Austrian Audio Hi-X60 closed back studio headphone
May 13, 2022 at 5:27 AM Post #61 of 149
I wouldn’t recommend ordering the X60 to US because the company seems to have a few quality issues with the X60. I bought it directly at the local store (session) and had problems with 2 models. First one with loose cable fitting and broken joint stop on left ear piece. Second one had heavy driver flex (annoying crackling noise when moving jaw or adjusting ear piece). Now the third one is without problems. Read about quality issues with X65 too at ASR forum. Austrian Audio seems to be too new in the market to handle quality management in big scale. But the SQ of these headphones is so damn good that it’s make everything else 😍.
I am delighted with the sound of the X65, with EQ they are incredible. Unfortunately I also had problems on 2 models that concerned the plastics and headband. Even the X65 that I currently have is not aesthetically a marvel. I point out that I am very meticulous in handling my headphones. I have the HD650 (2013) without any micro imperfections so to speak. I am very sorry because the sound performance is of the first order.:beerchug:

May 19, 2022 at 3:38 AM Post #64 of 149
Subbass: Present but seems very controlled
Bass: Quite neutral/punchy
Mids: Present will have listen to more genres
Highs: Haven't had anything fatiguing yet
Stage: Good instrument separation

Sources: LG G8X, MBP 14 M1 and Apple USB-C Dongle

Seal and isolation is very strong. Drivers start dampened and loosen up quickly after placing them on your head. Very comfortable.

Doing a bass sweep can feel down to mid 20s. Might be into a bit more quantity but there is definitely a good amount there when there is supposed to be.

Enjoying all kinds of music on these so far. Bass is fast enough to keep up with Animals as Leaders. Heard some things I hadn't noticed before in some tracks due to the separation which was interesting. Foo Fighters sounded decently full unlike when I demoed CFA Equinox. Same with Eternity Forever. It didn't sound scooped at all. RX Y vocals sound great and the bass line is tidy on the track Shoreline. Chet Faker beats hit hard but aren't overpowering. Richard Spaven vocals sound real good. You can really hear the ride cymbal in Show Me What You Got. Seem to handle Ryo Fukui too.

These seem to be decently versatile. I keep trying different things. Some of the music I've tested so far below:

Last edited:
May 19, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #65 of 149
Was a bit worried when I got them that they didn't have enough bass/subbass. Not sure if it was drivers or pads or what but they have plenty now.

Definitely no bloat though and could even like a bit more mid bass to thicken up some rock songs.

Listened to a ton of stuff last night. Quite enjoyable!

Last edited:
May 20, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #66 of 149
These get great reviews as "studio/monitor/reference" HP's, how are they for "listenin/enjoying" music? Too energetic or forward or detailed for when you want kick back & get lost in the music? I am using a Vali 2 & HD600, but I need closed back HP's and these are very affordable, but I'd rather buy once & cry once than end up with 'mmmm, yea, no, that's not it' [insert deep sigh here]. Music library runs from acoustic to classical & opera to grateful dead and Frank Zappa, so fairly varied.
Comments on your experiences (please)?

May 22, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #67 of 149
These get great reviews as "studio/monitor/reference" HP's, how are they for "listenin/enjoying" music? Too energetic or forward or detailed for when you want kick back & get lost in the music? I am using a Vali 2 & HD600, but I need closed back HP's and these are very affordable, but I'd rather buy once & cry once than end up with 'mmmm, yea, no, that's not it' [insert deep sigh here]. Music library runs from acoustic to classical & opera to grateful dead and Frank Zappa, so fairly varied.
it depends on what your preferences are. if you want to listen to the music as recorded then this is the headphone for you. for example, when using hi-x60, i noticed that a lot of pop songs lack bass so i am thinking that maybe the producers tune down the bass a little to suit mass market bass boosted earphones more (to prevent the song from sounding muddy). but, when it comes to real-time recording like orchestra, live concert etc. the bass is just fine. so, in summary, if the bass is there, hi-x60 will show you.

May 22, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #68 of 149
I think they are quit honest and show what is in a recording -- which is their purpose of course. Yet they are far from fun-avoiding bass light sound microscopes that are sometimes labeled studio headphones. With the X60 musical enjoyment may depend a bit more on recording quality than with normal consumer headphones, but I think they do present all styles very well, including electronica. Plus they sound quite open, compared with closed back models that isolate equally well.

May 23, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #70 of 149
I've been using these just for music and movies so far. They've not given me any fatigue, they sound very clear and the bass is present all the way down without sounding bloated.

Aug 12, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #74 of 149
Is anyone able to give the earpad height and depth?

Depth around 3cm, minus a few mm for the cover over the drivers.
Opening across the long side : around 7.3cm
across the short side : around 4.7cm.

But in my opinion that is an improper way to estimate how they'll actually fit your head. The QC45's earpads depth and opening are smaller than the Hi-X65 and yet it's on the latter that my ear lobes touch the cover over the drivers and less so on the former.

Some hypothesis why that might be the case :
- the QC45's pads are shallower, but the "hard" part of the earcup is deeper right where the earlobes are, while for the Hi-X65 the entire depth is the pads' depth themselves and nothing else.
- the QC45's pads opening is narrower, but the pads immediately recede after the contact patch area, leaving room for your ear lobes right where they're likely to be, cf cross section :
tempImageZWmCHa.png
+ the pads attachment mechanism is more economical with space in that area, ie while the pads' opening is narrower, once your earlobes are inside the available space is just as large if not more.
- The narrower contact patch for the QC45 places the earpads closer to the ear at the bottom rear, while the Hi-X65's larger contact patch area places them further away, where the shape of one's head is likely to recede more towards the neck and away from the "plane" around your ears.
- The thin and tall pads of the Hi-X65 may compress a little bit more when worn, and they tend to age rather quickly IMO in that regard.

In both cases though the yoke provide plenty of freely-moving range of motion so for me that isn't a differentiating factor.

Anyway, all that to say : these numbers may not be a good predictor of how they'll fit your head.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022 at 12:01 AM Post #75 of 149
Anyway, all that to say : these numbers may not be a good predictor of how they'll fit your head.

That is incredibly thorough. Thanks for taking the time to write this. It's refreshing too see someone who considers the wild differences between earpads, cups and comfort. These are all observations I 100% agree with.

I have an awfully difficult time finding headphones I'm comfortable with. My QC25's are standouts for the exact reasons you mentioned... namely that once I tuck my ears in there is a decent amount of space inside. This is facilitated by the earpads recessing inwards, as well as the added cup depth at the rear due to the angled driver.

Meanwhile, something like a pair of Brainwavz HM5's are not comfortable for me. Yes, there are reasonably tall and thick, but because they don't taper inwards, my ears still ends up pressing against much of the pad.

Typical recommendations like the K371 and DT770 (both of which I own) are awfully uncomfortable for me. I also just had to return a pair of Airpods Max as they squished my earlobes too much (which gutted me, as I really wanted to love them).

Given the measurements you've provided, I suppose I can assume two things about the HI-X60. (1) the HI-X60 has a flat driver housing, and (2) the earpads are a very soft foam (like seen on modern noise cancelling headphones, ala WH1000XM4 / EAH-A800).

Given the cost and fact I'd have to import these, I might hold off on purchasing for now. I'll tell you what though - it's incredibly frustrating finding comfortable closed-back headphones for large ears. I wish Sennheiser had something better than the HD569 to offer.
I am currently considering the DCA Aeon Closed X as well.... but once again, not being able to actually try them on first makes purchasing a risky prospect.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back