Austrian Audio Hi-X60 closed back studio headphone
Sep 17, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #136 of 149
X60 versus NDH20 - I am very interested too!

X65 versus NDH30 versus DT1990 too!

Oct 9, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #137 of 149
ok some comparison between ndh 20 and x60,

firstly comfort:x60 is much better as it covers the whole ear, and provids better isolation. ndh 20 is bit heavier and very uncomfortable on top of the head. however x60 does not breath at all.... you do need to took it off from time to time to let the ear breath a little bit.

build :ndh20 is much better built and feels premier as the whole thing is formed out of aluminum. but x60 is much easier to fold and carry around.

sound:they are very different......world apart i would say

x60 wins in sound stage size overall (width)

ndh20 wins in sound density overall (mids)

x60 seems to have better resolutions but ndh20 gives you better defined bass.

both have good upper mids, X60 gives you more air but ndh20 gives you more sparkle. so pick your poison....

as conclusion those two headphone are set for different usege in my opinion.

ndh20 required much more power to drive makes it ideal for office desk. x60 is both light in loads and weight therefore much suited for dap and travels. if you prefer vocal music ndh20 is better in that regards, but x60 makes instruments feels lively.

Feb 29, 2024 at 6:47 AM Post #138 of 149
Can anyone confirm that the Austrian Audio Hi-X60 sounds a bit more ‘hollow’ in the mids than Beyerdynamic DT700. Switching forth and back there is a difference between the 2. Even after Oratory EQ both hp sound very different. Might be the more intimate character vs the wider sounding Austrian. Both sound fabulous btw, entirely different from each other for studio headphone. I love the detailed and spacey character of the Hi-X60.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 3:49 AM Post #139 of 149
Can anyone confirm that the Austrian Audio Hi-X60 sounds a bit more ‘hollow’ in the mids than Beyerdynamic DT700. Switching forth and back there is a difference between the 2. Even after Oratory EQ both hp sound very different. Might be the more intimate character vs the wider sounding Austrian. Both sound fabulous btw, entirely different from each other for studio headphone. I love the detailed and spacey character of the Hi-X60.
To answer my own question, I switched the shorter cable for the longer, problem gone. Hi-X60 is a detail monster.

Mar 2, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #140 of 149
Mar 3, 2024 at 5:27 AM Post #142 of 149
I have the Hi-X60 for a few days, but I read some worrying posts about head band cracked issues. Is this a widespread thing or some isolated cases? Love the sound but I can still return them..
Outside of Austrian Audio it might be hard to say if its widespread or isolated cases. As long as I owned the X60 (and the X55 before it) I did not have that problem. I do tend to baby my headphones though, since I sell most sooner or later.

If you like the sound, maybe talk to Austrian Audio about how this is handled should it occur. If that answer is not reassuring enough to you, you could still send them back.

I really liked the X60 for its sound signature, comfort and isolation.

Mar 3, 2024 at 7:54 AM Post #143 of 149
It is important not to widen or tighten the metal band by leveraging the speakers. It seems pretty obvious to me that it takes several pounds to bend the steel used (probably heat treated).

Mar 3, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #144 of 149
Outside of Austrian Audio it might be hard to say if its widespread or isolated cases. As long as I owned the X60 (and the X55 before it) I did not have that problem. I do tend to baby my headphones though, since I sell most sooner or later.

If you like the sound, maybe talk to Austrian Audio about how this is handled should it occur. If that answer is not reassuring enough to you, you could still send them back.

I really liked the X60 for its sound signature, comfort and isolation.

Thanks, but I see more than a few here and on Reddit who have these cracking headband issues. Austrian does fix it but they just replace it with the same material. I am kind of worried about that and future costs. Anyway, also have the DT700 on view, not really overwhelmed by it. It’s a good headphone but I do find it a bit muffled and it’s soundstage too narrow, something I liked much better with the Hi-60. Also the DT700 is not as detail revealing as the Hi-X60. So might end up sending them back both.

If you have any recommendations for studio hp, I produce Techno/electronic music, I can only have closed back at the moment, price limit is around €300. Looking for something that will come close to open back sounding, neutral, detailed. Not overhyped stuff like ATH50x. Any experience with Ultrasone Signature Studio? I can get a returned pair for below €300. I am open for other options!

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #145 of 149
I have the Hi-X60 for a few days, but I read some worrying posts about head band cracked issues. Is this a widespread thing or some isolated cases? Love the sound but I can still return them..
I've had the Hi-X60 for nearly two years now and have used them almost daily (though I don't abuse them and use them only at home). No problems whatsoever with the headband cracking or coming apart. The phones seem extremely well made. They have an excellent guarantee, and in my experience Austrian Audio's customer service has been stellar.

Mar 3, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #146 of 149
Thanks, but I see more than a few here and on Reddit who have these cracking headband issues. Austrian does fix it but they just replace it with the same material. I am kind of worried about that and future costs. Anyway, also have the DT700 on view, not really overwhelmed by it. It’s a good headphone but I do find it a bit muffled and it’s soundstage too narrow, something I liked much better with the Hi-60. Also the DT700 is not as detail revealing as the Hi-X60. So might end up sending them back both.

If you have any recommendations for studio hp, I produce Techno/electronic music, I can only have closed back at the moment, price limit is around €300. Looking for something that will come close to open back sounding, neutral, detailed. Not overhyped stuff like ATH50x. Any experience with Ultrasone Signature Studio? I can get a returned pair for below €300. I am open for other options!
Of course its your decision, but soundwise I think they are a really good match for your use case.

I had a Shure SRH840A for a short time, which I quite liked as well. Don't remember them as having a vast soundstage, but decent bass with good extension, not overdone, and keeping a nice balance with mids and treble. Very lightweight, good comfort, and well within your budget If you decide to return the X60.

Mar 3, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #147 of 149
I've had the Hi-X60 for nearly two years now and have used them almost daily (though I don't abuse them and use them only at home). No problems whatsoever with the headband cracking or coming apart. The phones seem extremely well made. They have an excellent guarantee, and in my experience Austrian Audio's customer service has been stellar.
Ok, that’s good to hear. Well.. I sleep on it, tomorrow a fresh day. Oh, and how about the earpads, will they last a long time? They are way more expensive compared to those Beyer fluffy teddy pads.

Mar 3, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #148 of 149
Ok, that’s good to hear. Well.. I sleep on it, tomorrow a fresh day. Oh, and how about the earpads, will they last a long time? They are way more expensive compared to those Beyer fluffy teddy pads.
I think thats at least in part because its always a set of earpads + headband cushions. At least thats the case with X55 and X65

Mar 3, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #149 of 149
Of course its your decision, but soundwise I think they are a really good match for your use case.

I had a Shure SRH840A for a short time, which I quite liked as well. Don't remember them as having a vast soundstage, but decent bass with good extension, not overdone, and keeping a nice balance with mids and treble. Very lightweight, good comfort, and well within your budget If you decide to return the X60.
Good tip thanks, they where on my list as well. They are not super neutral, but we have the Ortarory eq settings for that of course!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back