Auto Switching Input Selector...Is There One?
Oct 5, 2007 at 11:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Listen2this1

100+ Head-Fier
I am wanting to know if there is someone that offers a auto switching input selector. I have seen some home audio equiptment that works when you select play on the source the switcher automatically goes to the input. If not is there a easy way to make one?

Help Please

Oct 6, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #3 of 11
Funny, I was just thinking about designing such a project on the drive home from work today. I still have to think about the feasibility of my approach, but I will potentially have a paper design fairly soon.

I was thinking about this for SPDIF in particular, but I imagine if relays were used it wouldn't be any more difficult to make it detect an analog signal...

Oct 6, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #4 of 11
Such a thing would get mighty confused when both inputs have signals, which is not an implausible situation...
wink.gif

Oct 6, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #5 of 11
For 2 channels a comparator circuit works. 1st source is always normally on. If audio is sensed on other 2nd source it will switch the relay over. Its drawback is not sensing on circuit 1. It could be done with more comparators but i think it would become complicated quickly.
audioswitchly3.jpg

Oct 6, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Such a thing would get mighty confused when both inputs have signals, which is not an implausible situation...
wink.gif

I was wondering about that too.

Oct 6, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

Of course. My plan was to have it 'hunt' when no signal was detected, and latch when a signal is found. To get it to move from there (even if signal is lost), the user would have to press a button.

The plan is to use I2C to communicate with an output expander to control dual-colour LEDs to indicate signal presence and selection (green vs. red vs. no output). The MCU would continually scan the inputs and write to the output expander. I would provide a jumper to allow it to act as an I2C slave with registers providing status and input selection as well so it could be added easily to other MCU-controlled projects (like the preamp I keep putting off).

We'll see if I bother going further...

Oct 6, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #8 of 11
I have used the Sutherland Director Pre-amp before and it works perfect. The chance of me having two sources at a time is slim, so that would not be a problem. The thing that I would like to have is a switcher like a Darwin SS from Twisted Pear that would auto switch. I am wanting to do this because of the simplicity of the systems that I could design (less knobs). I think that three inputs would be fine.

Oct 7, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Listen2this1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have used the Sutherland Director Pre-amp before and it works perfect. The chance of me having two sources at a time is slim, so that would not be a problem. The thing that I would like to have is a switcher like a Darwin SS from Twisted Pear that would auto switch. I am wanting to do this because of the simplicity of the systems that I could design (less knobs). I think that three inputs would be fine.

If you're interested in waiting a few months while I do the dev work on this, I might have something that would do exactly what you want.

As I said, the design is specifically tailored for SPDIF sources, but it will be very flexible and could definitely be wired directly to a Darwin selector relay board. I expect to support 4 inputs (possibly 8, but this would make things considerably more complicated).

The basic design is to use a trimpot to set a comparator reference voltage on an ATtiny44 microcontroller. The ADC inputs (there are 8 total, 5 usable in my design) would then be connected directly to the source signals. The comparator can be switched between any of the 8 ADC inputs, and it can be set up to trigger an interrupt when the input voltage 'crosses' the threshold voltage, or it may be better to simply poll it. Either way, it should be easy to detect a signal. The microcontroller will continually scan the state of all the inputs so it will always know which ones are connected.

The AVR will be pretty much the only required part; in this case the output of the system would be 2 address lines giving the selected input and a 'signal present' signal. I2C as well. Input would be a single pushbutton.

However, I would like to make this nicer to use in a real application, so I will be adding an 8-bit IO expander intended to drive LEDs; either 2 LEDs per channel (signal/selected) or 1 bi-colour LED per channel. There will also be an analog multiplexer that would be able to directly switch SPDIF signals without relays - this could be wired 'in reverse' to drive relays as well (you would connect the output to power, and the selected input would power the relay). These parts would be optional.

Should be a pretty easy build, the tough bit would be programming the micro. Basic parts cost should be under $10, fully populated for switching SPDIF or driving relays directly. We'll see if I take the plunge to order prototype boards and build it up...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back