Auzentech X-Fi Bravura 7.1 hisssing sound at 44KHz?
May 10, 2010 at 12:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Mescalamba

Head-Fier
As stated, when Im using Bravura via ASIO4ALL or WASAPI at nominal sound frequency (most of my songs are at 44KHz, few at 48KHz) it produces ugly hissing and bit of crackles, over that is sound of song. (hissing is not completely accurate, simply loads of noise).

Resampled to 48KHz+ hissing and cracking is gone..

Any clue why?

Used different players, all do same (well cause they use same source, right..).

May 10, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #2 of 11
I never had that problem with WASAPI or ASIO4All. Tho I used JR media Center. I also didnt have it with any other players I tried But then I had it on 192khz in my sound options and then I have allow app and that other box check which is needed to do auto match sample or whatever it called with WASAPI on the card.

May 11, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #3 of 11
This reminds me of the noise floor on the Apogee Duet at 44.1khz and 88.2, which decreases significantly at 48 and 96. I've not yet read a cogent explanation as to why this occurs on the Apogee but it sounds like you're having a similar experience with the Auzentech. When I returned mine for servicing the Apogee engineer claimed he couldn't hear the problem, but hundreds of people have posted a similar experience on various forums.

To be honest, it's not a big issue for me personally as I just set my sample rate to 24/96khz (recently discovered hdtracks heh) and Play/iTunes (I'm on a Mac) sampling changes are pretty much transparent.

May 20, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #11 of 11
" Dear George (thats me :D ), Thank you for contacting Auzentech. The X-Fi Bravura 7.1 is optimized in 48, 96 and 192kHz because of the characteristic of the audio processor. We are aware of the noise issue in 44.1kHz, and it is applicable to the same chipset line of Creative sound card(Extreme line) as well as the X-Fi Bravura 7.1. Some customers have found this noise issue in Windows Vista and 7 when they set the Windows default format to 44.1kHz and play with WDM or Direct sound. When you use the WASAPI with Bit-perfect, the application set the sample-rate as the same as the audio source. However, almost 44.1kHz contents may have the noise issue. Therefore, we recommend you to set the sample rate to 48 or 96kHz using the ‘Re-sampler settings’ for the best sound. "

Anyone else finds this little bit strange? Ofc its pretty sensible explanation (one that poped in my mind without knowing this), but.. really, audio card that CANT produce clean 44KHz sound? Especially if even "stupid" cheap Xonar can? (and just for the record, one of those cheap I had have pretty good sound)

Well, its wierd..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back