"Autechre" appreciation thread
May 16, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by lime /img/forum/go_quote.gif
granted, most of the people i know have heard of Autechre, Aphex Twin, and the ilk, but i would hardly say that the general populace at large know who they are.

Back in my day before toasters, Autechre, Aphex, Plaid etc were in Spin a-lot.

If you're in Spin, you're mainstream in my book.

May 16, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #17 of 23
I saw Autechre at the Parish exactly two years ago, right after Untilted came out. My god, I cried like a little girl. I'm not kidding! You can hear me screaming on the bootleg!

I still listen to Untilted on a near-daily basis. I think it's their best album, and a fine first purchase (but then again, my first purchase was Confield). It is very lean on the wacky special effects and granular synthesis magic that they were known for during a 10-year period (Chiastic Slide to Draft 7.30). In its place is the most ridiculously fast, yet subtle and nuanced MIDI programming you may ever hear.

May 16, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #18 of 23
I love Autechre. Anybody listen to Soul Oddity? That is one of my favorite albums. Good stuff.

May 16, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Publius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw Autechre at the Parish exactly two years ago, right after Untilted came out. My god, I cried like a little girl. I'm not kidding! You can hear me screaming on the bootleg!

yeah, i saw them in Phoenix, AZ on their Untilted tour. it was the closest tour stop to us on their route (~1600 miles round trip.. IT WAS WORTH IT!). unfortunately you can't hear ANYTHING on my bootleg >
frown.gif

that was some of the maddest programming i have ever heard, yet still completely danceable... in a hardcore glitch dancey kind of way. Prefuse 73 played two days after, and we unfortunately had to miss that
frown.gif

they really had some amazing remixes for their set. their Pro Radii remix was insaaaane. i just love that track. it is my goal to throw a show and book Autechre in the next couple of years.

OT: just saw Bjork at Red Rocks last night
biggrin.gif
(i live in Colorado). all i can say is :LAFKJL:AK$@) that bootleg came out much better, though still distorted :/ i need to get a better mic!

Oct 28, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #21 of 23
Now that there's a SECOND album for 2020, titled Plus, this thread deserves an up.

I had reservations on Sign the first time around, but warmed up to it quickly. Only previewed a few tracks off Plus so far, but I am feeling I will like it even better!

https://autechre.warp.net/release/208935-autechre-plus-

Oct 29, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #22 of 23
Dec 4, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #23 of 23
anybody listening to autechre new album - sign, it's rather different and a bit more accessible than last few albums, more ambient and definitely less glitch like.

I ordered the CDs of SIGN and PLUS two weeks ago when I realized Autechre has put new music out. I have listened to the FLACs of those, but today the CDs arrived and just listened to SIGN. Yep, it's easy Autechre. The last track "r cazt" sounds like something from a Tangerine Dream "The Sessions" releases. I love Tangerine Dream too so that's all fine. To me Autechre is the Tangerine Dream of generation X.

PLUS is more "glitchy" and not as easy as SIGN, but these two albums complement each other nicely.

but is 'plus' accessible, i didn't like untilted for being too extreme

I'd say PLUS is less accessible than SIGN. Autechre isn't really for those you want "accessible" music. Autechre is about exploring sonic landscapes others don't explore that much and to be challenged by what is discovered. For "accessible" music there's groups like Boards of Canada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back