auto on/off - relay controlled? Audiosource amp-100
Jul 28, 2007 at 10:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

zhefei

New Head-Fier
The auto on/off clicking has been bothering me on the Audiosource Amp-100, and I was wondering if I could easily fix it myself. The reviews will explain what I mean.

My best guess is that it's controlled by a relay. If so, can I just bypass it?
Again, if so, what is the best, safe way to take apart the amp?

Let me know if I'm completely off-base. I just wanted to get some feedback before I should try it, or just get a new amp.

Jul 28, 2007 at 12:16 PM Post #2 of 8
Ha ha ha... I just spent all last night (& like $15) trying to put a power-on delay relay into my NAD. Those relays are there to:

1) stop the turn-on thump you get 1st turn it on (for my NAD, it must be lots of DC cause my woofers do full extension),
and
2) sometimes to support speaker protection... E.g. they can be link to a protection circuit that cuts your speakers out if the amp fails.

It should just be a click after a couple secs at turn on...
Keep it.

Edit: Above applies if you *are* talking about the power-on speaker delay relay... Might ignore some of what I've said if you are talking about some other relay in that amp (only relays I've seen in amps *are* the power-on delay ones I talked about)

Jul 28, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the reply.

I wasn't trying to remove the power-on delay. That, I will keep.

The Audiosource has a "feature" where it turns itself on and off depending on whether it detects an audio signal. Problem is, during quiet parts of music or movies, it will not detect sound, and shut itself off, accompanied by a very audible click. When the signal gets louder, it turns on with a click, and misses the first second or so of sound.

I just want to disable this feature. There isn't a built in switch to toggle this, either, so i wanted to go in and see if there's an easy fix. Anything I need to know before cracking the case open? I'm thinking about power supply issues and safety.

Thanks

Jul 29, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by zhefei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the reply.
I wasn't trying to remove the power-on delay. That, I will keep.

The Audiosource has a "feature" where it turns itself on and off depending on whether it detects an audio signal. <snip>

Sorry, I've been too deep into power-on output delays these days
smily_headphones1.gif

If you can get ahold of a schematic for your amp (e.g. like a service one w/voltages, etc.), you might be able to find the part & disable it...
It gets trickier w/no schematic & yes the power safety thing becomes an issue..

Maybe someone w/one of those amps will see your post or maybe post it on a different site (like one re: amp repairs?).

Good luck.

Jul 29, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 8
Are you sure you have the Amp-100? If you do, it has a selector to switch off that function. It's called "Auto On"--you currently have it set on "Auto", and to disable this you need to turn it to "Normal". The selector should be on the back of the amp, in between the RCA inputs and the speaker binding posts, just below the stereo/mono bridge selector.

Jul 29, 2007 at 7:03 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by SysteX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure you have the Amp-100? If you do, it has a selector to switch off that function. It's called "Auto On"--you currently have it set on "Auto", and to disable this you need to turn it to "Normal". The selector should be on the back of the amp, in between the RCA inputs and the speaker binding posts, just below the stereo/mono bridge selector.

Yes, the Amp-100. You are right, it does have the selector switch there. I have it set to Normal, and it still does this, but luckily I have found the problem. I think if I connect the source to Line 2 input, it shouldn't auto-switch, since line 2 overrides Line 1 (doesn't make sense to me, but it does that). Line 1 auto-offs or switches regardless of the "Auto On" switch setting. I think I'll try it in the morning.

Thanks for all your responses. I'm glad I didn't have to open it up after all, [crosses fingers].

Jul 5, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by SysteX /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, the Amp-100. You are right, it does have the selector switch there. I have it set to Normal, and it still does this, but luckily I have found the problem. I think if I connect the source to Line 2 input, it shouldn't auto-switch, since line 2 overrides Line 1 (doesn't make sense to me, but it does that). Line 1 auto-offs or switches regardless of the "Auto On" switch setting. I think I'll try it in the morning.

Thanks for all your responses. I'm glad I didn't have to open it up after all, [crosses fingers].

Covid has me newly working from home. I dusted off an old Amp100 and Polk (pre-Atrium) speaker from the garage in my build out of the home office (rather than buying new computer speakers) for conference calls. They've been working beautifully except the constant Auto-On clicking that can be heard by co-workers on the calls. I too had the switch set to 'normal' which seemed to have no effect.

I found this article and moved the inputs to line-2 which fixed the click. I just had to say thanks... if 13 years later. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back