Austrian Audio Hi-X60 closed back studio headphone
Aug 30, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #76 of 149
Here's a brief review of the Austrian Audio Hi-X60 headphones, which I've now had a for a few months. I bought them to replace my NAD HP50 headphones, which I liked very much despite the fact that they were somewhat uncomfortable. I was looking for a pair of neutral, closed-back headphones with a decent sense of space. One specific requirement is that replacement pads needed to be available from the original manufacturer (I've had too many experiences where the pads have worn out on headphones and all the non-OEM replacement pads I've tried have messed up the sound). I listen mostly to classical music of all types except vocal.

Build quality and comfort:
These phones are very well made and seems as though they should be very durable. Contrary to some reports above, they arrived in perfect condition. They are very comfortable; I've had no problems wearing them for extended periods of time. Isolation is extremely good. The phones are not super-sensitive to how they are placed on the ears - moving them around a bit on my head seems to make no difference in sound quality. Replacement ear pads and headband pad are available from Austrian Audio.

There are two possible negatives. First, these phones are heavier than other phones I've previously used. This does not affect comfort, but it does cause them to slip way out of position if I, say, lean over to pick something up off the floor. They are definitely not the phones to use while exercising or otherwise engaged in any activity that involves a lot of motion. Not a problem for me, since I only wear them while sitting in my chair or on the couch. Second, these phones seem to need a solid seal around the ear to sound their best, and that seal can be broken if you wear eyeglasses. With my glasses on, I notice a slight loss of immediacy, the sound has a bit less of the "you are there" quality. I've cut some thin foam pads to place around my eyeglass temples and fill in the space between the temples and my head; this seems to solve (or at least greatly minimize) the problem.

Sound Quality:
Really good!
The bass is extended, clean and natural. There no bloat or exageration, which I find to be a problem with many other phones. Midrange is accurate and natural, and highs seem natural without being harsh. Overall, instrumental timbres seem very natural and accurate. There's plenty of detail, but it in no way interferes with simply enjoying the music. There's an excellent sense of space, particularly for a closed-back phone. So far as it's possible to compare speakers and headphones, the sound from these phones is very close to that of my carefully set-up ProAC 1SC's, which are my reference.

In sum, I'm very happy with these phones. They have the accurate, natural sound quality that I so liked with the NAD HP50s, but are far more comfortable, have an even better sense of space, and appear to be more durably built.

I hope this is helpful for anyone considering buying these phones!

Sep 7, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #77 of 149
These interest me. Being an owner of the HI-X65 and what that headphone can do after a little eq. The HI-X60 has extremely peaked my interest. I'd easily take the HI-X65 over the OG Focal Clear after eq. I'm very curios to hear how the HI-X60 compares. Basically a closed back HI-X65 with some slight tuning changes. Detail retrieval and dynamics should be very impressive though.
hi, what eq settings do you use with the hi-x65? thx

Sep 7, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #78 of 149
A caveat for those with smaller heads - the Hi-x60 headband is quite large and even at minimum excursion these will hang (literally) from the top of your ears and are not overly secure. There won’t be any seal at the bottom of the cups which makes outside usage moot. Had to return mine for this reason. Pity as they sounded good when indoors.
The Hi-x50 ( which isnt talked about much around here) is an on-ear alternate, tuned slightly differently with a mid-bass bump absent on the 55,60 & 65.

Sep 11, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #79 of 149
A caveat for those with smaller heads - the Hi-x60 headband is quite large and even at minimum excursion these will hang (literally) from the top of your ears and are not overly secure. There won’t be any seal at the bottom of the cups which makes outside usage moot. Had to return mine for this reason. Pity as they sounded good when indoors.
FWIW, I have a smallish head and the Hi-X60's fit fine with the headband expanded 1 notch on each side. There are no gaps at the bottom (which I think would be fatal for the sound - these phones need a solid seal around the ears to sound their best). As I mentioned in my previous message, because of their weight these phones will tend to slide off your head if you are exercising or otherwise moving around a lot. But this is not necessarily a design flaw. The clamping force is sufficient to keep the phone from moving on your head while you are sitting or walking, but light enough to make the phones supremely comfortable. I believe Austrian Audio found the right balance here.

Sep 11, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #80 of 149
FWIW, I have a smallish head and the Hi-X60's fit fine with the headband expanded 1 notch on each side. There are no gaps at the bottom (which I think would be fatal for the sound - these phones need a solid seal around the ears to sound their best). As I mentioned in my previous message, because of their weight these phones will tend to slide off your head if you are exercising or otherwise moving around a lot. But this is not necessarily a design flaw. The clamping force is sufficient to keep the phone from moving on your head while you are sitting or walking, but light enough to make the phones supremely comfortable. I believe Austrian Audio found the right balance here.
Clearly my head is smaller than yours…These are good phones - I’m not criticising the overall quality/sound signature, my comment is more a reminder to try before you buy if you meet certain criteria. That the on-ears work with the same headband indicates that physiological variance is a factor.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #81 of 149
These have a lot of room and are very soft. A lot more room than my Meze 99 Noire. My ears basically never get uncomfortable. These do seal extremely well though and will be bass light until they depressurize a bit. Takes a couple minutes for the bass to come back in fully in my experience. This always trips me up a bit when doing quick A/B testing as it seems really bass light and then I leave it on my head for a bit and everything sounds great.

Sep 12, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #82 of 149
Clearly my head is smaller than yours…These are good phones - I’m not criticising the overall quality/sound signature, my comment is more a reminder to try before you buy if you meet certain criteria. That the on-ears work with the same headband indicates that physiological variance is a factor.
Understood and agreed - headphone fit (and therefore sound) can vary greatly depending on your head's shape and size.

Nov 10, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #83 of 149
Hi, i'm looking to buy a Austrian Audio headphone for mix/listening use. The reason i'm planning to get one of these is because i'm interested in a analytical sound headphone, also been a fan of AKG older headphones. How does the Hi-x60 sounds compared to the open back version Hi-x65 ?

Nov 10, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #84 of 149
Hi, i'm looking to buy a Austrian Audio headphone for mix/listening use. The reason i'm planning to get one of these is because i'm interested in a analytical sound headphone, also been a fan of AKG older headphones. How does the Hi-x60 sounds compared to the open back version Hi-x65 ?
Hi Phunky, I would suggest you to read the whole thread. On post #54 I shared my impression with the comparison of both models, X60 and X65.

Jan 18, 2023 at 7:11 AM Post #86 of 149
What would you all recommend for a portable DAC/AMP to pair with these? I was thinking about the Cayin RU6, Questyle M15/12, or something from Hidizs, but open to other suggestions….many thanks!

Jan 18, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #88 of 149
What would you all recommend for a portable DAC/AMP to pair with these? I was thinking about the Cayin RU6, Questyle M15/12, or something from Hidizs, but open to other suggestions….many thanks!
I mostly used them with the Apple Lightning dongle on my iPhone… works very well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back