Austrian Audio HI-X55
Sep 29, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #182 of 238
Nov 10, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #187 of 238
It is a high quality protein leather - no issues with intensive use. Have in mind that pads are proprietary.
nice somebodies using these things - i so want to get a pair but with all the formerly 1000 dollar range headphones taking big price dips its tough to pull the trigger r now. are they really as detailed as it gets?? how about general use like an "instant live" cd or streaming low quality - is there some finesse there to enjoy those types of releases? how about gaming fps? - my last monitors were too harsh with the booms and bangs. hard to commit to an EQing for me when gaming apex its so varied

Nov 11, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #188 of 238
nice somebodies using these things - i so want to get a pair but with all the formerly 1000 dollar range headphones taking big price dips its tough to pull the trigger r now. are they really as detailed as it gets?? how about general use like an "instant live" cd or streaming low quality - is there some finesse there to enjoy those types of releases? how about gaming fps? - my last monitors were too harsh with the booms and bangs. hard to commit to an EQing for me when gaming apex its so varied
If you want best for gaming and music go for beyerdynamic dt1990 pro: all metal, 2 kind if pads for different tuning, great imaging and detailing; might be bright if you are treble sensitive but tou may overcome that with additional foam layer in the caps and these are semi-open. Second option is focal elegia - very balanced sound signature, very musical, very good imaging, easy to run, very comfy, very detailed, sparkly but not fatiguing treble, sound like home system speakers, very natural but need more care (much velour) and cable is stiff.

Dec 14, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #190 of 238
Hi-X60 - Professional Closed-Back Over-Ear Headphones
1.gif
https://austrian.audio/headphones/hi-x60/

More about in this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/austrian-audio-hi-x60-closed-back-studio-headphone.960947/

SequencerTalk 113 - Mikrofone + Kopfhörer Austrian Audio Hi-X60 + CC8 etc.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #191 of 238
From the AA website the new 60 is for recording and FOH use. I have both the 55 and 65 ..
The 55 is v analytical, transparent and detailed, v comfortable to wear for a long time. One of my top favorite HPs. Its analytical capability is not that far away from the HD800.

Dec 22, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #192 of 238
I also have the Xi-55 and I agree - it is the best analytical closed back headphone below $1000. And it is comfy. Additionally I also find its soundstage to be quite wide - wider than the Sennheiser's 6 series.

Dec 26, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #195 of 238
NDH20s do not match the Xi-55. NDH20s have very narrow soundstage and far less detail.
You are 100% correct.
I figured that they are both in the studio headphone quality, I'd give a comparison a go. I still think the HI-X55 is a steal at $350 (though I seam to recall picking mine up at $270 when they first hit Guitar Center). To this day, I wish I had ordered a replacement instead of returning and forgetting about them. I have yet to hear a closed-back that performed as well as them - even though they were rather unique in their sound signature (somehow being incredibly detailed without being shouty or harsh).

Simply put - I 100% would use the HI-X55 for anything truly studio-related. If I recall (and its been quite some time since I really listened to the HI-X55), it didn't play well with all of my music. That sound signature works really well for a few different genres, but not for everything. The NDH20, however, while not living up to the hype is still a really fantastic headphone. It is honestly my favorite closed-back because it has fantastic synergy with all of my DAC/amps, even my ZX507 which I didn't think would be able to drive them well. It tells you how the music is without being overly aggressive. It isn't necessarily spacious, BUT I do find that the "space" is 100% dependent on the track. Some headphones will "trap" tracks - making them cramped regardless of the inherent spaciousness of a track. Others will expand a track, sometimes excessively (in my opinion, the Z7M2 does this quite frequently, making a track excessively wide and losing a lot of the intimacy). I think the NDH20s does fantastic at just giving it like it is.

Anyways... this is an HI-X55 thread. Its $350. NDH20 is $500. The HI-X55 easily goes toe to toe - get them if you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back