World of Warcraft and I needed CMSS 3D Headphone. I also like to watch Blu-ray, so that ruled out the Forte. For me the HomeTheater was a pretty easy choice. Nothing else offers the combination of features I was looking for (plus a good headphone output for my Denons).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back