Austrian Audio Hi-X60 closed back studio headphone
Feb 11, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #106 of 149
The new ....... is above the HD800S and and many many more overpriced Flagships...with their partly aucustically incorect performances 🙈

In terms of Build/Construction and in Tonality/Sound

NOMAX

PS.and I am already looking forward to the faces of the competition 😉

Do you know what the price range will be?

Mar 1, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #107 of 149
Any chance one of the US retailers will discount this like Thomann did?

Mar 2, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #108 of 149
Back in the Hi-X60 gang. I did originally buy these shortly after they came out thanks to the recommendation of @plakat. They impressed me, I respected them. But then I went for D700 Pro X as my "portable" headphone. Those didn't work out. Maybe now because I'm running the X60 from a different source - mostly Mojo 2 and Acoustic Research AR-M2 - they sound more dynamic and engaging than I remember. Indeed, I'm very impressed with them - precise, clean, detailed, linear, punchy when the music's punchy. Build and design remain top notch. Finding actually good sounding portable headphones is very difficult. X60 are definitely up there when it comes to checking most of the boxes.

Mar 2, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #109 of 149
Back in the Hi-X60 gang. I did originally buy these shortly after they came out thanks to the recommendation of @plakat. They impressed me, I respected them. But then I went for D700 Pro X as my "portable" headphone. Those didn't work out. Maybe now because I'm running the X60 from a different source - mostly Mojo 2 and Acoustic Research AR-M2 - they sound more dynamic and engaging than I remember. Indeed, I'm very impressed with them - precise, clean, detailed, linear, punchy when the music's punchy. Build and design remain top notch. Finding actually good sounding portable headphones is very difficult. X60 are definitely up there when it comes to checking most of the boxes.
I was on the verge of rebuying them multiple times already... sold my last Mojo long ago, but long for one again and again, despite still owning a Hugo 1... the Mojo is simply more portable, and yes, it has nice dynamics. I can imagine it pairs really well with the X60. Hm... on the other hand... I still have too many headphones :wink:

Mar 2, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #110 of 149
I was on the verge of rebuying them multiple times already... sold my last Mojo long ago, but long for one again and again, despite still owning a Hugo 1... the Mojo is simply more portable, and yes, it has nice dynamics. I can imagine it pairs really well with the X60. Hm... on the other hand... I still have too many headphones :wink:
Absolutely, too many myself, though lacked a decent portable. Audio-Technica WP900 would serve as an excellent portable headphone, but it's too ostentatious to wear outside, and also not really the durable sort. I did try a few others recently - MSR7B (pad issue), DT770 (hollow mids), Tago T3-01 (lack of dynamics), Ultrasound Sig Pro (clamp pressure), Meze 99 (great but not really portable), T5P 2nd Gen (great aside from bloated mid-bass), Meze Liric (strident timbre).

X60 may well be best option!

Mar 6, 2023 at 4:51 AM Post #111 of 149
Anyone know of a 3rd party cable that is compatible with X60? Not really looking for sound quality, just for ergonomics. I just received this nice looking cable, which I thought would work but it doesn't - https://www.audiohobby.eu/et/for-he...lug-sennheiser-bayonet-hpsc-35hd500-2x5m.html

Seems like the bayonet 2.5mm end on the X60 cable is very particular:

1130112.jpg

Mar 6, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #112 of 149
Anyone know of a 3rd party cable that is compatible with X60? Not really looking for sound quality, just for ergonomics. I just received this nice looking cable, which I thought would work but it doesn't - https://www.audiohobby.eu/et/for-he...lug-sennheiser-bayonet-hpsc-35hd500-2x5m.html

Seems like the bayonet 2.5mm end on the X60 cable is very particular:

1130112.jpg
I’m in the same boat wanted a shorter more pliable cable and can’t find the right adapter. The Sennheiser one looks the same but doesn’t fit. After a few purchases that didn’t fit I gave up and used a file to shave down the plastic housing a bit on one of them. It doesn’t lock but does fit without issue.

Mar 6, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #113 of 149
I’m in the same boat wanted a shorter more pliable cable and can’t find the right adapter. The Sennheiser one looks the same but doesn’t fit. After a few purchases that didn’t fit I gave up and used a file to shave down the plastic housing a bit on one of them. It doesn’t lock but does fit without issue.
Cheers. Also tried a cheap Amazon Sennheiser adapter, indeed doesn't work. I'm now waiting to hear from one of my regular cable makers about this. Can update you if desired. I do wonder if a regular 2.5mm non locking plug would work?

I did see this - https://fogcityaudio.com/products/austrian-audio-headphone-cable - but quality looks a bit iffy, tbh (cheap plugs especially).

Mar 6, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #114 of 149
Mar 9, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #115 of 149
Same here. Looking to build another cable for the Hi-X65, Hi-X60 and a compatible 2.5mm connector at the left earcup has been difficult to find. I’d rather build it myself than buy a premade cable. I’ll try e-mailing Austrian Audio and see if they can help.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #116 of 149
Yes please let us know what to find that works. :)
Same here. Looking to build another cable for the Hi-X65, Hi-X60 and a compatible 2.5mm connector at the left earcup has been difficult to find. I’d rather build it myself than buy a premade cable. I’ll try e-mailing Austrian Audio and see if they can help.
I've tried a few cables since my last post, and none fit - not even straight non-locking 2.5mm plugs. Arctic Cables are sending me a bunch of plugs, but I suspect only the proprietary Austrian Audio ones will work.

Mar 9, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #117 of 149
I've tried a few cables since my last post, and none fit - not even straight non-locking 2.5mm plugs. Arctic Cables are sending me a bunch of plugs, but I suspect only the proprietary Austrian Audio ones will work.
i'm thinking of polishing off my soldering skills and making an adapter from the original cable. I'll leave the proprietary adapter on and cut the cable a few inches below the adapter. I can then solder on a female 3.5mm socket, which will allow me to use any 3.5mm cable. it will look clunky but should work ok. I've done similar jobs on beyers over the years so i wouldn't have to open the cups, to do removable cable mods. i'm not the greatest solderer but on the beyers it was easy enough.

Mar 9, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #118 of 149
I doubt that AA has custom made plugs… but they seem to use a rather esoteric part. I’d have preferred a standard 3,5mm with optional locking mechanism (i.e. large enough for slim plugs) over the existing solution with that extra small and long entry. I just don’t trust 2,5mm.

Mar 9, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #119 of 149
I doubt that AA has custom made plugs… but they seem to use a rather esoteric part. I’d have preferred a standard 3,5mm with optional locking mechanism (i.e. large enough for slim plugs) over the existing solution with that extra small and long entry. I just don’t trust 2,5mm.
That would be good if it is merely an esoteric part that's otherwise available. Yes, standard 3.5mm would have been ideal on every front.

Apr 28, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #120 of 149
Well, follow up to the replacement cable issue. I contacted Austrian Audio and they weren't terribly helpful in terms of selling the connecting part, which does indeed seem to be proprietary. So I sent a spare cable to Matt at Forza Audioworks and he made me one by chopping the end off. He tells me it was a lot of work to get it done properly, so not sure how keen he will be to repeat the process. Worth asking if you're interested.

Anyway, just received and very happy with the results. This is a Claire Hybrid terminating in Furutech 3.5mm. I've had this cable numerous times and it works perfectly in a portable set-up. Haven't really A/B'd with stock cable in terms of sound, but I mostly bought it for ergonomics and daily use. All in all, top recommendation.

20230428_155351.jpg20230428_155416.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back