Auzen Forte vs Prelude vs Essence STX
Aug 7, 2009 at 7:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 89

neo-fi

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm thinking of buying stand-alone sound card to replace on-board Realtek ALC885 HD Audio (which sounds definately a lot better than my previous on-board audio). So far I've checked out Asus Xonar Essence STX, Creative X-Fi:s and already mentioned Auzen products.

I ended up with Forte vs Prelude mainly because:
1. Xonar isn't targeted to gamers and lacks true EAX
2. Auzentech products are superior by all means to Cretive's products

AFAIK Forte and Prelude are almost similar products, major differences being: low-profile design and headphone/mic amps for Forte.
I'm almost always using headphones so I clearly should go with Forte?, but is there any reason why should I choose Prelude over Forte from gamers point of view ofc?

Current headset: Koss SB-45 @100 ohms
Possible future headset: Sennheiser PC350 @150 ohms
amp will come handy
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 7, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #5 of 89
Forgot to mention my motherboard: GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Specification - GA-MA790FXT-UD5P (rev. 1.0)
AFAIK there is no difference between PCI vs PCIe, exept their positioning on the board: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/...t-ud5p_big.jpg

Integrated amp would be perfect in my case since I doubt that I buy external amp any time soon. (this leaves Forte and Xonar)

And what comes to EAX then I know Xonar Essence can emulate it.
Reviews show that Xonar Essence doesn't perform so good in games than the Forte or Prelude although Xonar is best card for music.

Aug 8, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #7 of 89
Ok, to make things simpler let's compare Xonar Essence STX vs Forte, I'm leaving out the Prelude since it has no amp for headphones.
I did more research on the subject and this is what I've come up:
Overclock3d:
Overclock3D.Net :: Review :: Asus Xonar Essence STX - PCI-E Audiophile Soundcard :: Conclusion
Overclock3D.Net :: Review :: Auzentech X-Fi Forte Low Profile 7.1 PCI-E Sound Card :: Conclusion

Overclock3D.Net :: Review :: Auzentech X-FI Prelude 7.1 Sound Card :: Conclusion
Why prelude has “Best for gaming” award and Forte does not? IMO they're identical what comes to gaming? OR NOT??
redface.gif

Elitebastards:
Elite Bastards
Elite Bastards
The links work correctly but for some reason they're displayed as Elite Bastards

Guru3d:
ASUS Xonar Essence STX soundcard review
Auzentech X-fi Forte 7.1 Soundcard review | test
These reviews I found particularly interesting, mainly because Steven “ROBSCIX” Wall.
Guess you're the same guy as here, on Head-Fi forums?
beerchug.gif

Overclockers.com.au:
ASUS Xonar Essence STX v Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1 review: this clearly states that one is for gaming and other for music
ASUS Xonar Essence STX v Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1 review - Overclockers Australia Forums
Great variety of sound cards reviewed simply and quickly:
Sounds Cards Comparo (or The search for Aural Pleasure) - Overclockers Australia Forums
STX and Forte are neck to neck here again, but I think reviewer has forgot to mention positonal sounds for STX
confused_face_2.gif

So based on those reviews I've gone back and forth between STX and Forte, just can't decide which one to get. Both are huge step up from integrated soundcard and both have amp.
I'd seriouly want to get STX since it's better than Forte on paper but it lacks in games... (although no matter what my onboard audio sucks even more
tongue_smile.gif
it can only make real difference on right/left... rest like up/down or front/behind is poorly implemented. So I really have to guess where the sound is coming)
And this is what I'm after:
“Games have two main components that give you an advantage: (1) positional sound (2) distance sound source is from you.” - Smiddi @ overclockers.com.au

So let's put it simple, which card is better in (1) and (2)?
And how much better?
Is there going to be improvements in drivers department to remedy the situation in favor to STX?

Aug 8, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #8 of 89
First off I gotta say I really love this kind of replies from people:
Quote:

Originally Posted by FatMom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EAX is dead.

Ok, back to topic.
To make things simpler let's compare Xonar Essence STX vs Forte, I'm leaving out the Prelude since it has no amp for headphones.
Overclock3d:
Overclock3D.Net :: Review :: Asus Xonar Essence STX - PCI-E Audiophile Soundcard :: Conclusion
Overclock3D.Net :: Review :: Auzentech X-Fi Forte Low Profile 7.1 PCI-E Sound Card :: Conclusion

Overclock3D.Net :: Review :: Auzentech X-FI Prelude 7.1 Sound Card :: Conclusion
Why prelude has “Best for gaming” award and Forte does not? IMO they're identical what comes to gaming? OR NOT??
redface.gif

Elitebastards:
Elite Bastards
Elite Bastards
The links work correctly but for some reason they're displayed as Elite Bastards

Guru3d:
These reviews I found particularly interesting, mainly because Steven “ROBSCIX” Wall.
beerchug.gif

Overclockers.com.au:
ASUS Xonar Essence STX v Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1 review: this clearly states that one is for gaming and other for music
ASUS Xonar Essence STX v Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1 review - Overclockers Australia Forums
Sounds Cards Comparo (or The search for Aural Pleasure) - Overclockers Australia Forums
STX and Forte are neck to neck here again, but I think reviewer has forgot to mention positonal sounds for STX
confused_face_2.gif

So based on those reviews I've gone back and forth between STX and Forte, just can't decide which one to get. Both are huge step up from integrated soundcard and both have amp.
I'd seriouly want to get STX since it's better than Forte on paper but it lacks in games... (although no matter what my onboard audio sucks even more
tongue_smile.gif
it can only make real difference on right/left... rest like up/down or front/behind is poorly implemented. So I really have to guess where the sound is coming)
“Games have two main components that give you an advantage: (1) positional sound (2) distance sound source is from you.” - Smiddi @ overclockers.com.au

And how much better?
Is there going to be improvements in drivers department to remedy the situation in favor to STX?
So if you give me enough of good reasons why to get STX over Forte then I'll get it!!

Aug 8, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #9 of 89
hmm, last message didn't show up here so I re-posted... it didn't show up either.
Guess there'll be double post, then the 1st message can be deleted
sent at 05:13 PM

Seems like this quick reply only works for me now... although the normal reply worked yesterday, weird.

it's 19:17 here already and it isn't still showed up so I'll post it trough quick reply if it's possible...

HHAHAHAHAHHA, now I see the problem
smily_headphones1.gif
didn't notice that my post will be posted after moderator takes look at it
wink.gif
(Guess it was a bit long then ^^) Well now there's 3 posts to review... the 2nd normal reply and quickreply post are the right ones

@ moderators: Just delete the first two posts but leave the newest quickreply as it is

Aug 8, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #10 of 89
Quote:

EAX is dead.

Ok, back to topic.
To make things simpler let's compare Xonar Essence STX vs Forte, I'm leaving out the Prelude since it has no amp for headphones.
Overclock3d:

redface.gif

Elitebastards:
Elite Bastards
Elite Bastards

Guru3d:
beerchug.gif

Overclockers.com.au:
confused_face_2.gif

tongue_smile.gif

And how much better?
So if you give me enough of good reasons why to get STX over Forte then I'll get it!!

Aug 8, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #11 of 89
So here's the same post I've tried to post 2 times using "Post Reply", but thing is that it never shows up.
Now through Quick Reply:

Quote:

EAX is dead.

Ok, back to topic.
Overclock3d:

redface.gif

Elitebastards:
Elite Bastards
Elite Bastards

Guru3d:
beerchug.gif

Overclockers.com.au:
confused_face_2.gif

tongue_smile.gif

And how much better?

Aug 9, 2009 at 10:45 AM Post #12 of 89
Since we're still waiting my replies from yesterday I'll just post plain text without any links:

I'd seriouly want to get STX since it's better than Forte on paper but it lacks in games...
Although no matter what my onboard audio sucks even more
tongue_smile.gif
It can only make real difference on right/left... rest, like up/down or front/behind is poorly implemented. So I really have to guess where the sound is coming.
And that is what I'm after:

And how much better?

Aug 9, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #13 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by neo-fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since we're still waiting my replies from yesterday I'll just post plain text without any links:

I'd seriouly want to get STX since it's better than Forte on paper but it lacks in games...
Although no matter what my onboard audio sucks even more
tongue_smile.gif
It can only make real difference on right/left... rest, like up/down or front/behind is poorly implemented. So I really have to guess where the sound is coming.
And that is what I'm after:

And how much better?

This comes down to whether you prefer Dolby Headphone to CMSS-3D Headphone. You'll see both preferences posted here.

Aug 9, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #14 of 89
Let's put it this way: I have no experience about DH nor CMSS-3D (I'll check wikipedia for more details) so I really can't say anything about those yet. I'll be doing more research on those shortly.
As being totally newcomer to this Hi-Fi world I guess either one I pick will impress me over the on-board audio, which has really bad sound positioning.

About games I own/play:
atm I mostly play Source-engine games such as CSS, TF2, etc. Also some QuakeLive.
I also found out that my game collection has only few games which support EAX.

And finally is there some reason (like headphones or game) to pick DH over CMSS-3D or other way around?
Current headset is Koss SB-45 which I think I replace with Sennheiser PC350, need more advice about PC350 though
wink.gif
But I think the headset will be totally different subject.

Aug 10, 2009 at 12:31 PM Post #15 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by 43st /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This comes down to whether you prefer Dolby Headphone to CMSS-3D Headphone. You'll see both preferences posted here.

I found out that basically DH and CMSS-3D do the same thing in their own way.
DH is from Dolby and CMSS-3D is creatives implemention of creating multi-channel-sound in stereo.
Thus this info isn't really helping at all to decide which card to pick.

So is there really any difference between these two, especially in sound position's accuracy? Since listening those audio demos they sounded to me pretty much the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back