Austrian Audio Hi-X60 closed back studio headphone
Jan 23, 2023 at 7:24 AM Post #92 of 149
Which DAP can you recommend for HI-X60 mobile listening. And / or What DAC/AMP can you recommend for making a sandwich with a phone (iPhone)
I’ve mainly used the Apple lightning dongle to connect to my iPhone, works very well with the X60, which is quite efficient.

Jan 23, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #93 of 149
I mostly used them with the Apple Lightning dongle on my iPhone… works very well
That's what I love about the Hi-X55 and Hi-X60 headphones I have - they sound spot on right out of headphone output from my Apple devices. No need for a DAC/headphone amp. Started with Hi-X55, couldn't make them sound right through my systems at home, so moved them to work, where connected to my iMac there and with EQ adjustment to slightly enhance bass (I'm now used to Beyerdynamic's sound a bit too much... :) ) - and bingo, hit the sweet spot. Now there are moments where I'm listening to Apple Music stream while working and I need to stop for a moment and just focus on the music, as they sound just absolutely perfect! Got then Hi-X60 for home as a go to headphone for any quick headphone listening, when there's no time to get to my more sophisticated systems. Realised that there's no need to chase top equipment when so much fun can be had for just ~£300! :D

Jan 23, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #94 of 149
That's what I love about the Hi-X55 and Hi-X60 headphones I have - they sound spot on right out of headphone output from my Apple devices. No need for a DAC/headphone amp. Started with Hi-X55, couldn't make them sound right through my systems at home, so moved them to work, where connected to my iMac there and with EQ adjustment to slightly enhance bass (I'm now used to Beyerdynamic's sound a bit too much... :) ) - and bingo, hit the sweet spot. Now there are moments where I'm listening to Apple Music stream while working and I need to stop for a moment and just focus on the music, as they sound just absolutely perfect! Got then Hi-X60 for home as a go to headphone for any quick headphone listening, when there's no time to get to my more sophisticated systems. Realised that there's no need to chase top equipment when so much fun can be had for just ~£300! :D
I couldn’t agree more. I was trialing headphones costing 4-5x as much as the Hi-X60 and having a difficult time choosing (mainly because I wasn’t completely satisfied with any one of them). I then came across this thread and another recommending the Hi-X60 and I decided to take a chance and order. I’m listening to mine using a Fiio BTR7, eq’d to oratory’s settings, and Qobuz through Audirvāna sounds fantastic. The soundstage, timbre of instruments, and dynamics are very satisfying. I was listening to a song with a vibraphone yesterday and it felt like I was playing them myself as I could clearly hear the mallet hitting the keys.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #95 of 149
Which DAP can you recommend for HI-X60 mobile listening. And / or What DAC/AMP can you recommend for making a sandwich with a phone (iPhone)
I recommend the QLS QA361. I bought it to drive also bigger headphones not only my IEMs because it's very powerful. It has got a really neutral tuning so it's perfect for me to listen to the music as it was mixed originally. No discoloration or anything. I came from iPhone SE stack with Beyer impacto (mod) universal, tested iBasso DX120 and Shanling M6 (2019 version) and ended up at the QA361. Still enjoying few hours per week.

Jan 23, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #96 of 149
Ok, you've convinced me, I'll try with an Apple dongle first.
In addition, I will check how it plays with the Macbook Air M1. It will probably sound pretty similar.
In addition, I have Pathos Aurium, so I will also be able to check on some better equipment whether it is worth looking for something better than an Apple dongle.

Jan 24, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #100 of 149
I’ve been very satisfied with this combination (BTR7 and Hi-X60). The Hi-X60 is already near perfectly tuned (in my mind), so EQ does not alter the sound significantly. What I like about the BTR7 is its extremely low noise floor (near dead silence), clarity, and ability to produce a good level of dynamics between soft and loud passages. The BTR7 and Hi-X60 combo handles the complexity of jazz well - including realistic cymbals, brushes, piano, double bass, etc… both in timbre and attack. Well recorded live concerts are especially enjoyable, including rock. I listened to Dire Straits Telegraph Road last evening and even in the finale, could separate all the instruments. I can recommend it, but also feel other DAC/AMPs would likely provide similar signatures (especially those using the ESS DACs like the Questyle M15).

Jan 26, 2023 at 12:38 AM Post #101 of 149
Very efficient headphones. Sound good out of anything that has a reasonable output. Apple dongle works great. I also use them on Qudelix 5K, ES100, Surface Pro 8 and MBP14 M1. I think you will be quite pleased with Apple dongle from your iPhone.

Feb 10, 2023 at 5:52 AM Post #103 of 149
I was considering the Hi-X65 as my first „better soundquality“ headphones to just enjoy music beside my AirPods Max. (i‘m Austrian and have a little home bias)

but as i read now the news of sennheiser‘s new hd660S2. How do they compare to th Hi-x65?

And as i read in this forum rumors about a new Austrian Audio headphone positioned on a higher level. Do you expect it to be at the level of HD660s2 or HD800s of sennheiser? of even higher?

Feb 11, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #104 of 149
I was considering the Hi-X65 as my first „better soundquality“ headphones to just enjoy music beside my AirPods Max. (i‘m Austrian and have a little home bias)

but as i read now the news of sennheiser‘s new hd660S2. How do they compare to th Hi-x65?

And as i read in this forum rumors about a new Austrian Audio headphone positioned on a higher level. Do you expect it to be at the level of HD660s2 or HD800s of sennheiser? of even higher?
Hi!
yes, there seems something to be in the works... @Nomax teased us that we might get a peek at our Vienna Meet on 2023-04-15. While we can't promise anything, I sure would love to have some details as well.
Since you're in Vienna I'd like to invite you to drop by (everybody else is welcome just as well of course). We announce our meets here btw:
Vienna Meet & Social http://www.head-fi.org/t/786111/austria-head-fi-lounge

Feb 11, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #105 of 149
The new ....... is above the HD800S and and many many more overpriced Flagships...with their partly aucustically incorect performances 🙈

And also in terms of Build/Construction and in Tonality/Sound

NOMAX

PS.and I am already looking forward to the faces of the competition 😉

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back