Auzentech Forte, Soundblaster X-fi Titanium HD, or other?
Dec 27, 2011 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

audiogamer

New Head-Fier
Looking for an upgrade to an older x-fi extreme music soundcard. Considering Forte and Titanium HD, budget is less than ~$150.

Gaming and positioning is important.

Needs built in features such as headphone amp/DAC.

Would like future 5.1 or 7.1 expandability (analog, if possible, as well as digital).

Usage is 65% gaming, 35% music. Been scouring the internet for other cards as well. Please list any recommendations in my price range.

Thanks!

Dec 28, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #2 of 7
the x-fi titanium hd does not have a built in headphone amp. the forte does have a headphone amp. so if you really need a headphone amp to drive your headphones then that would slim down your choices

Dec 28, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #3 of 7
http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-XFi-Titanium-HD/M/B0041OUA38.htm

according to the creative site, it can handle up to 330 ohms or am I reading this wrong?

Dec 28, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #4 of 7
I can't really recommend Auzentech products and especially not the Forte. I had three Forte cards fail on me in half a year (analog outputs just went completely dead). Auzentech replaced the card twice after which I just asked for my money back. From what I've read, their cards have an extremely high failure rate and their customer service side is all kinds of sketchy - at first they insisted I cover the shipping & repair costs while the card was still under warranty and sent me a form asking for my credit card CVC among other things!

Dec 28, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #6 of 7
it doesnt put out much power though. compared to forte/xonar stx/omega claro halo which all have dedicated headphone amps it puts out far less power. whether you need that power is another question though. 

Quote:
http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-XFi-Titanium-HD/M/B0041OUA38.htm

according to the creative site, it can handle up to 330 ohms or am I reading this wrong?

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #7 of 7
My X-Fi Forte, while I still had it (later traded for a Titanium HD), didn't totally crap out on me...but it was bought in March 2011 and had a heatsink on the EMU20k2 DSP, which earlier Forte cards don't. It could suggest a later batch that's not nearly as prone to failure.

As for the built-in headphone amp thing, while it's nice to have, it's important to ask whether you prefer to match your headphones to the amp, or match your amp to the headphones. If you do the latter (like I would think most people would), then chances are you'll have to go external at some point, unless the headphone is so sensitive and impedance-matches well enough with most equipment that it needs no dedicated amplifier. (The AD700 is one such headphone; not as certain about other popular, easy-to-drive models like the AD900.)

Also note that on either of those cards, if you're going to be plugging your headphones straight in, I urge you to start at only 5% volume and work your way up. It won't be much past 7% (at least with an AD700) before the volume becomes painfully loud. (If you use an external amp, keep it at around 10% to 25%. This should eliminate any possibility of clipping and give you more headroom with the EQ.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back