Austrian Audio HI-X55
Dec 27, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #196 of 238
You are 100% correct.
I figured that they are both in the studio headphone quality, I'd give a comparison a go. I still think the HI-X55 is a steal at $350 (though I seam to recall picking mine up at $270 when they first hit Guitar Center). To this day, I wish I had ordered a replacement instead of returning and forgetting about them. I have yet to hear a closed-back that performed as well as them - even though they were rather unique in their sound signature (somehow being incredibly detailed without being shouty or harsh).

Simply put - I 100% would use the HI-X55 for anything truly studio-related. If I recall (and its been quite some time since I really listened to the HI-X55), it didn't play well with all of my music. That sound signature works really well for a few different genres, but not for everything. The NDH20, however, while not living up to the hype is still a really fantastic headphone. It is honestly my favorite closed-back because it has fantastic synergy with all of my DAC/amps, even my ZX507 which I didn't think would be able to drive them well. It tells you how the music is without being overly aggressive. It isn't necessarily spacious, BUT I do find that the "space" is 100% dependent on the track. Some headphones will "trap" tracks - making them cramped regardless of the inherent spaciousness of a track. Others will expand a track, sometimes excessively (in my opinion, the Z7M2 does this quite frequently, making a track excessively wide and losing a lot of the intimacy). I think the NDH20s does fantastic at just giving it like it is.

Anyways... this is an HI-X55 thread. Its $350. NDH20 is $500. The HI-X55 easily goes toe to toe - get them if you can.
Xi-55 and Z7M2 are also in my list of favourites. And the are a still - the Z7M2 can be found these days below $600. And these both complement each other very well

Jan 5, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #198 of 238
Anyone know if any third party pads fit these? Or just how to replace the pads in general? Are they glued? Or do they just peel off?

Locked with tabs. If you press on the outer side of the pads to reveal the seam between the plastic and the pads, you'll see them. The pads' base is a very thin plastic ring that lands in between two grooves on the earcups :
Screenshot 2022-01-05 at 15.56.25.png

Be warned that it's an absolutely horrible design and that you may damage the pads when you remove them.
With the replacements AA sends you a little tool to help mounting the new pads and pushing them below the tabs.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #201 of 238
Anyone know if any third party pads fit these? Or just how to replace the pads in general? Are they glued? Or do they just peel off?
As @MayaTlab and @JelStIy already said, you catchende pads and Austrian Audio offers replacement sets which include not only the pads, but also the filters in front of the drivers and the headband cushions.

Yes, I don't like those tabs holding the pads in place not that much... but V-Moda uses the same mechanism on the M-100 series including Crossfade 2, and over time I came to terms with it. Start out at the long sides, gently pulling the pad inwards and inserting a not too sharp flat screwdriver in the small gap between cup and pad base, then pop it out. The tool included with AA's replacement sets should work best since its plastic and won't ruin the cup of the pads.

Obviously this mechanism is not intended for regular changes as to trying out different pads... its just to replace worn out pads when their time has come. But its much better than glued on I think. I still just love those that use magnetic connectors like old B&W P5 (P7 too?), V-Moda M-200 (unfortunately the only aspect of that model that I really like...) or the AirPods Max.

Jan 5, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #204 of 238
Thanks! One more question, if one removes the stock pads, is it possible to re-apply them on? Or do I need to buy the replacement ones?
Just be careful when removing them. Normally they should not break.

Jan 8, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #206 of 238
Another quick question. How much does the sound change with the new pads? Like what differences did you run into?

I have yet to remove mine but I'm planning on it soon, I just don't wanna break it xD

I don’t think there was much of a tonality change, although the bass might be a little more pronounced with the Dekoni pads (I have the Elite Sheepskin ones). The soundstage might be a little tighter because the ear hole is smaller but it’s been a while since I tried the original pads.

I wouldn’t worry too much about damaging the pads or the tabs they click into — just don’t rip them off violently and you’ll be fine. If you want to be safe, just go around the pad unclicking the tabs one by one. The biggest pain is reattaching the original pads (it’s just frustrating, not risky in any way). Which is probably why I never went back to the originals.

Jan 8, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #207 of 238
I don’t think there was much of a tonality change, although the bass might be a little more pronounced with the Dekoni pads (I have the Elite Sheepskin ones). The soundstage might be a little tighter because the ear hole is smaller but it’s been a while since I tried the original pads.

I wouldn’t worry too much about damaging the pads or the tabs they click into — just don’t rip them off violently and you’ll be fine. If you want to be safe, just go around the pad unclicking the tabs one by one. The biggest pain is reattaching the original pads (it’s just frustrating, not risky in any way). Which is probably why I never went back to the originals.
Ah I see, ive got some velour ones so that'll probably influence the sound a little more than sheepskin. I have the X65 (Not X55) and love everything about it but that leather just doesn't go well with my face for some reason, I get major ear fatigue quickly as opposed to my HD600. Thanks for being so resourceful! I appreciate it!

Feb 2, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #208 of 238
I've been using the hi-x55 for over a year for mixing/mastering acoustic music as well as casual listening to mainly classical and jazz and I agree that they are very source sensitive. That trade off to get the level of detail they provide is worth it.

They are excellent mastering tools. They are great at identifying phase issues with mic placement and revealing noise floor issues when mixing tracks. And it is very obvious when the mic/source paring isn't working well. If you cross check your mix effects with these you'll realize you actually need much less.

If it sounds good on these it _should_ sound good on anything.
If it sounds bad on these it _will_ sound bad on some other headphones.

With a good, or even just a well matched, amp they sound excellent. They actually sound great straight out of a pixel 3aXL phone; just a little under powered.

They're also very sensitive to orientation. I prefer them very sealed and forward.

I also found that they often sound better with a little crossfeed, depending on the track.

My preferred setup for listening with them:
Schiit Jotunheim or Heresy, high output, unbalanced
plus about 500+ohms of resistance plugs... seriously... try it.

This really levels out the freq response without losing detail and minimal dynamic range loss. The reduction in dynamic range is probably an improvement. Alot of what is good for mastering is annoying for listening. You don't always want to hear every sniffle, page turn or foot shuffle. My test for good listening is if I can fall asleep while listening. The above setup easily passes that test while still delivering unmatched detail.

or just eq them since adding resistance takes A LOT OF POWER. but, I found eq'ing to be very source material sensitive. using additional resistance seems to work more organically.

My other HP references for comparison:
DT990 600ohm
AKG240DF Balanced 600ohm
Hifiman Sundara Balanced
Austrian Audio Hi-x65
Shure se525 IEM
KZ ZEX Pro Crinacle IEM

Feb 4, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #209 of 238
I've been using the hi-x55 for over a year for mixing/mastering acoustic music as well as casual listening to mainly classical and jazz and I agree that they are very source sensitive. That trade off to get the level of detail they provide is worth it.

They are excellent mastering tools. They are great at identifying phase issues with mic placement and revealing noise floor issues when mixing tracks. And it is very obvious when the mic/source paring isn't working well. If you cross check your mix effects with these you'll realize you actually need much less.

If it sounds good on these it _should_ sound good on anything.
If it sounds bad on these it _will_ sound bad on some other headphones.

With a good, or even just a well matched, amp they sound excellent. They actually sound great straight out of a pixel 3aXL phone; just a little under powered.

They're also very sensitive to orientation. I prefer them very sealed and forward.

I also found that they often sound better with a little crossfeed, depending on the track.

My preferred setup for listening with them:
Schiit Jotunheim or Heresy, high output, unbalanced
plus about 500+ohms of resistance plugs... seriously... try it.

This really levels out the freq response without losing detail and minimal dynamic range loss. The reduction in dynamic range is probably an improvement. Alot of what is good for mastering is annoying for listening. You don't always want to hear every sniffle, page turn or foot shuffle. My test for good listening is if I can fall asleep while listening. The above setup easily passes that test while still delivering unmatched detail.

or just eq them since adding resistance takes A LOT OF POWER. but, I found eq'ing to be very source material sensitive. using additional resistance seems to work more organically.

My other HP references for comparison:
DT990 600ohm
AKG240DF Balanced 600ohm
Hifiman Sundara Balanced
Austrian Audio Hi-x65
Shure se525 IEM
KZ ZEX Pro Crinacle IEM
Yep, the Xi-55 are a marvel - reveling, fun to listen, comfy.

Mar 10, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #210 of 238
There are attached at like 12 places and come off when you pull. You can replace them with Dekoni pads meant for ATH-M50X (they just wrap around the base).

Are these stable, and comfortable? I haven't been using my X55 for several month after one of the pads on the right hand side collpases at the bottom just keeps on depressing into my ear, i only had it for like 7 month of continues use.

it became very uncomfortable within like just 10-20 min of using it, so i switched it out and used it on my Ultrasone DXP (angled brainwavz pads) and using the HXC3 cable from AA, oh boy, perfect sounding for me using Zen Stack, But would still like to fix the X55 pads issue for variety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back