Autechre "Untilted" to be released in FLAC!
Apr 15, 2005 at 2:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Publius

500+ Head-Fier
Good news.
Quote:

The album is available to pre-order in Warpmart now, and for the first time ever will be dowloadable from Bleep in FLAC lossless audio.

What's almost as cool is that the entire album is legally previewable in 128kbps MP3 (this isn't new)... without breaks between songs (this is).

Alas, I will probably be buying this from Waterloo on the 19th to maintain my all-CD Autechre discog, but maybe I should get the FLAC version too to support Bleep, and to get it a day earlier. If anything, the track transitions are bound to be a bit more accurate too.

Apr 15, 2005 at 2:43 PM Post #2 of 23
Yeah, I saw that. Fantastic news. I've been waiting a while to have some place to buy flacs from.

Too bad the new Autechre album isn't very good at all.
tongue.gif

Apr 22, 2005 at 3:08 PM Post #4 of 23
The more I listen to it, the better it sounds. I think it's an excellent release. It's a lot more propulsive than Draft 7.30, which in my opinion was a great album but it kind of "sat there" and didn't have much momentum.

Untilted is in the same vein as LP5 or Cichlisuite, in the way the rhythms are constructed and destructed of endlessly chattering bits of sound. At first it seemed impossibly dense and kind of headache-inducing, but now that I've had it for a few days it's really standing out.

Apr 22, 2005 at 9:53 PM Post #5 of 23
i'm listening to "untitled" now. i like it already, although so far "confield" is my favorite.

any other bands like autechre, but more extreme?

Apr 23, 2005 at 1:59 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
any other bands like autechre, but more extreme?

"Extreme"? I suggest you go through Autechre's back-catalog first.

Apr 23, 2005 at 3:00 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Publius
Merzbow is considered a fairly major influence on Autechre. There isn't much of anything more "extreme" than that.

Er, considered so by whom? Merzbow is definitely extreme, but absolutely NOTHING like Autechre.

Apr 23, 2005 at 4:29 AM Post #9 of 23
Well, that's why I put quotes around "extreme". As I understand it, a lot of the hallmarks of the Merzbow style - the lack of traditional or even coherent track progression, or melody, the fascination with texture and rhythm manipulation - you see a lot of this filtering into Autechre's stuff, starting at around Chiastic Slide. It's worth noting that Autechre did a track for a Merzbow tribute album around that time, although obviously Booth & Brown are influenced by many, many, many artists, and it's a gross simplification to just link the two together. But they have been namedropped together before.

Apr 23, 2005 at 5:44 AM Post #10 of 23
Well, yes. I'm sure Autechre have been tangentially influenced by Merzbow's work... just like they were influenced by many, many other artists, from Throbbing Gristle to KRS-One to My Bloody Valentine to John Cage.

Merzbow and Autechre are extremely dissimilar in terms of actual musical content.

Apr 24, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by minya
"Extreme"? I suggest you go through Autechre's back-catalog first.

i've got ep7, confield, tri repete, garbage, and some others on vinyl. tri repete was not as jagged as i hoped. i prefer the more a-rhythmic and texturual sounds of confield. any suggestions?

Apr 24, 2005 at 9:46 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
i've got ep7, confield, tri repete, garbage, and some others on vinyl. tri repete was not as jagged as i hoped. i prefer the more a-rhythmic and texturual sounds of confield. any suggestions?

LP5 and Chiastic Slide -- Autechre's two best albums in my opinion.

Confield is definitely one of Autechre's strangest albums. There isn't much else out there that sounds like Confield.

Apr 25, 2005 at 5:26 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Publius
Merzbow is considered a fairly major influence on Autechre. There isn't much of anything more "extreme" than that.

Untilted is really opening up to me.

Yeah but Merzbow and the whole noise genre is pretty bleh compared to IDM like Autechre. I used to frequent a music messageboard for independent techno artists and someone mad a thread called "Noise in 20 min or less" or some such thing and challanged people to make noise music as fast as possible. People were putting up songs that sound pretty damn close to merzbow in no time just clicking a few buttons. Hell I have no musical ability at all and I could make a noise track right now with effects on my EMU 0404 and Audacity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back