Automotive paint
Dec 12, 2005 at 10:58 AM Post #2 of 15
the range of colours powdercoating offers and the finish is sensational, it shouldnt cost much, i had a whole bikeframe done (in a dark metallic green with two clearcoats) for sub $30usd about 8 yrs ago so amp chassis shouldnt be too expensive. they did my frame in the same colour as another job they had on at the time, hence the low cost. just remember to drill and tap any holes out again after its been done so that stuff fits properly again.

Dec 12, 2005 at 11:06 AM Post #3 of 15
Depends how much surface area you are trying to cover. Also what paint you are looking to apply?

I've done some backpanels recently with paint from cans. Its not that hard to get a resonable finish.

In the UK the paint/primer/lacquer is roughly $7-8 a can, once you factor in some sandpaper etc its going to cost you 40-50 bux for a small amp case.

Prep is the key, make sure the surface is flat and unscarred. Lay down a few coats of primer, sand it, few more coats, sand it. Then apply colour and clear!

You need a warm dry place to do this and some level of patience. For eg I was almost done and put a little too much clear on, got a run and had to start again. Lost a day!

If you are doing a 19" rackmount or something I'd be tempted to pick a popular colour, do the prep myself and give it the primer. Then take it to the auto body shop for the final layers. If they have the paint there it should be cheap and fast.

Dec 12, 2005 at 11:08 AM Post #4 of 15
Powdercoating - mmm, that might be a better choice.
If it works like they show on the American TV shows, then you can seemingly coat anything to a great finish
orphsmile.gif

Dec 12, 2005 at 1:46 PM Post #5 of 15
if you want a shiny finish after coat with polyeurathane (excuse spelling It's 11:45pm). Just don't inhale.

Dec 12, 2005 at 7:21 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyskraper
they did my frame in the same colour as another job they had on at the time, hence the low cost.

Finding a place that will do mine along side someone elses might be the key.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
Just don't inhale.

A good reason not to do this myself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magsy
If it works like they show on the American TV shows, then you can seemingly coat anything to a great finish

just how perfect does the surface need to be?

-d

Dec 12, 2005 at 7:58 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk
just how perfect does the surface need to be?

Surface has to be pretty flat, but whats important is that the surface has to be chemically clean, i.e., no spec of moister or oil on it (one fingerprint on the case and the primer might peel off in the future).

Also, painting it yourself is a big investment in money and in time. That is, you will have to get at least one can of primer and a can of color paint that you want, in addition to paint stripper (in case you have some form of paint covering already on the chassis). Automotive paint also takes quite a bit of time to cure (depending on the type of paint you use of course), so patience is ABSOLUTELY necessary.

I had painted a par-metals cover using automotive paint and I used up one full can of primer and one full can of glossy black paint to get the finish that I wanted. Any mistakes and you would mostlikely have to start again...

Maybe worth the money to get a professional to paint the chassis for you. I think almost any automotive body shop would do it for a price.

Dec 12, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #8 of 15
Automotive enamels then bake in a toaster oven
wink.gif

Do NOT use this method in a gas oven or you will have a possible explosion
eek.gif
or even in an electric range or you will havbe a house full of toxic fumes
blink.gif
but a small toaster oven in a well vented space
cool.gif

Dec 12, 2005 at 9:04 PM Post #10 of 15
Painting steel is a lot easier than painting aluminum. Car paint will stick to steel with minimal prep work. With aluminum the surface has to be very clean and you need a good layer of primer.

Dec 12, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

it's a 17"x14" top plate for my low mu preamp

comes in all sizes
wink.gif

the trick with enamels is heat and baking on the paint or it never really cures right and will chip.In an actual automotive body shop (did a sting in one in my twenties
tongue.gif
) they use heat lamps in the paint booth for the heat which in a pich you could probably DIY a version of but remeber what heat is and where it can go unseen.
A damn lot of fires have been started heating up various materials with a simple little hand held heat gun and after leaving the area an internal wall fire breaks out.

Heat resistant suraces surrounding the item painted and about 2-3 hours "baking" at 300 F should do 'er

Dec 12, 2005 at 11:48 PM Post #12 of 15
You could always try home anodising. You need to sand down the surface first so you remove the current anodising, and go down just to the oxide. There's instructions on the net; but all you need is some acid, and a 200V DC power supply (easier for us in the UK, you could use 120V only difference is that the anodising won't be as thick), and some dye.

Anodising for me is the ultimate look for aluminium, perfect except for the fragile nature of the anodising layer

Dec 12, 2005 at 11:59 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY
Painting steel is a lot easier than painting aluminum. Car paint will stick to steel with minimal prep work. With aluminum the surface has to be very clean and you need a good layer of primer.

Etch primer is the key to painting ally if you want any kind of paint adhesion...

Dec 13, 2005 at 12:55 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk
Finding a place that will do mine along side someone elses might be the key.

before u shoot it down u should try calling places
wink.gif
the first four places i called were all willing to do it for me they all said the colour choice would depend on other jobs they had in there. i chose the shop i ended up using because it was a 30 minute walk from my place not a 1.5 hr bus/train/walk trip like the other ones were. the guys were cool about it all and said anytime i wanted anything else done to give them a call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back